Power consumption - Samsung S5

Started by Marvout, April 13, 2021, 06:22:14

Marvout

I'm using my old Samsung S5 phone as a GPS on my motorcycle. I is not my active phone, so no SIM card. Has almost no apps on it after a full wipe. GPS on, Bluetooth/WIFI/Cell off. I'm powered by a Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 charger (phone only makes use of 2.0 I understand). Maps are offline. No routing happening. Track is being recorded.

My problem is that my phone isn't taking in more power than it is using. I bought a fresh battery and it still will only run for 4-5 hrs before the phone dies. Shouldn't it be powered up and running indefinitely as long as it is receiving power?

Also, every now and again, Locus Pro just quits. When I restart it, it seems to keep on with the track recording. Not sure why that is happening.

Are there more things I should be doing/turning off in order to have the charger keep up?

•  

lor74cas

Is it a device or locus problem?
It is never a good idea to leave battery powered devices connected to the power supply all the time. The battery and the phone tend to overheat.
You should check that battery optimization is not active for locus.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Marvout

Device or Locus?... That's what I don't know. Are others running Locus for long days in vehicles where they have the device plugged in? Is the charger keeping up?

I wonder if I need to move to a bluetooth GPS?
  •  

ThomasD.

I run an Kyocera Duraforce Pro and an Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact connected via PogoPins on my motorcycle. Used on journeys where I am riding whole day. Both devices lose power over the day, because charging over PogoPins does not compare to QuickCharge.

You may check charging with Ampere to check how much charging you reach with your setting.   
Regards,
Tom
  •