Startkart, Norway

Started by Frivold, March 26, 2021, 09:14:19

Frivold

Hi,

Some years ago you did a change in Statkart map and changed it from country to raster map.

I don't like the rastermap at all. It has much lower resolution, and few details compared to countrymap.
Especially at level 14 and 15, I think rastermap is poor. For use in Geocaching, for example, countrymap is much better for fine navigation.
(See example of the same map section, with the two different maps).

I brought this up with you a few years ago, but you wouldn't do anything about it that time. I have therefore tweaked it with an XML file, so I get the map I want, but when I recommend LocusMap to other norwegians, I have lost my best "selling point", namely the Norwegian map from the Statens Kartverk (statkart).

If you want you are welcome to keep Topo and Sailing as it is now, what I ask for is that you in addition can offer countrymap without changes (in all zooms).

Please, I think norwegians love this maps from Statkart because of their rich details, and its free to use, so I think LocusMap should offer them.
  •  

JonRei

Don't disagree that it would be nice to have both topo and raster as native maps, but you can bring in topo4 as a WMS service. May be that is what you mean by XML tweak?
  •  

voldapet

Hi,
thank you for the post. It seems that we forgot to update all layers when we updated from Statkart topo3 to topo4  a couple of months ago.
Anyway the Statkart topo map use thefollowing layers:
- zoom < 15 is used toporaster4
- zoom >= 15 is used topo4
The same system was used for the former Topo3 version
Thanks, Petr
  •  

Frivold

Quote from: JonRei on April 08, 2021, 09:48:47
Don't disagree that it would be nice to have both topo and raster as native maps, but you can bring in topo4 as a WMS service. May be that is what you mean by XML tweak?

No, I get the map as ordinary online-map in Locus. I have tried WMS, but it is slower, and not so good as the online topo4 map.
  •  

Frivold

Quote from: voldapet on April 08, 2021, 23:11:45
Hi,
thank you for the post. It seems that we forgot to update all layers when we updated from Statkart topo3 to topo4  a couple of months ago.
Anyway the Statkart topo map use thefollowing layers:
- zoom < 15 is used toporaster4
- zoom >= 15 is used topo4
The same system was used for the former Topo3 version
Thanks, Petr

Thanks for answer. Now I see Topo from Statkart is much better in zoom >= 15.

Still, I prefer to use topo4 in all zooms, I think theese are nicer maps. Topo raster is much more messy, and I don't understand why you have to mix this in, and not use topo4 purely, as it is original from the Norwegian Mapping Authority (Statens Kartverk). Possibly as another map that we can choose.

But that said, it got a lot better now, but I would have had topo4 in all zooms.
(So I'm glad I have the tweak, but I treat other Norwegians to this opportunity as well.)
  •  

andhaa

Hi, please share the XML-tweak with us. I also prefer topo4
  •