Route planning

Started by SonnyS, July 29, 2020, 13:26:54

SonnyS

Often when the route includes an unpaved, yet public road I cannot continue creating the route unless I switch to a walking profile or draw manually.
The roads I'm experiencing trouble with are not private, not gated, not off road trails. They are always open public roads that just don't have asphalt on them. The odd thing is there can be two similar roads in the same area, both appear the same on the map yet one will allow the route to continue and one will not.
I've tried every different Brouter routing profile combination I could.
Is this a Brouter issue or Locus issue ?
I've tried mountain bike profile but then if there is a bike path through the woods it takes that as the shortest route.
My primary use for Locus is Adventure motorcycle riding. That type of riding includes finding as many unpaved roads as possible and planning a journey, whether it be around your area of around the world.
Locus is the most popular app among riders. I know Locus is highly used for bicycling and hiking but anything that could be added to help motorcyclist would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

•  

poutnikl

It would help if you provide a BRouter-web link of such a route ( with whatever profile ) so OSN tagging and connectivity can be tested As it may be the case of denied access, depending on OSM tags associated with a particular OSM way.
Are there non walking profiles without the issue ?

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

SonnyS

Any profile that is for a motorized vehicle has the issue. It's as if it's labeled the road as off limits to motor vehicles.

•  

poutnikl

Check the table on the BRouter-web for tags of route segments. access related tags would be listed there.

Be aware public roads may be legally forbidden for motorized vehicles, implicitly, or explicitly by traffic signs, and mapped so in OSM And therefore in BRouter RD5 files as well.

SonnyS

Ok I'll check that out.
The roads in particular that I'm speaking of are roads I actually travel often. My concern is that if I cannot plan routes for roads I know are legal public roads for motor vehicles, then when planning a trip in an area I'm not familiar with I will not be able to efficiently plan a route.

•  

poutnikl

You know, the only existing reality for routing profiles is "OSM reality". Check if the road attributes are mapped correctly.

I would say check also "OSM road connectivity", but you have already said walking profiles work OK, so that is not an issue.

SonnyS

I created a partial route using Brouter- Web. Wow that's fantastic I've never used that.
One of the roads in question still won't allow the route to continue in car mode. As you can see on the map it shows it as a trail ?
However it's not. It's a rather wide, smooth gravel road that is never gated and gets vehicle traffic often.

So the issue is in the mapping ?

•  

poutnikl

Use walking or (perhaps better) bicycle profile and tap/click on the icon on the right, the third from the top. Review OSM tags there.

SonnyS

It does allow routing to continue in bicycle profile but it would also do that offline.

•  

SonnyS

Interestingly in shortest profile it allows it to continue.
Offline using shortest - motorcar it does not.

•  

SonnyS

The bad part is even though I can " force " a route to continue by changing the profile, there will be times where it is not a through road.
Opposite side is I bypass roads that are actually accessable by motor vehicle

•  

poutnikl

Then it is possible used profiles refuse to accept tracks or unpaved surfaces.

SonnyS

There is an option to avoid unpaved roads for profile settings.
We would be forever grateful if there was a " prefer unpaved roads " option

•  

poutnikl

Check also if there is "hard refusion" of that unpaved road ( routing there at no circumstances ), or if there is only very high penalty.

In the latter case,BRouter would prefer even quite crazy  detour if possible. If you disable such options by nogo points, it would accept the unpaved road as a last resort.

I remember similar case for a Canadian car driver, as many Canadian roads are unpaved and the original car profiles have very high penalties for unpaved roads.
It was fixed for his case by lowering penalty ( for car-like  profiles by increasing the max speed value ).

BTW, I have told Arndt multiple times the car profiles penalizes unpaved roads too much, what makes them unusable for regions with many unpaved roads.

I remember creating an experimental motorbike profile, preferring more winding roads by negative turning penalty.

As I see multiple motorcycle related posts in BRouter mailgroup or Locus forum, I think they would deserve a dedicated profile author among motorbikers. ;-)

SonnyS

Quote from: poutnikl on July 29, 2020, 16:41:12
Check also if there is "hard refusion" of that unpaved road ( routing there at no circumstances ), or if there is only very high penalty.

In the latter case,BRouter would prefer even quite crazy  detour if possible. If you disable such options by nogo points, it would accept the unpaved road as a last resort.

I remember similar case for a Canadian car driver, as many Canadian roads are unpaved and the original car profiles have very high penalties for unpaved roads.
It was fixed for his case by lowering penalty ( for car-like  profiles by increasing the max speed value ).

BTW, I have told Arndt multiple times the car profiles penalizes unpaved roads too much, what makes them unusable for regions with many unpaved roads.

I remember creating an experimental motorbike profile, preferring more winding roads by negative turning penalty.

As I see multiple motorcycle related posts in BRouter mailgroup or Locus forum, I think they would deserve a dedicated profile author among motorbikers. ;-)

I'm not familiar with the penalty settinings. Thank you I'll investigate.
I agree 100% about profile options. Even though so many prefer Brouter /  Locus as primary for offline Navigation they are having to resort to many other apps to create tracks. Some people then just stay with the other app rather than create tracks, convert, then load to Locus.

So what happened to your experimental motorcycle profile ? Sounds interesting

•