[ICONS] Markers, Dots, Crosses & Arrows in HD and many colors

Started by slarti76, June 22, 2020, 14:20:12

slarti76

Often, you don't need something fancy - just some generic markers. Built-in, Locus only offers down arrows, crosses, dots (open and filled) and traingles in 4 colors. And low-res.
I took some time to make tons of icons in better resolution, different sizes and many colors. Please use the attached iconpacks freely (CC BY SA 3.0):

• Arrows: Arrows in 8 directions (up, down, left, right and in-between), 4 sizes and 10 colors.
  • Dots & Crosses: Dots, Donuts (dots w/hole), crosses (X's) and some extras, in 3-4 sizes and ca. 17 colors.
  • Markers: Google-style balloon pins (with and w/o star), needles in 3 sizes, pushpins in 4 sizes, all in ca. 16 colors
  • Flags: All ISO country flags plus dependent territories and some subdivisions (like Scotland, Wales, etc.), but just as-is (no border or anything)
All packs apart from "Flags" have English and German sections and tooltips (long tap).

@Menion: Feel free to replace internal low-res icons. Also, please add to the store - free, of course. Thx!

Update: Now I did improve the flags, with continents as sections and tooltips, adding some missing ones. While they're also free to use, I would however not like to see them in the Locus store, because some descriptions may be politically, well, difficult (eg. Palestine).

slarti76

Some screenshot to give a better idea...

Update: Screenshot of Flags with sections
  •  

Menion

Hmm, nice

it's anyway not so easy to replace any icons in the app itself. It has to have exactly same names.

Not sure if you want and have time for this :), but if so, here is the attached pack of icons directly from the app. If you update any icons, it will be of course welcome ;)  Thanks.

I'll also notify Petr about possible new content to Store, thanks too!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: menion on June 23, 2020, 11:02:03
Not sure if you want and have time for this :), but if so, here is the attached pack of icons directly from the app. If you update any icons, it will be of course welcome ;)  Thanks.
Wasn't that big a deal - I've got some experience with this now ;) Actually, I think I already replaced the Nicolas Mollet-based icons before...
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: slarti76 on June 23, 2020, 12:24:25
Quote from: menion on June 23, 2020, 11:02:03
Wasn't that big a deal - I've got some experience with this now ;) Actually, I think I already replaced the Nicolas Mollet-based icons before...
Can these be readily used now, or do we need to wait for then to be incorporated in Locus?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Thanks slarti76, I've updated a few changed icons.

john_percy: you may immediately use zipped icons by putting zip files into Locus/icons directory.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: menion on June 26, 2020, 12:16:58
Thanks slarti76, I've updated a few changed icons.
Yeah, I see them in 3.46.2.3. Good, thx!
  •  

slarti76

Updated Flags, finally (sections, tooltips, more flags) - see first post.
  •  

freischneider

In the operating instructions it is noted that icons in 32x32 pixels or 64x64 pixels should be created as PNG. What is the reason for this size. Is that still current or from old times. What if I create one with 500x500 pixels?
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: freischneider on July 16, 2020, 09:36:29
In the operating instructions it is noted that icons in 32x32 pixels or 64x64 pixels should be created as PNG. What is the reason for this size. Is that still current or from old times. What if I create one with 500x500 pixels?
I'm sure it would work. Might be slow, tho...
Anyway, as far as I understand it, all icons are still scaled to a fixed size which is then enlarged by the factor from the settings.
Would be interesting to hear from Menion if that's correct? And, hopefully, the enlargement factor is applied before the scaling, otherwise resolution would be lost.
My icons here are either with longest side 64 or 92/96. All Nicolas Mollet icons (which I updated for Locus a while ago) are 32x37. Unfortunately it looks like they won't be updated to better resolutions anymore (according to the FAQ (https://mapicons.mapsmarker.com/faq) they're all bitmap).
  •  

Johnny_

May I ask you for balloons icons with letters?
like that one bellow but in many colors

http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/paddle/O.png
  •  

Henk van der Spek

There are a lot of icon collections in the locus store.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g82 5G met Tapatalk

Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Johnny_

not like that what I need. Google balloon pin with letter and different colors will be perfect for me.

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on July 31, 2022, 21:24:55
There are a lot of icon collections in the locus store.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g82 5G met Tapatalk
  •  

Henk van der Spek

I have a collection called " markers". Don't know where I found it. On the manual there is a description to make one or more by yourself.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Johnny_

I'm aware of that manual, but I cant find pins/icons itself. I just need png files and I'll will do the rest.
That's what I'm looking for:

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on July 31, 2022, 21:56:15
I have a collection called " markers". Don't know where I found it. On the manual there is a description to meake one or more by yourself.
  •