Unable to follow track

Started by GusGF, May 16, 2020, 17:52:51

GusGF

Feel like I'm slightly losing the will to live. I'm sure we've all been there, you head out on a walk and how you think navigation should work and how the designers have designed the app are diametrically opposed. You spend more time looking at the screen and getting stressed than enjoying the walk and letting go of that stress.

Problem 1:
The lockscreen comes up and insists, ignoring my finger print which BTW always works but not in this app, that I have to tap in my unlock code on this occasion. So now I have to try and find a place in the shade so I can more easily see the screen.

Problem 2:
I've planned a 16Km route following various walking paths on my phone say A to B, almost circular, left a small gap in which I'm positioned/standing. The arrows on the track are pointing A to B. I tap on the track (a blue line on my map) and a dialogue pops up and I chose navigation. On the next screen I chose the Navigation icon and I'm taken to the map telling me to head for my track endpoint  a 100 metres away as the crow flies completely ignoring the track I'd planned!!

So how does this make any sense. I've tapped on a route that's going anti-clockwise and chosen to navigate it but locus is competely ignoring the track. Even if I go into the main menu and try and navigate the track from there it ends up behaving as if the track doesn't exist.

Confused  ???

One other thing Locus help details What is the difference between a route and a track? But then when I create a route in route planner it appears under 'tracks' but Locus states a track provides a record of where you have been, and when. That's downright confusing
  •  

QuoteOne other thing Locus help details What is the difference between a route and a track? But then when I create a route in route planner it appears under 'tracks' but Locus states a track provides a record of where you have been, and when. That's downright confusing

Confusing, yes. A problem caused by difference in technical language of (rte)route or (trk)track, and the popular language expression about what "a route" means.

Technical.
A (trk) track. (General)
Describes the traject by multiple position points. The traject so is precisely indicated.

A (rte) route in two variants.
a. A compact (rte) route. (Garmin)
Just contains some reference position points along which you absolutely want to go.
b. A direct (rte) route. (ViewRanger)
In addition to the reference position points, also contains intermediate points of the traject.

A Navigation track. (Locus)
Includes Navigation waypoints that do contain the turn instructions.

A track design inclusive waypoints containing turn commands is in standard language also called a route design.

A route is something you want to follow. So this can be a recorded or generated track.
Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: GusGF

GusGF

Thank you for replying and I will await your instructions on how I can get Locus maps to navigate the track/route I've created on my phone in Locus maps.  :)
  •  

Samsung ?

Use red encircled settings in pdf,  optimal for phone on bike handlebar mount.
Dismiss and wake up display by (one) wave proximity sensor action.
Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

GusGF

Thank you but my phone is the Honor 8X and have just updated my profile to reflect this. Apologies for the confusion  :P

My biggest concern is the inability to navigate a route I've created in LM. It would be great to get help with this.
  •  

What is the source of your round trip navigation design ?
When you start navigation are you nearer to the start or the finish ?
Share example round trip and indicate the position where you start the navigation.
Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

GusGF

What is the source of your round trip navigation design ?
I drew it on the screen with Route Planner using auto mode (hiking), graphHopper was the nav source and use only shape points.
When I start navigation I am in between the start and end point and I am using point priority.

Please see attached screenshots.

In the route planning help documentation it says:
Via points can be created out of shaping points: tap a shaping point and select Change to from the popup label:
What is the benefit of doing this?
  •  

Your start position is nearer to finish than start. NOK.

1. Only start navigate when near to the start.
2. For better understanding Navigation, DO NOT use autorecalculate mode. Select: NONE

Do not rely on automatics unless you exactly know what happens by automatic modes.

Roundtrip circuits.

Route Priority (autorecalculate) navigates toward the nearest trackpoints.
Manually trigger a recalculation Locus shows the path toward target. 
When located nearer to the finish is toward the last trackpoint.

Point Priority (auto)recalculate navigates toward the nearest medium Via Point.
If medium Via Points are missing so navigates directly toward the Finish.
Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

GusGF

Okay you are right there is a lot to learn and I feel like I've learned a few key points from you when planning routes. I'll be keeping the auto-calculate off for the time being until I feel ready to experiment with point and route.

QuoteThese settings are for touristic cycling. Away from the track ?  + 36 m shows you the (warning) guiding line,  + 75 m out of track generates an audio WARNING alert,  + 100 m auto triggers autorecalculate ACTION. (if set)  ;)

So is this only available for cycling as I can't see different levels for walking?

QuoteNotice the guiding line from your position towards the nearest target trackpoint.  Now manually trigger a recalculation (Route Priority) Locus shows the navigation path toward target.  When located nearer to the finish is toward the last trackpoint.

I will experiment but I assume if I set recalculate to 'point' and convert the 'START' shape point to a Via  and I'm not yet on the planned route (e.g. the route I attached in prev post) and I turn on navigation early then will I be guided to the start?
  •  

QuoteI will experiment but I assume if I set recalculate to 'point' and convert the 'START' shape point to a Via  and I'm not yet on the planned route (e.g. the route I attached in prev post) and I turn on navigation early then will I be guided to the start?

Not exactly, unless you are indeed nearer to the start.
@ Navigation start by (any) recalculation trigger: Locus recalculates toward the nearest Via Point.
All next Via Points during a normal navigation session than are served in numeric order one by one.

Locus Pro Classic 3.70.5
  •  

GusGF

Well finally got out again yesterday and am glad to say I was able to navigate almost successfully. I say almost as something peculiar happened. On certain parts of the route (where there was a change in direction) the voice navigation attempted to send me 180 degrees in the wrong direction contrary to the on-screen navigation route. The route ahead, which I stuck to, was highlighted in blue and the part of the route which I'd covered was plain.
Any idea why voice navigation was trying to send me in the opposite direction to the on screen route ?
  •  

GusGF

Here is a screenshot of my route last week with a on screen instruction.

Locus gave me this direction as if I was travelling on a road with lanes. Is this normal? Note I'm walking along a path in the countryside.

Still puzzled how voice navigation is sometimes routing me in the opposite direction to what the map is saying.
  •