Locus Map for Garmin

Started by Jan Čapek, April 17, 2019, 10:14:43

mfink

For me, connection problems were always fixed by disabling and reanabling Bluetooth on the phone. You can also check the FAQ here: https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:add-ons:locusforgarmin#garmin_application_keeps_loosing_connectivity
  •  

mfink

Hi Jan. It would be great if Locus would support the course point icons from Garmin Connect. Currently it only supports the old waypoint icons (from Basecamp?). These do not work as course point icons, at least not on Fenix watches. It would be awesome if we could select the course point icons in Locus and and see them then also on the watch when we export the course. The fenix expects the correct course point ID in the fit file, then it will display the icon. The course point icons could be a separate category under the Garmin icons
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi sbouju, completely missed your post, sorry. Not sure what is the problem in your case honestly!  :-\ Does it happening even if you leave Locus Map for Garmin app open on your smartphone?

@mfink Yep, we have draft of changes which enables you to better pair icons on Locus with the new Fenix devices showing. But it is not that easy as various Garmin models have different icon sets.
  •  

mfink

That's great to hear. Looking forward to this!
  •  

fera

Hi Jan!

I am really sorry about the whole Garmin API-fiasco.
Got to say, on my FRN945 I am only using the app for quick course transfer from the phone, and love it!

Although I plan to upgrade to a Garmin Edge for my bike, and as I see it is not yet supported.
Is it still planned to be supported, or maybe the community can give some advice how to quickly copy courses from phone to a Garmin Edge 530?

Thanks!  ;)
  •  

mfink

This should work:
- install the gexporter app on your phone and gimporter widget on your Edge.
- export course from Locus in gpx or fit format. Tick 'Share after Export'.
- on the share Dialog, select the gexporter app.
- open the gimporter widget on the edge and import the course.

Alternatively, you can import the exported course into Garmin connect and send it to the Edge from there.
  •  

veloc

As you recommended I have downgraded Garmin connect to version 4.19. Still I can't use the Garmin's vivoactive 3 GPS (tried to connect Locus maps via "Bluetooth GPS/GPS device", but the Garmin gps device is not found.
Any hints?
Edit: Locus map classic 3.62.0; Locus Map for Garmin premium: device status connected [connection is stable]
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi, the purpose of the app was never to utilize Garmin GPS for Locus Map on the phone, although several times requested. This is not supported and can't promise I will be able to implement it in the future.

Also, recommendation to downgrade to version 4.19 is no longer valid as it is quite old version (not supporting new devices). If it is still working for you, feel free to use it, but I would not recommend it anymore. That unfortunately means loss of map streaming feature, which is shame but can't do anything about it.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: mfink

veloc

Quote from: Jan Čapek on August 15, 2022, 16:40:50That unfortunately means loss of map streaming feature....
Nearly wrote: "Does not work with version 4.19 either... "
But I was not aware that the app updated to version 4.58. Sorry!

Phone maps experimental" is active. "Phone map feature unavailable..." By the way: it's confusing, that there is a menue point in Locus for Garmin: "Garmin gps: on/off, if the Garmin GPS is not supported. If this is feature, it should be hidden and not pop up in the menue in my point of view.
I'm dissapointed to be honest: I have bought a used vivoactve 3 andbecause of the locus for Garmin marketing. And now I see in this thread, that displaying a map e.g. with a Sony smartwatch is no problem at all...
  •  

mfink

@Jan: It is now one year since I asked about better support for the Garmin Connect Icons in Locus, therefore I dare to ask another time today if there is any update on this  :) . It would be a really nice enhancement. Currently my workaround is to open the course from Locus in IQmapReceiver and adjust the icons there. It works okay, but would be nice to not going this extra detour.  :D

Also another question that I wanted to ask for a long time but always forgot so far: when I send a route from Locus to my Fenix 6x, the watch always prompts me if I would like to open the locus watch app to import the route. I can select "open once" or "always", but also if I select "always", in asks me every time again. Is there a a way to make it open the locus CIQ app automatically without prompt?
  •  

winice

@Jan I am using some other CIQ and Android app to transfer files between FR935 and Phone. I found it provides a HTTP service on phone and transfer the binary file (.fit file) to the watch by JSON format. I am wondering whether LM can convert the map to JSON then send JSON to watch. And finally the watch decode the JSON and show it as BMP?

I know this may need more powerful processor. Just a idea to display maps on watch.
  •  

Jan Čapek

sorry for late reply.  :o

@mfink Whole Garmin For Locus addon is waiting for some "restart" as the current app can't be updated at all because
Garmin again unexpectedly broke backward compatibility of some important Connect IQ SDK features which Locus Map rely on. So I can't even add support for latest devices now unfortunately.

This prompt is another example of the state of CIQ platform. It never properly worked until I finally this year on latest devices like EPIX. But If it still behaves the same for you, I don't expect it will ever change for Fenix 6 family.

@winice not possible. CIQ is very limited in such areas. 
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: mfink

blackdog

Hi all,
today before I goes to biking I bought this addon to my Fenix 7x Sapphire Pro. Then I used it. The handle was pretty simple. But... on the 4th watch screen there is the garmin map. I can zoom/pan/move. But it is possible to show the track on this garmin map, on which I just ride?
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi blackdog, sorry for such late reply, missed your post. You can have track on this map screen if you record activity within the app via watch. In case you are recording on Locus Map app in mobile phone, the track is not rendered here.
  •