KMZ files draw order, or draw order by elevation?

Started by feeblebrox, June 04, 2018, 15:33:28

feeblebrox

Is there any possibility of changing or control the order in which locus draws KMZ layers? The files have elevation information placing the layers in the correct order ontop of eachother, but Locus wont draw them this way. The files contain polygons and polylines. The polylines needs to be drawn ontop of the polygons or the lines will be hidden.

The files are exported from ArcGIS without clamping the features to the ground.

Also, is there any way to implement the possibility to change the way Locus draws KMZ files or their symbology? As it is now Locus puts a point at each start or end of a line. Any option to hide or change this would be great.
  •  

Menion

Hello,
any file for a test? Can't promise any improvements in this area, but I may at least check it.

About visible dots on the end of lines, check menu > settings > points & tracks > track start/end icons.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

feeblebrox

Thank you! The dots disappeared, didnt even consider those settings would affect KMZ files.
I attached a file for testing, and a screenshot showing the problem.
  •  

Menion

Thanks for sharing a file.

What is then correct order how to draw content?
As you see in Google Earth (also on screenshot), I expect that GE draws layers in same order, how they are placed in folder structure. The order is inverse? Weird ...

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

feeblebrox

Thanks for taking your time to look at this!

The correct draw order is what shows in GE. That is, draw order is from bottom up. However, in this case and using GE it doesn't matter because the layers is elevation enabled i ArcGIS. The layer that needs to be drawn on top have the elevation 3. The next layer have elevation 2 and the baselayer containing polygons have elevation 1. Locus draws layers based on the order in the KMZ, meaning the top layer draws first, then second, and lastly the bottom one overshadowing the other. This could easily be resolved by rearranging the layers in the program used for creating the maps and layers, but only if all layers are packaged in the same KMZ-file. This solution is less desirable however since it means breaking your workflow in the GIS program by starting to rearrange layers and making the map there inverted.

The draw order of multiple KMZ-files seem to be alphabetical however, meaning you need to rename your files to control the draw order.

With this said, and considering this for a bit i realize this is not that big of an issue. There is a solution and i can work with that. Especially considering most other things i need Locus to do, it does without any problem. Id be stuck with clumsy laptops in my fieldwork if there were no Locus! So keep up the great work!
  •