Still having issues with Locus and offline navigation

Started by Cory McAlpin, October 16, 2016, 18:27:21

Cory McAlpin

Quote from: michaelbechtold on October 16, 2016, 21:14:51
PS: there is nothing wrong with using e.g. Here for car routing. Although Locus can do the job as described.

But once you get to hiking or biking and into wilderness, apps like Google Maps, Here and alike are simply doomed.

Ok so let me ask.....What if I was to use Locus Pro for my original intent which was to upload GPX routes, navigate and record them and then export to Strava? I really don't need to use Locus to navigate offline if I have an app like Here alongside it. My question would be.....Supposing I give up on using Locus for offline navigation, Could it still do simple tasks like route me back to start (if I get lost) and record an unplanned trip that doesn't use a pre planned route? In Lamens terms could Locus still be a useful gps tracking/recording device to navigate through the gravel roads and wilderness without having brouter or any of the other stuff working (like mine currently is) or would a person like me be better (and safer) to go with an app like Osmand? If it can do everything an app like Backwoods navigator, Osmand, and some others can do right out of the box without any techy tweaking than I will just keep Locus cause I love the interface.  Thanks for all your guys help!!!!
  •  

Cory McAlpin

Can anyone tell me why when I use locus to navigate me on a pre planned route and I look at the itinerary, it doesn't know the street names? It only says unknown street. One last thing how come when I view any of the maps directly I can zoom in and they look clear but if I download those maps to my device then when I zoom in close they are very blurry.
  •  

Andrew Heard

LM4.23.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Cory McAlpin on October 17, 2016, 00:54:06
Quote from: michaelbechtold on October 16, 2016, 21:14:51
PS: there is nothing wrong with using e.g. Here for car routing. Although Locus can do the job as described.

But once you get to hiking or biking and into wilderness, apps like Google Maps, Here and alike are simply doomed.

Ok so let me ask.....What if I was to use Locus Pro for my original intent which was to upload GPX routes, navigate and record them and then export to Strava? I really don't need to use Locus to navigate offline if I have an app like Here alongside it. My question would be.....Supposing I give up on using Locus for offline navigation, Could it still do simple tasks like route me back to start (if I get lost) and record an unplanned trip that doesn't use a pre planned route? In Lamens terms could Locus still be a useful gps tracking/recording device to navigate through the gravel roads and wilderness without having brouter or any of the other stuff working (like mine currently is) or would a person like me be better (and safer) to go with an app like Osmand? If it can do everything an app like Backwoods navigator, Osmand, and some others can do right out of the box without any techy tweaking than I will just keep Locus cause I love the interface.  Thanks for all your guys help!!!!
Absolutely you can, Cory; those are Locus sweetspots. Loading tracks from Internet like Pacific or Appalachian trail and 1000s more.
Following them,  doing your own thing and record all you do, upload your runs, hikes etc, etc. All Locus homeland. On newer devices like S5 onward you can even run Here and Locus in parallel. Here can guide you offline, Locus tracks what you really do.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Cory McAlpin on October 17, 2016, 03:38:16
Can anyone tell me why when I use locus to navigate me on a pre planned route and I look at the itinerary, it doesn't know the street names? It only says unknown street. One last thing how come when I view any of the maps directly I can zoom in and they look clear but if I download those maps to my device then when I zoom in close they are very blurry.
If street names are in the OSM database or Here database or Google database, then you will see them in high zooms for sure. If they were never put into the database, it's not the fault of the displaying app.
The blurring can occur if you downloaded up to a zoomlevel, say 14 only, but ask Locus to display at level 16. It can do, but only by stretching the limited data it finds from ZL 14.
I think I saw a hint that you already collect all map tiles that you download in a database that sits in Locus/mapsonline folder on your (typically) internal SD. So these collections will grow over time. One sqlitedb file per map type.

•  

Cory McAlpin

Quote from: michaelbechtold on October 17, 2016, 06:48:17
Quote from: Cory McAlpin on October 17, 2016, 03:38:16
If street names are in the OSM database or Here database or Google database, then you will see them in high zooms for sure. If they were never put into the database, it's not the fault of the displaying app.
The blurring can occur if you downloaded up to a zoomlevel, say 14 only, but ask Locus to display at level 16. It can do, but only by stretching the limited data it finds from ZL 14.
I think I saw a hint that you already collect all map tiles that you download in a database that sits in Locus/mapsonline folder on your (typically) internal SD. So these collections will grow over time. One sqlitedb file per map type.

How do I change the zoom level? Could it have been because I downloaded the entire north america instead of just a smaller area?
  •  

michaelbechtold

Pushing the PLUS button at the bottom of the Locus screen increments the ZL by one unit. MINUS does the reverse.
When you have a given max of downloadable tiles (i.e. a quota limit) then you have this tradeoff indeed. Large area brings your download to a halt at a lower ZL. If you select a smaller area, you get to higher zoom levels until.you hut the daily limit. For the same area, the next higher ZL has about 4 times as many tiles (small map images )

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

Cory McAlpin

Quote from: michaelbechtold on October 17, 2016, 14:35:17
Pushing the PLUS button at the bottom of the Locus screen increments the ZL by one unit. MINUS does the reverse.
When you have a given max of downloadable tiles (i.e. a quota limit) then you have this tradeoff indeed. Large area brings your download to a halt at a lower ZL. If you select a smaller area, you get to higher zoom levels until.you hut the daily limit. For the same area, the next higher ZL has about 4 times as many tiles (small map images )

So basically you're saying if I download just a couple States instead of the entire us and just do that a little bit at a time I'm going to be able to zoom in close without having the blurry map? And I didn't realize there was a daily limit of downloads? Just out of curiosity why is there a daily limit and how much is it? And then if you just wait 24 hours you can start your daily limit back at zero again?
  •  

michaelbechtold

Well, here we have to differentiate: if you download LoMaps, OAM or alike, these vector maps are rendered on your device and keep being laser sharp to the uppermost end of zoom levels, 22 maybe. You see the level in the Locus top bar, if you chose 'Map'.
This download limit and tradeoff only applies to raster maps like Google and other online maps.

•  

michaelbechtold

And yes, with a new day you start at zero again. And with the right online map setting you accumulate more over time, as only missing tiles are downloaded. (I do not recall the Locus aging/update policy, which may reload after some weeks or months )

•  

Cory McAlpin

•  

michaelbechtold

•