Locus/Brouter incorrectly starts in guidance instead of navigation mode

Started by Andrew Heard, May 18, 2016, 02:50:30

Andrew Heard

Observation: Locus will (sometimes) start in guiding mode (ignores the first waypoint/ navigation command) but with the same track other times starts correctly in navigation mode (displays distance to first navigation command). It is not dependent on whether I "Add new route" in Locus or use To/From quick-point BRouter method.

With a very simple track Locus starts 100% reliably in navigation mode.

I have also found a workaround - while guiding then tapping "Recalculate" Locus then always goes into navigation mode and displays the next waypoint (navigation command if any).

I don't know whether this applies more widely than with using BRouter as a navigation source because I only use BRouter. I hadn't experienced this problem before BRouter 1.4.x, but then again I haven't used navigation for a few months.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

poutnikl

Just guessing -  Is possible you have for any reason too low value of off-route threshold,
when Locus switches to guidance instead of naviagtion ?

Andrew Heard

Note if you disable the GPS (satellite screen > tap to disable) then it is even simpler to see this problem. Depending on other Locus settings I do this: move cursor to track > tap on track > Navigate > Navigate - hear double beep - Locus warning that off-track. Observe that Locus is in guidance mode rather than navigation mode. Ensure cursor (simulated GPS position) is on the track > tap top/left Navigate question mark icon > Recalculate - now navigation is working.

The UI now feels very unresponsive while simulating navigation, which suggests Locus is using lots of CPU for no good reason. I will be able to confirm this tomorrow after I measure battery % after a longer ride. It is normally about 3% battery per hour.
  •  

poutnikl

Edit: Other reason may be Locus gets confused and under mysterious conditions interprets Hint waypoints as waypoints for Guidance. :-)

Andrew Heard

Quote from: poutnikl on May 18, 2016, 08:14:57
Just guessing -  Is possible you have for any reason too low value of off-route threshold,
when Locus switches to guidance instead of naviagtion ?
I generally use "Maximum allowed deviation"= 50m. It has never been a problem before.

Quote from: poutnikl on May 18, 2016, 08:14:57
Other reason may be Locus gets confused and under mysterious conditions interprets Hint waypoints as waypoints for Guidance.
Either new setting or something else has changed because I never had this problem before now.
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: Andrew Heard on May 18, 2016, 08:18:07I generally use "Maximum allowed deviation"= 50m. It has never been a problem before.
I like saying "Murphy's laws are laughing seeing  It should not matter"  :-)
I would try to test big value.

Edit> I usually use Warning threshold 50-80, recalculation threshold 100-150, guidance threshold 200-400

Andrew Heard

With some help from @poutnik I have more to report. I have navigation recalculation mode = Never. It appears in this mode that when navigation along existing track, and if GPS position is not precisely over track, then navigation mode never occurs, or is very unreliable:

I started navigation 10 times, and only once did it work. The other 9 times guidance mode commenced, and never switched to navigation. It also seems that the longer the track the less likely navigation will commence.

When I set recalculation mode = Route, operation automatically switches from initial guidance to navigation shortly after moving, so for now I'll use this mode.

When I read the manual http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:functions:navigation:settings&s[]=recalculation it is still not clear when mode = Never why starting navigation is so unreliable if the position (as shown in screen cap) is directly over the track.

•  

Menion

Good day guys,

@Andrew: suggest to check important difference between these states:

• navigation - you should see navigation arrow on "by default fat pink" line
  • navigation, out of track - when you move away from a track more then on "Maximum allowed deviation", Locus temporary switch to something similar to guidance, but navigation is still active, just waits till you get closer to track
  • guidance - well, old good guidance mode

What I see on your first screenshot looks like second option - navigation, but you are too far away from track. In this case, you are far away from a point on which Locus tries to navigate you. Do not know how you get into this state, but button "Nearest point" in navigation menu, do not helps here?

Also maybe a track itself may be a problem. In case you have starting point too far away from you, this problem may happen. You may try to compare start of navigation on really loong straight street VS start of navigation somewhere on curved roads in mountains, if there will be any difference.

Anyway if you give me all I need for simulating of this problem, I'll gladly check it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Čelda

BRouter seems to recognize roundabouts, wow !
So Locus seems to be usable as world-wide offline navigation too !  8)
What a pity a route once found cannot be EASILY modified by via points, can it ? You must start over :-(
http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4934.msg40606#msg40606
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: Čelda on May 18, 2016, 14:47:30
So Locus seems to be usable as world-wide offline navigation too !  8)

Until you hit turn restriction OSM relations....

Andrew Heard

Quote from: 0709 on May 18, 2016, 13:19:14
Hi Andrew,  No brouter app installed !

On common paths "nearest point" not always helps to *adjust position on track. How to tell locus exact track position progress on a common trackpath ? = not implemented !  Idea ? By Tap => Navigation Arrow => Open Itenerary list => tap new target navpoint  => opens navpoint on map: IF agree, confirm as next navpoint target ?
@0709 - are you testing with navigation recalculation=Never - that is the central issue for me! If I set recalculation=Route then Locus starts navigation OK, BUT I don't want recalculation on, I just want a notification if turn wrong way.

Regards your simulation topic suggestion - I had similar suggestion - http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/display-itinerary-and-map-side-by-side-simulation-mode but no interest. Now that BRouter can accurately calculate track waypoints I think it would be very nice to have a method to move from waypoint to waypoint to simulate riding the track.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Čelda on May 18, 2016, 14:47:30
Not sure how your comment is related to the topic?
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Andrew Heard on May 19, 2016, 01:47:37
thanks @menion

Quote from: menion on May 18, 2016, 13:48:39"Maximum allowed deviation"
I had default 50m, but I've never modified this setting, I have now set to 200m, but it has not improved the situation

Quote from: menion on May 18, 2016, 13:48:39What I see on your first screenshot looks like second option - navigation, but you are too far away from track
how can you tell that? I have position precisely over the displayed track in screenshot?

Quote from: menion on May 18, 2016, 13:48:39Do not know how you get into this state yes
easy - I started navigation mode on the GPS position shown in 1st screenshot, with recalculation=Never

Quote from: menion on May 18, 2016, 13:48:39button "Nearest point" in navigation menu, do not helps here?
yes - mode switches from from guidance to navigation mode when "Nearest point" is tapped

The central issue seems to be with seting navigation recalculation=Never. In this mode navigation is very unreliable in "locking onto" the start of the track even when I am within few metres of the track as displayed on map. It is quite easy to simulate when GPS is disabled. When the track is simple/ short navigation will start reliably, but as soon as track is more realistic Locus never switches from guidance to navigation mode. Also while in guidance mode the UI is extremely "unresponsive" - using all CPU.

Have attached 2 tracks (short.gpx, long.gpx).
  •  

Andrew Heard

I note another user has now reported on this experience http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/problem-with-version-3-17 although surprised not more.

After some more walking tests I find that even tapping "nearest point" isn't always 100% reliable. Worked 4 out of 5 times:

Clearly displayed GPS position is within 10m of track, and walking in direction of track, but still Locus doesn't go into navigation mode.

settings: max. allowed deviation:200m, auto-recalc:Never, strict following:off

Any other relevant settings or details I can report?
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: Andrew Heard on May 19, 2016, 01:48:12
Quote from: menion on May 18, 2016, 13:48:39What I see on your first screenshot looks like second option - navigation, but you are too far away from track
how can you tell that? I have position precisely over the displayed track in screenshot?

From the Question mark in top left corner ?