Recording stops when screen is off - problem

Started by UKlocusfan, January 16, 2016, 19:21:53

UKlocusfan

Sorry if I'm missing something simple,  but I walked and recorded my track today but was gutted to discover that Locus stopped logging and acquiring a GPS lock when the screen was off / sleeping / locked.
This meant turning on the screen got a new lock which drew a straight line between that and the previous lock which was obviously incredibly inaccurate to what I'd  walked.
I'm using the presets walking profile to log but just can't figure out why this is happening.

I'd appreciate anyone giving some advice please as I feel I've overlooked something.
Thanks in  advance
  •  

michaelbechtold

Have you configured Locus to run as a service?  Otherwise Android easily may remove Locus from the active tasks. Also allow Locus to prevent screen lock. Even if Locus was not in the foreground, it always continued logging GPS status for 100s of tracks for me.
In addition there are system tools outside Locus that may be configured to switch off automatically things like mobile data, WiFi and more ...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

KaHeMu

Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

UKlocusfan

Thanks for much michaelbechtold and KaHeMu

Locus is already running as a service but I don't want to set Locus to prevent screen lock as when out and about the screen lock pin is an important security issue.
When you mention system tools outside of Locus michaelbechtold I'm a little confused sorry.

Hey KaHeMu, the disable when hidden is already unticked.  I'm presuming this is the correct option as I dont want the GPS to disable at all, only when I terminate it manually myself.  So yes, I have the 'disable when hidden' unticked.

Any other ideas please although I'm gonna go out for a walk later and test it all again.

Thanks so much.
  •  

Menion

I'm worried that this issue is not on Locus side. There already exists many similar topics and none has some universal solution.

Track recording service in Locus already run as a system service, so in this case, "Locus as a service" has minimal effect.

What is important is, that if you later turn on screen, Locus is still running or you see small loading dialog (and usually recording is paused). Because if Locus is running, that it means that system disable GPS when screen is turned off. On Android 6.0+ are some "battery saving" options in battery screen so check it. If Locus is starting from scratch, then system probably terminated it so it is a problem of system or any 3rd party app that tries to free some memory.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

UKlocusfan

I have to agree thanks menion.
I am running android 5.0 on a Hauwei P8 Lite.

So far I've had no Locus crashes so its not a memory issue and the P8 Lite has 2gb RAM anyway.

Locus doesn't reload or come up with dialogs when I unlock the screen but instead simply beeps to tell me it has a GPS fix because I've got that notification sound turned on in Locus settings.

Unfortunately there are no extra or detailed setting in the android 5.0 to tell it to keep acquiring GPS fix, just the usual 3 options of battery saving, high accuracy and GPS only.  I had considered testing using just the GPS only setting in android but this makes initial fixes difficult as it ignores A-GPS.

I use Locus to navigate in the car and all is superb (as usual :)) so it seems to be something linked into when the screen is asleep.

Now....
My phone does a crazy thing I'm not keen on.  It seems to (by default) cancel and terminate apps as soon as the phone locks.  This means that (for example) reminder apps don't remind me etc etc but there is a section in the settings called 'protected apps'.  I select apps in there and that means the phone wont touch them and certainly wont kill them.  I have Locus selected as a protected app and as I said eariler, Locus is still running fine when the screen is locked... its just this GPS logging that seems to be the problem. 

There is no problem with GPS fixes because as soon as I unlock the phone it has an instant fix so please don't think its just a case that I can't get a GPS fix.

I'm really really confused by all this and its making my favourite app of all time unusable for me at the moment and I'll try anything to figure out whats going wrong.

Thanks everyone :)
  •  

Menion

Did you tried different application? Google Maps, GPS Status? (two quite common apps for testing).
  •  

UKlocusfan

Thanks Menion.
Google Maps works completely fine - but then again the screen is always on when I use it.
I've never heard of GPS Status but I'll look into it although I do use GPS Test and that seems fine too.
  •  

Menion

Locus will probably also works fine till screen is turned on. What I wanted from you, is a quick test with different application that require GPS and that may run on background. Or for example My Tracks app from Google is good testing application to test track recording also in different application. Thanks.
  •