Experimental Car profiles for Brouter offline routing

Started by poutnikl, November 04, 2015, 08:34:00

poutnikl

Here you may find my very experimental Brouter Eco / FastEco / Fast car profiles, They should be used only as a fall back if no online routing is available for whatever reasons. Note that as Graphhopper implementation approaches  mature state, it should be probably preferred for the car. Or the off-line car navigation of the OSMAnd .

GitHub Car Profiles wiki with direct llinks to profiles

Current Car Test Template profile- may be used directly as profile, but expect alfa/beta quality of develop,ment version

github wiki about my Brouter Profiles

Be prepared the routing can be locally incorrect, due missing Brouter features to address local context of turning restrictions or lane  choosing.  Brouter car routing should be taken rather as a navigation guide for larger then local scale.

final profiles have implemented avoiding motorways flag,
the template also has flags avoiding tolls/toll roads and unpaved roads

jusc

Hi poutnikl,

I just tested your profiles, but they don´t work with latest BRouter version 1.3.2 as far as I can see.
Can you test it once please ?

Thank you in advance
Regards J.
  •  

john_percy

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

jusc

I made a new installation as described here http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4064.msg39865#msg39865 (German)
Other profiles, downloaded from http://brouter.de/brouter/profiles2/ are working.
If I choose p. e. Car-test-Fast, BRouter app shows for a short moment ... "does not contain context for global (old version?)" or similar.
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

tested only "Car-test-Fast.brf", but it works without problems.

poutnikl

Hm, it is interesting.. I admit I tested them previously only in Brouter-web. I usually load my profile to my Android device only the "release versions/candidates", and these are in development yet.  I have limited real testing opportunities, as I even do not have a car, as for a single person it seems to me as wasting of resources.

They definitely do contain global context.

---context:global
---context:way   # following code refers to way-tags

Now, I have tried both  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/poutnikl/Car-Profile/master/Car-test-Fast.brf  and also newer https://raw.githubusercontent.com/poutnikl/Car-Profile/master/Car-test-Template.brf 

and both do work in my instance of Brouter 1.3.2 in direct, GPX generating mode.

Is possible your download was corrupted or eventually the profile text was not copied properly ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eco/Ecofast/Fast profiles differ each other just in 1 flag number so they should work all or none.
BTW, I recommend rather Ecofast than Eco,  Eco is too much Eco, ignoring travel time. :-)

In the current template they are chosen by variable drivestyle (1=Short, 2=Eco, 3=EcoFast, 4=Fast).
Aside of avoiding motorways, flags for avoiding tolls/toll roads  and unpaved roads are implemented.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As car route are usually longer than bicycle routes, you may notice time outs in Locus fo routes longer than 50-100 km, if navigation is configured to use Brouter. The reason is Brouter is computation intensive and Locus may not be patient enough.

There are 2 solutions>

- Generate GPX file and navigate along it.

- Generate GPX file, but then choose Server mode option, with assigning to Brouter navigation mode (Car fast/short).
It makes Brouter to use just analysed data for the same future destination+profile calculations, So if you use the same destination+profile later in Locus, it will be fast enough to fit the time out limits. The data are volatile, so one must not use other Brouter routing in between.

jusc

Hi poutnikl,

is it possible to attach the newest profiles for testing in first post?
So I can make some new tests.
Regards J.
  •  

poutnikl

I preference rather  linking to the Github repositories/Wikis for development versions, but I can do so for convenience.  The direct links are the latest versions, but template improvements were not ported yet.

I am moving niw, so test for now just the template, it is identical with future profiles.They are just renamed and using particluar value of drivestyle variable.

Sent from Sony Xperia M Dual

jusc

I don´t know why, but I have difficulties to load from github. Now I opened the link for the template.brf directly and copied the content into a new brf file and it works for me too.
Thank you for the hints.
Regards J.
  •  

poutnikl

i have updated the original post

poutnikl

If not downloading from github by direct link, then the is need to press RAW button above the file text.

Then it displays the file content and the address us the direct link, so either can be used.

Quote from: jusc on November 09, 2015, 10:01:25
I don´t know why, but I have difficulties to load from github. Now I opened the link for the template.brf directly and copied the content into a new brf file and it works for me too.
Thank you for the hints.

jusc

Thanks,

I tested a longer way ~600km with Car-Fast against Car-Eco. Car-Fast uses motorways (German Autobahn), Car-Eco mostly doesn´t use motorways.
But I´m not sure if this is realy "Eco". Maybe you can save a few kilometres, but on the other side you must drive through cities with lot of traffic signals and....
Regards J.
  •  

poutnikl

Try rather EcoFast then Eco. Eco is too focused to optimal fuel consuption at steady estimated speeds.

For now, all are very experimental, not all needed features are implemented., and some will be probably never implemented, due Brouter limitations. Remember these initial versions are simply focused rather on steady driving. Point-wise delays will be tweaked later.

But it will never be as good as online routers and they should take priority. E.g. for now, detection of crossroads is not possible directly and is very tricky. It is based on indirect detection by changing road class, traffic light presence and by geometrical turns, that can be penalized.

Eco just try to choose the route with minimal fuel consumption with estimated steady speed. but I see EcoFast as better.
EcoFast balance minimal fuel consumption and minimal time.

Start/stops effects are not implemented well yet, but coming.

All profiles are more useful for now in fully rural, or fully urban scenario. If mixed, they will have difficulties with optimal preferences.

poutnikl

The Github versions updated - see the 1st threadd post.

poutnikl

Profiles updated to version 1.0.3.  See the 1st post.
Penaltes for start/stop and slowing events were tweaked, but will  be subject of tuning for some time. Feedback is welcome.

While profiles provide different routes, even Eco now chooses motorways a lot - checked in long Germany routes.

Note that as Graphhopper implementation approaches  mature state, it should be probably preferred for the car. ( Or the off-line car navigation of the OSMAnd )