Licencing: Licence check without Play Store?

Started by vueltaconicarus, January 07, 2015, 15:52:30

vueltaconicarus

The marvellous Locus is one of my most important tools, and I purchased the Pro version already some time ago through the Google Play Store. Because of all the privacy concerns these days I am trying the run Android without Google Play Services, i.e. among others I have no Play Store installed. I guess that's why I get an error 1811 when downloading libraries at first start -> see screenshot.

The knowledgebase doesn't mention this error code:
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:problem_with_downloading_libraries_at_start

This thread indicates that licencing is done via Play Store or AndroidPit AppCenter:
http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4023.msg30537#msg30537

Is there a way to unlock the Pro version without Google licencing? With the AndroidPit AppCenter shut down it seems there are no alternatives. But what does the button "Use voucher" do?

Cheers, vueltaconicarus

•  

Menion

Hello,

currently, there is no alternative to Google Play store.

"Voucher" button you found, is feature we are currently working on and your are probably first who found this secret testing feature :). Anyway exact method how this voucher will work and mainly when it will work is not yet known. Most probably till end of March.

Sorry for a bad news. Unfortunately I do not have any alternative solution now as we expect that everyone who purchase Locus over Google Play, has also installed Google Play.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

vueltaconicarus

Hi menion!

Don't worry, I can still access all buttons of the right side panel in the free version, and even pro features work.
I realize that my target group is small, still I'm happy to hear that an alternative licencing solution is being prepared. Many thanks, and keep up the good work!
  •  

Menion

Ehm, "also a Pro features works"? You use Free version and all Pro features works? It should not :)
  •  

Christian

•  

Menion

•  

vueltaconicarus

Sorry for the late reply!

I'm running Locus Free 3.4.0.5 Beta, valid until end of 2014, which also was installed before I got rid of Google Play Services. At startup it tells me that it is expired and works as Locus free now, but apart from that nothing changed. No ads, and pro features still work.
Shouldn't be like that, I gather. No hurry fixing this, though. ;-)
  •  

Menion

ah understand. I tough it should be something like this. Then absolutely no problem ... I'm glad for every test of Beta versions so no problem is this issue is there ;).
  •  

Talbi

Quote from: vueltaconicarus on January 08, 2015, 11:10:35
I realize that my target group is small, still I'm happy to hear that an alternative licencing solution is being prepared.

Your target group is now +1 bigger!  ;)
  •  

vueltaconicarus

Any progress regarding the alternative licencing? I would really purchase Locus Pro a second time if only you let me! ;-)
  •  

Menion

Hi,

unfortunately, this is not yet ready and currently not even a "work in progress", sorry.
  •  

Bucky Kid

Quote from: vueltaconicarus on January 07, 2015, 15:52:30
Because of all the privacy concerns these days I am trying the run Android without Google Play Services

In my opinion removing Play Services from phone (or even not installing GApps) equals to Android suicide. Not only updates from Google Play but numerous other services stop to work including background synchronization of whatever. Many other apps depend on Google accout in phone etc. Believe Google, they're not worse than NSA.
  •