Unknown problem with track saving!

Started by hgmichna, August 27, 2014, 08:30:38

hgmichna

This has been reported before at least once, in 2011. I cannot save the track I just recorded and get the error message, "Unknown problem with track saving!"

Locus/data contains a number of folders, 5 files whose names begin with a period, and these two files:

• databasefavorites.sqll-journal
  • dbtracks.sqll-journal
There are no *.sqll files in Locus/data. I have deleted the two .sqll-journal files, but still get the same error.

I normally have automatic export switched on, but switching it off does not help. My impression is that Locus is unable to write to a database.

I cannot exit Locus, unless I delete the current track, which I do not want to do. I will keep trying workarounds and hope for a good idea before Android kills the still running Locus.
  •  

jusc

Regards J.
  •  

Menion

hmm reported in 2011 - three years back? Since that, structure of databases is completely different.

Anyway you do now see any *.sqll files in Locus/data/database?? Then it's a serious problem. Is Locus able to write on a card where is placed root Locus folder? Because otherwise Locus always during a start check if these databases exists and if not, they are created.

Also suggest to restart your device, it usually help on most of issues.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

hgmichna

Thanks for your quick replies!

In Locus/data/database there are two database files, tracks.db and waypoints.db, and the corresponding *.db-journal files.

I am still trying to save the track that is currently recorded (paused). I do not want to kill Locus because I fear that that would kill the current track.

Any ideas what I could try? Should I delete the databases? Everything except the current track is already exported and saved.
  •  

Menion

Currently recorded track is, before save into database, store in Locus/cache/trackRec directory.

Anyway what I suggest

- create a log by this method http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:how_to_create_debug_log - there may be any clue why this happen
- backup of whole Locus folder if possible
- terminating Locus and open again. Locus should offer "unsaved track record" so try it again
- also restart of device may helps
- if non of this work, I also suggest check your SD card on PC
- optinaly you may try restore database over Backup Manager
  •  

hgmichna

Thanks again for replying! I have killed Locus. Could not do anything else anyway. But first I made a copy of the entire Locus folder.

Quote from: menion on August 27, 2014, 15:16:21
Currently recorded track is, before save into database, store in Locus/cache/trackRec directory.

That directory was empty before and after killing Locus.

Anyway what I suggest

- create a log by this method http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:how_to_create_debug_log - there may be any clue why this happen

The "Take bug report" command was greyed out. Could not do it.

- backup of whole Locus folder if possible

Done.

- terminating Locus and open again. Locus should offer "unsaved track record" so try it again

Unfortunately it did not offer that. The track completely disappeared. All older tracks are still there though.

My life does not depend on that track, but I would feel better if I knew a way to keep a track even if there is some failure.

Have you ever considered to regularly export the track that is currently being recorded, like every couple of minutes, overwriting the previous export of the same track? Locus could do that if the automatic track export is enabled. I think the time between such automated backups should be initially short, like 2 or 4 minutes and could get longer as the track becomes longer, like 10 or 15 minutes after moving for more than an hour.

But if the track recording function always worked reliably, there would be no need for such automatic backups while recording.

- if non of this work, I also suggest check your SD card on PC

No SD card on this phone (OnePlus One), just internal memory.

- optinaly you may try restore database over Backup Manager

Good idea, but I was only worrying about that one last track, which was not yet in any backup.

I hope you can find a way to prevent this kind of failure. Unfortunately I could not find out the cause. I did not do much on the phone while recording the track. Two other apps were running (Maps/Navigation and another small one), but I think they should not interfere with Locus. The error occurred when I tried to stop the recording.

By the way, while I'm at it, let me mention another problem that I regularly had on my previous phone, a Galaxy Nexus, also running CyanogenMod 11. That phone had only 1 GB RAM, which was not enough. Apparently, while Locus was recording a track in the background, the main Locus program often got kicked out of RAM due to the regular RAM shortage, while the recording service kept running just fine and kept recording.

When I then recalled Locus via the notification or in any other way, it instantly crashed, and I often sent in the crash report. After this crash, on the second attempt, Locus always started properly and allowed me to stop the tracking and to save the track. Never had any problem the second time, except that Locus always reverted to a no-map display, and I had to reselect the desired map type.

The old phone is now retired, and due to the 3 GB RAM I now have, I hope to never see that crash again. But you may still want to look into it. It is easy to reproduce on a phone with 1 GB RAM by loading a couple of apps that want to run in the background, like Google Navigation and a few others.
  •  

szebenyib

Hmm I'm lucky to not have experienced crashes while recording (two years of use on Xperia P with 1 GB RAM ics, jb, cm10.1)

My battery just depleted today right when I got home. I could save it on next start :-)

So it works in general, but device specific issues may arise anytime.
  •  

hgmichna

Quote from: szebenyib on August 27, 2014, 17:14:30
Hmm I'm lucky to not have experienced crashes while recording (two years of use on Xperia P with 1 GB RAM ics, jb, cm10.1)

Have you ever run two or more additional apps, at least one of them as RAM-guzzling as Google Navigation, while running Locus for track recording? I suppose yes, because otherwise your message would not make any sense. One possible explanation is that CM 10 uses less RAM than CM 11.
  •  

szebenyib

I have run opera music runkeeper weatherpro etc. together. Google nav actually not. I don't know how much it consumed, just saying that I can't remember something like this.
  •  

tramp20

I am just coming home and wanted to save my track as usual.
I never had this error before but today with the newest version 3.2.2 I got it too :-(

I tried 3 times to save the track with an additional name as usual, got this error and the recording was paused.
Then I tried it without a name (after the date/time) and now the track was saved correct.
I have plenty of RAM on the internal card.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

hi guys, I jsut thanks to one angry user over email found and weird issue in track recording system. It's because of some device do not return correct path with trailing "/" in the end. So in case of Track record, Locus on some devices create a path as sdcard/Locuscache/track_rec ... which cause troubles.

Seems in current version is still a few problems (more serious that is acceptable on next month), so I'll probably publish test version today and maybe in Saturday one last 3.2.3 version.
  •  

hgmichna

Quote from: szebenyib on August 28, 2014, 11:16:18
I have run opera music runkeeper weatherpro etc. together. Google nav actually not. I don't know how much it consumed, just saying that I can't remember something like this.

The crash happens only when other apps use more than the remaining free RAM, because then Locus can get kicked out to free some RAM. The Locus track recorder service keeps running though, so you still see the track recording notification.

I guess you can see in Settings, Apps, RUNNING, whether Locus is still running or whether only the track recorder service is running, but I am not sure—never tried. I should have looked at that.

When you then start Locus, it always crashes once. Start it a second time, and it runs just fine.
  •  

hgmichna

Quote from: menion on August 28, 2014, 12:31:41... do not return correct path with trailing "/" in the end. So in case of Track record, Locus on some devices create a path as sdcard/Locuscache/track_rec ... which cause troubles.

On my phone (OnePlus One) track recording worked correctly several times, then one morning it failed.

So if the missing slash is the cause, that would mean that the slash is usually there, but is occasionally missing. This sounds a bit strange.

But there could be more than one cause.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: hgmichna on August 28, 2014, 13:13:07
So if the missing slash is the cause, that would mean that the slash is usually there, but is occasionally missing. This sounds a bit strange.

No, this means that I incorrectly check small change in handling Locus root directory. When on my device it works correctly, but this means nothing on Android.
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on August 28, 2014, 12:31:41
So in case of Track record, Locus on some devices create a path as sdcard/Locuscache/track_rec ... which cause troubles.

I found this directory now too with the actual date of storing my track.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •