SMS with GPS data as a security measure

Started by marlar, March 28, 2011, 11:18:38

marlar

The ideas keep popping up!

I just got a good idea (IMO!)

If you are hiking in a deserted area with little chance to meet other people, it could be a life saver if Locus could at regular intervals send out SMS messages with your current position to someone else. Then in case you get into trouble and are not able to call for help for some reason, your friend will always know where you have been recently. Then it would be easier for a rescue party to find you, knowing in which area to look.

ideally, this feature should have options for using either SMS or data logging using a simple HTTP GET request. It would be up to the user to implement the server side script to catch the coordinates (but that is easy).

In countries abroad, SMS would probably be the best alternative since mobile data is insanely expensive.

Such a feature could in fact save someone's life one day.
  •  

Menion

looks that you expect the worst on your trip :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

marlar

No I expect a very nice and beautiful walk! And I don't at all expect you do implement it before my trip :)

It just happens that people sometimes get injured etc. in remote areas. After all, why bring a GPS at all if it wasn't to make the trip easier and safer. A few years ago, everyone could do with just a map and a compass :-)
  •  

paalkr

Quote from: "marlar"The ideas keep popping up!

I just got a good idea (IMO!)

If you are hiking in a deserted area with little chance to meet other people, it could be a life saver if Locus could at regular intervals send out SMS messages with your current position to someone else. Then in case you get into trouble and are not able to call for help for some reason, your friend will always know where you have been recently. Then it would be easier for a rescue party to find you, knowing in which area to look.

ideally, this feature should have options for using either SMS or data logging using a simple HTTP GET request. It would be up to the user to implement the server side script to catch the coordinates (but that is easy).

In countries abroad, SMS would probably be the best alternative since mobile data is insanely expensive.

Such a feature could in fact save someone's life one day.

Hi!

I second this idea! Could be useful in other scenarios than hiking as well, like when navigating on the sea. What about including a optional movement filter, so messages will be sent only when movement is above or below a given threshold? If you get seriously injured during hiking, you most likely do not move. This could maybe preserve battery.

Regards,
PK
  •  

marlar

Good idea with the movement filter. If you are able to move, you will probably be able to call someone too. Unless, of course, you are drifting around in a boat - or is kidnapped :)
  •  

berkley

Guys, seriously...

In case you get injured or kidnapped or anything else worse, you'd better think of other things to do than launch an app on your smartphone.

Though it would be a nice feature :D
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

marlar

The remark about getting kidnapped was actually a joke! :-)

That said, I really don't think it is far out with such a feature. I myself have never had any problems whatsoever when hiking so it is not out of bad experience I suggest it. But if you have done any serious hiking you will know the standard precautions: tell someone where you intend to go, bring a compass, map, whistle and a torch, enough food and water etc. Especially if you walk alone. Having a security means in a GPS App is just a logical expansion.

Preparing for problems is not the same as expecting them. You probably wear a seat belt in you car even though you don't expect an accident.

Furthermore, this feature has also another side: it is a social thing to let your friends follow your walkabouts. That is not interesting to me though, but it is for others: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=411
  •  

jofre

I don't think you'll have GSM service in desert anyway... but it would be great feature anyway :)
  •  

ville_sml

Actually a friend/device tracking feature would more than welcome.

+Support for both sms based and web/gprs based tracking.

Here are some links:

gps trackers:
http://www.mastergeo.com/how_it_works

sms tracking protocol:
ftp://support.twigworld.com/Public/Data ... public.pdf

and even further, aprs support.

florisq

On my former Windows Mobile phone I used an app Tracky which had 3 nice options:
1. send your location every x seconds to a central server where you could later find your tracks or let others follow you realtime (see www.trachthisout.com/trackme2.html), its comparable to google latitude but with track recording.
2. See where 'buddies' are (other Tracky users with an account)
3. Send buddies messages
I liked option 1 a lot, never used 2 and 3. If the request are not created in Locus, everyone that has flat fee internet can use latitude to let others know where you are, or if the sms option doesnt come to Locus, use Instamapper gps tracker to send your location to a central server like latitude, and have the app respond to special text messages with a text message with your location.
  •  

berkley

I really don't want to push users away from using Locus, but if you want these features right now, have a look at Glympse: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

agree with berkley. Anyway I can create some workaround for any developer, that would like to create something like this as addon. I can just create broadcast message with location that should be handled by some addon (running as service) and which can send dynamically location lo locus if something new happen. Sounds easy :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rageena

How can we send sms through internet to mobile phones with some tag on it ? As we receive sms's through internet with the name of sender, even when the sender is not in our contact list. Example i received msgs from consultancies with their names even when they are not in my contact. i am not talking about sites for sending free sms's.

berkley

Quote from: "rageena"How can we send sms through internet to mobile phones with some tag on it ? As we receive sms's through internet with the name of sender, even when the sender is not in our contact list. Example i received msgs from consultancies with their names even when they are not in my contact. i am not talking about sites for sending free sms's.

Hmm, sorry Dude, i guess you found the wrong forum...  :ugeek:
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

shushuk

Hi Menion,

I wanted wanted to put this issue on the wishlist and found this thread.
Though your priority on this is not very high I would like to push the topic as I think that woul be a very nice and helpful feature:

It would be great to send the actual position (f.e.via sms) to another person.
 If this person also uses locus it would be very nice to show this position on his map.
 If this person does not use locus - is it possible to show the position on google maps?

I use locus frequently on my mountainbike trips and love this application. Now some friends also installed it and this feature is needed more and more....

cheers
shushuk
  •