[MANUAL] - creating maps on desktop computer (9.12.2010)

Started by Menion, October 04, 2010, 12:26:26

BobG

I am a newbie to this and only know some basics of GIS, smart phones and GPS. So thanks in advance for your patience with my ignorance. Trying to use my smart phone as a GPS offroad. I'll start by trying to explain what I want to do and hopefully someone can tell me if it possible and what I need to do to execute it.

I want to download topographical maps to my PC. Move the maps as needed to my phone. Use the phone for the trip to include making way points. Transfer the waypoints back to my PC for veiwing, storing and retrieval at a later date.

Based on what I am reading I think I need to download Locus to my smart phone. Download maps to my computer. Move the maps to the micro SDHC card. Access the maps on the SDHC card on my smart phone through Locus. Use the phone as a GPS and at the completion of the trip move the SDHC card back to my PC for uploading the files?

I have many more questions but thought I would start with the basics.

Thanks!
Bob
  •  

balloni55

Hi BobG,
wellcome to the board :)
about handling offlinemaps with locus we need some more info from you,
what mapserver do you want to use?
and from what country you want maps? (Germany, France,Spain)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

BobG

Balloni55,

Thanks. Not sure which mapserver is best. It comes down to four factors; topographical, ease of use, great selection, and scale. I will be using this predominantly in the US and will be hiking so need smaller scale preferably something along 1:24,000. I've seen lots of posts on different mapservers but didn't want to commit till I found the right application to meet my needs. I know there a lot to choose from that will work and that is part of the problem, Based on my needs what would be your recommendation?

Thanks for the assistance!

Bob
  •  

balloni55

Hi Bob
start MOBAC, select "RMapsSQLite" and the mapsource "ArcGisTopoMap" and create your Map with dif. zoomlevels.
Note for the first example: take a small area !
After creating the Map, copy these folder to your device under Locus/Maps and you will find it under "offlinemaps"
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.0 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Bob Denny

HINT: If your newly created map has strange problems, select it in Offline Maps, use the Tools icon, and select Reinitialize Map. You will be asked to designate the provider of the map. I have used this to correct seamless joining of separate but adjacent sqlite maps.
  •  

mimichris

Hello,
I created my maps with Mobac and I save them in RMAP, because I also have a Twonav GPS and I use their CompeGPSLand mapping software that uses this type of map.
The RMAP format is recognized by Locus without any problem.
  •  

DonMacN

Hi folks,
This seems to be a long-running thread so I'll try posting here first. It's exactly the topic I have as I try and learn how Locus Maps work.

I intend to import routes onto an android tablet, for in-car use. SO I have gone for the Premium Android app, on the basis that it allowed the use of the PC planner.

I assumed (maybe a bad idea) that I could import, edit, and then save routes on the PC, and then transfer or sync. them to my device. I'm of an age where I much prefer to use a 19" screen, and a mouse, rather than fat, old thumbs on a small phone screen.

I tried to import a route - all good, it appeared on the map. Then I tried to save it, and a drop down appeared asking for a "folder" - but it wasn't active and I couldn't select a folder, therefore I couldn't save the route or my changes.

Am I just trying to do the wrong thing, and that the planner really doesn't have much of a function at all, and that I'll need to find another desktop programme to do the offline route editing work?

Thanks
  •  

Neoaliphant

Quote from: DonMacN on September 30, 2022, 13:35:27Am I just trying to do the wrong thing, and that the planner really doesn't have much of a function at all, and that I'll need to find another desktop programme to do the offline route editing work?

Thanks

Perhaps try bluestacks android emulator, install full locus, then you can work on route fully, and then sync to tablet....
  •