[MANUAL] - creating maps on desktop computer (9.12.2010)

Started by Menion, October 04, 2010, 12:26:26

David

Quote from: "David"Hi All,

I am trying to calibrate a topo map in the alps (Madonna di campiglio hiking map, first image in the webpage below)
http://www.campigliodolomiti.it/lang/EN ... io,47.html

using Google earth to calibrate the map and generate a kml file and MAPC2MAPC to save a calibrated map directly in Mobile Atlas format, it even has atlas Locus / RMAPS sqlite.db.

The procedure is very simple, described here:
http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/GEcalibrate.pdf

The point is that... it does not work perfectly. The sqlitedb file is generated, I copied it underl Locus / maps and it is opened correctly almost in the right location, but it is not precise and some tiles seems to be missing.

Did somebody try to calibrate a map in this way? If it would work, it would be much easier than the above methods... Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance,
David

Edit: I also wrote to the author of MAPC2MAPC, I will keep you informed...

The author of MAPC2MAPC answered and updated its software yesterday. Give it a try to create custom maps...
  •  

Gregorx

Quote from: "menion"I suggest to run Mobac with custom "run.bat" file, containg:
    java -jar Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar -Xmx 1024M
 this allow mobac to use enough memory to download really big maps ;)

Hi,
I'm not sure to well understand the steps before.
i've tried to create a file "run.bat" with the code following, but got always the same response : " MOBAC can't create file more than 455 Mib" (something like that ! ^^ 'scuse me, I'm french...you don't know how it's hard to be !! :mrgreen: ).
Doesn't work (should guess I mean ! ^^)

So, can someone give me more explainations please ?  :?

EDIT :

I've finally foune a "start.sh" which contains a string like the one concerned.
But my modifications doesn't work : what should I do ? Erase all and just copy / paste the code in the post below ?
  •  

Gregorx

Sorry for coming back...
i've tried many things :
- create a "run.bat" files containing the specifications you give;
- change values in ths "start.ch";
- opening .jar files in order to find some "run.bat";
- entirely modify the start.ch (copy/paste from the given code);
- I'm quiet sure forgetting something... ^^

Can't anyone advise me, please ? :)
That's really boring : the only encountered difficulty is the MOBAC limitation on created files size (>485Mo) :'(
  •  

davr

If it's saying the map is too big...don't make the map so big then? Break it into sections, or remove some zoom levels or something.
  •  

c3po

Is there any limit to a map size, other than the sqlitedb file size on disk ? Like the number of tiles (close to 500,000) ?

I have created a road map (not sattelite) with MOBAC from one of the big providers, of a large area with about 495,000 tiles (MOBAC limit is 500k). It has zoom levels 8-16 and only about 550 MB.
However, when I place it in the "Maps" dir, Locus will not load it and it does not appear in the "maps" list below the other maps that I created with MOBAC and which can be loaded fine, even though they are larger (1.7 GB, but fewer tiles). Locus tries to read it ("initialize") for a while but in the end it is not recognized.
Note that a map of the exact same type, only smaller (about 300,000 tiles - 330 MB) was loaded fine by Locus.

So, is there another limit for Locus or Android ? Any ideas ?

Thanks for your suggestions.
  •  

Menion

don't even tell me, you (after all troubles I had due to this) download so huge maps  :cry:  !! This is exactly reason why I had to do this ... http://locus.asamm.cz/?p=400. There is no good reason why to download high zooms for large areas so think a little about it before you'll next time download such an enormous number of tiles.

as I know, limit is only to 2GB size of file, not on number of tiles, but as you can see, some limit on number of limes in database is also possible

and Gregorx, do you have enabled in mobac settings "Map size" to highest number?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gregorx

Thanks menion,

That's OK now.
Yes, Settings Map Size was OK;
I've supprimed the ".sh" and created the "run.bat"...but didn't work at all.
I've finally found this //http://www.ordinoscope.net/index.php/Informatique/Softwares/Mobac_%28Mobile_Atlas_Creator%29, then pasted in run.bat (modifying the 512 / 1024 ^^).

If that can be helpfull to anyone... ^^

I can now enjoy Locus !!!!! :mrgreen:
Thx a lot for this amazing tool  ;)
  •  

c3po

Actually there are some good reasons, the best one being that if you're on the road going 100 - 150 km/h and you only DL small maps, you're going to run out of map pretty soon. And then you don't want to stop (or maybe you don't have where on the motorway) every hour to change maps (unless the map "joining" feature has become operational ? in whch case this would be no problem). Anyway, since I'm going to DL the same ammount of tiles, in one map or 10 smaller, and since it's another app doing all the traffic, I don't see how that would reflect bad on your (very good) work.
I'll try to find that limit empirically, now that I have all these tiles in the tilestore and all :)
Edit: And I found it, approximately. It's closer to the lower limit than the higher from those mentioned above.
  •  

cahillcahill

Hi trying to create big maps,
 Then i will suggest to run Mobac with custom "run.bat" file, containg:
java -jar Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar -Xmx 1024M. Thanks!
And also i can suggest for writing tips and custom essay writing services good and fair essay writing services.
  •  

Gregorx

Mine (made with MOBAC) are over 2 Gb... ;)
  •  

Rdk68

I'm a newbie on Locus.
For my weekend trip next week I tried to make maps of Rome, using MOBAC. The proces of making the maps was succesfull, however I'm not able to zoom in or out on my mobile divice. I have to select a new map each time like Rome 13, Rome 15 etc.
Is this the normal procedure or is it possible to zoom op the map?

Greetings
Robert
  •  

Menion

hello Robert, you created map as TAR files right, so you have few tar files ...

if so, create in your Locus/maps directory, one subdirectory ('Rome' for example) and put all tar files there
  •  

Rdk68

Indeed, I was creating the map as TAR files. Thanks for your answer. It works fine.
  •  

gynta

Hey Menion

Subject MOBAC

In your posting viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4#p4 u wrote:
QuoteImportant is output format. Set it to BigPlanet/RMaps SQLite.
What's the difference?
What's the better choice?

Menion

I don't know what is now offer of formats in Mobac anyway BigPlanet and RMaps SQLite are probably same. When I was creating support for SQLite format, I took some old map created for RMaps, so this have to work for sure. Cresting SQLite maps for other programs should work also but ... you know, every program use own format and this should be little bit different
  •