Locus maps on ext. SDCard on ANdroid 4.4.2?

Started by tramp20, March 21, 2014, 15:42:18

tramp20

Hi,
I upgraded my Sony Xperia Z1 compact from 4.3 to 4.4.2.
Now Locus complains that the ext. SDCard is read only and I have to move the complete Locus dir to the internal SDCard.
But there I have no place for my maps.
Is there a solution?
Why can Locus v2.19.1.5 no longer write to the ext. SDCard?
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

balloni55

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

tramp20

Thank You, but I followed this tip but there is not enough place.

Gesendet von meinem D5503

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

I have to forward manual to this page - http://www.locusmap.eu/locus-run-since-update-device-android-4-4-2-kitkat/ , we wrote a post about it to make it more clear. Anyway you may put your offline maps on card and set Locus to use this external dir. In current Locus version is small issue with SQLite maps, which need also write access, but this will be fixed in next version.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on March 21, 2014, 17:58:51
I have to forward manual to this page - http://www.locusmap.eu/locus-run-since-update-device-android-4-4-2-kitkat/ , we wrote a post about it to make it more clear. Anyway you may put your offline maps on card and set Locus to use this external dir. In current Locus version is small issue with SQLite maps, which need also write access, but this will be fixed in next version.

Thank you for your update URL.
I tried to get Locus running without these tips and my biggest problem was the existence of two Locus directories. Two file managers were not able to rename/delete on the ext. SDCard so Locus could not start. Only after I found a third file manager which could doing this Locus was up and running again.
Locus was asking which directory it should use but this selection did not work at the next start. So Locus did not start at all.
This should be improved.
I am awaiting your fix for offline sqlite maps.

Edit:
If someone is interested on this file manager:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobisystems.fileman

I could delete several files and directories on the ext. SDCard with it.

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

Quote from: tramp20 on March 21, 2014, 19:03:52
Only after I found a third file manager which could doing this Locus was up and running again.

I don't understand how it's possible that any File manager may delete files on card!! There is currently no know workaround for this problem .. interesting

Quote from: tramp20 on March 21, 2014, 19:03:52
Locus was asking which directory it should use but this selection did not work at the next start. So Locus did not start at all.

May you write me more? Because this is serious problem and it should work correctly. Unfortunately I do not have device where to test it :/
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on March 22, 2014, 07:22:58
May you write me more? Because this is serious problem and it should work correctly. Unfortunately I do not have device where to test it :/
If I have the old Locus directory on the ext. SDCard I get this screenshot:

So I can not start Locus :-(

I have repeated this yesterday several times until I read that the old dir has to be deleted/renamed.

If I rename the old dir on the ext. SDCard (of course after copying the content to the internal) then Locus starts and asks if the directory on the SDCard0 is ok.

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

I understand this, but for me is mainly interesting part where you wrote, that test version (you use latest test version right?) offer you two available Locus directories and even if you selected the one in internal memory, it still not work ...

"Locus was asking which directory it should use but this selection did not work at the next start. So Locus did not start at all."

Because this have to work! Two directories are bad, but it may happen. Anyway this option allows to choose just one and use it. When I test it on SGS2, it works correctly, but unfortunately I'm unable to remove write access to card because after every restart, settings is set back to read-write :/

Tramp, I have to ask, if you find later few minutes and do small test, because I really need to make it work. I want to publish within few hours last test version so I'll then ask you for a small test, possible?

(and pictures - above place where you write response, is button "Add image to post")
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on March 22, 2014, 09:55:09

Tramp, I have to ask, if you find later few minutes and do small test, because I really need to make it work. I want to publish within few hours last test version so I'll then ask you for a small test, possible?

Yes, of course.

Edit: The last screenshot was with two Locus directories!

User ID acc406201
  •  

jusc

Quote from: tramp20 on March 22, 2014, 08:12:16

Btw-. How can I upload pictures so that they are direct visible?

I dont´t know why, but on other PCs I don´t have this option, too.  :(
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: jusc on March 22, 2014, 11:52:46
Quote from: tramp20 on March 22, 2014, 08:12:16Btw-. How can I upload pictures so that they are direct visible?
I dont´t know why, but on other PCs I don´t have this option, too.:(
java deactivated?

berkley

Don't have a device with 4.4.2, but I found something interesting to this topic on XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2684188
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

Quote from: berkley on March 22, 2014, 17:46:23
Don't have a device with 4.4.2, but I found something interesting to this topic on XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2684188

yes I saw this also, but this app do exactly same task as what we wrote at our blog - just in a lot simplier way (one tap) :).

@tramp: if you will have time, give a chance this new version http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3698.msg26879#msg26879 . Read first paragraph, there is more. Point is, that I just need to cover all possibilities that may happen during start, so you (users) may always know, what is happen on your filesystem and with locus directory(ies)
  •  

tramp20

Good morning :-)
Thanks for your hard work.

I tested all possibilities with empty and working Locus dirs on both cards without any problems for me :-)
Locus was always starting correct.

To the new feature "fixed problems with using SQLite maps places on read-only SD card".
This is working now but there are problems with selecting additional own maps:

If I choose add own maps then I can select SDcard1 and choose there a sqlite map and add it.
But I can not add another one, I have no possibility to select the map dir on SDCard1 again. At least this is not evidently to me :-)

Edit: There should be checkboxes too to select the maps.

And you should make  the "remove of a selected card" clearer that the card will not be deleted!
Also you should not display the journal file to be selectable: We cannot see the complete file name in portrait mode.

I have time today till 17:00 because the weather is terrible.

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

Hello Tramp

thank you for your testing with directories. Glad to hear that result is possitive. Perfect.

About external maps - all is controled from small dialog in maps > menu > "Add maps". Here you should add and remove you external maps. "Delete" button in context menu of single map always delete map also from card (if possible).

Anyway you are not the first who complain about this "Add maps" dialog, so I'll try to think about it to one of next versions!
  •