google places search always returns 'No search results'

Started by imesg, February 15, 2014, 15:26:19

imesg

A search in 'Menu > Search > Google Places' always returns 'No search results'. Maybe it is some setting. It seems this stopped working after the version before the latest one (2.19.0). This has worked quite well.

What information can I provide?

Thanks for the marvelous program.

Gene

•  

KaHeMu

Here it's working if I'm looking for places in visible part of the map. Places outside aren't found. But usually I m looking for addresses, this works in all areas.

Regards,
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Menion

I'll check it.

I'm sure I tested it and it worked, but maybe ...

thanks for notification!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Quote from: imesg on February 15, 2014, 15:26:19A search in 'Menu > Search > Google Places' always returns 'No search results'.
Hi Gene
Can you give us an example?

used map
coords
zoom level
word to search

(btw. for me it works here with last pro)

imesg

Quote from: gynta on February 15, 2014, 21:22:32
Quote from: imesg on February 15, 2014, 15:26:19A search in 'Menu > Search > Google Places' always returns 'No search results'.
Hi Gene
Can you give us an example?
Sorry gynta. I have not checked here for a while. I just upgraded from the play store to 2.19.1 and I still get the same result.

map: Yahoo Classic
coords:  N33 28 48.809
              W88 25 12.433
zoom level: 12 (however doesn't matter which)
word to search: restaurant columbus ms (complete phrase no punctuation)

This has worked perfectly until the previous update.

edit
By the way gynta I have been able to search anything no matter which map or which location. Search and map location need not have been the same. For example: Map location Columbus Mississippi, USA - I search for Hotel Palais Porcia in Klagenfurt Austria. Search  returns the hotel then I can chose to show on a map. No problem. Has worked wonderfully until recently. I hope this clarifies my problem a little better.

Thanks,

Gene
  •  

gynta

i think the restaurant columbus doesnt exist in the google db ;)

imesg

Quote from: gynta on February 25, 2014, 18:19:57
i think the restaurant columbus doesnt exist in the google db ;)

This is a search I use all the time in any city in the world which I have been in to find a place to eat. This type of search has worked very well for me until the previous update. I am not fabricating this story.

As an example retrieve this document maps.google.com and enter this search "restaurant columbus ms usa". The result is something I got in the past with 'Google Places' in Locus. I get the same answer every time no matter what I search for: 'No search results'.

Thanks,

Gene
  •  

gynta

imesg

Quote from: gynta on February 25, 2014, 18:45:49
example

I see your example. This works. But this behaviour is different from before. As I have been trying to convey, the search 'restaruant columbus ms' would actually return a list of restaurants in Columbus Mississippi USA (my home). And at the bottom of the result box there was a 'search' button to repeat the search thus returning even more results. Also it was not required that the map be centered over any particular place. A search for 'restaurant new york' would return a list of restaurants in New York City, New York USA. A press of the search button at the bottom of the result box would return an even longer list of restaurants in New York.

The behaviour now is that one must perform a search centered on the present map coordinates. This is much less useful. Let us say I want to go to New York City tomorrow. Before I could type  'restaurant new york ny' and get a list of restaurants in New York regardless where the map was centered. If I wanted more results the 'search button' at the bottom of the results box would return an even longer list. This was repeatable for even longer lists.

In your example, gynta, a search for 'Restaurant' returns about 13 results but only 7 are in Columbus Mississippi. There are many more restaurants in Columbus. And it seems there is no way to find a more nearly complete list of restaurants in Columbus due to this reduced search functionality.

In short, I was mistaken, the search function works but in a much more simplified way at the expense of a much more useful list of search results.

I request a return to previous functionality. For me the present functionality is not very useful whereas before this function was extremely useful. This function is one of the many things that made Locus such a great program in my opinion but not by any means the only function.

Thanks,

Gene
  •  

imesg

Gentlemen, not even the courtesy of a reply?

Just in case someone is listening the previous behavior of the google places search was much more useful. Now it is almost useless. I mean no disrespect at all. This is a great program. I, however, use the  search function quite a bit and would like it to retain the previous functionality.

Thanks as always,

Gene
  •  

Menion

don't worry. I listen and I'm aware of these issues. Currently I just spend almost all time on fixing some problems in new testing version, but I'll try to check it in new few days. If not, please do not hesitate and remind me this.

Problem here is, that I had to throw away all previous implementetion of Google Places searching, because old API from Google was removed and new works in completely different way. So I'm just building this feature from begin.
  •  

imesg

Thanks, menion. Sorry to be so pesky. This is my favorite app of all of them and also the most useful.
  •  

Menion

oki, I spend on it yesterday whole day instead of few hours I wanted, so I hope now it will works fine. Let me know leter after tests
  •