Garmin Glo Data Compatability?

Started by IanP, December 31, 2013, 00:03:33

IanP

I am hoping someone can help me with what seems like a data incompatibility with the Garmin Glo connected via bluetooth to Locus Pro V2.17.4. I just recently purchased Locus Pro for my Sony Xperia SP (Android V4.1.2) phone so am a new user and this is my first post.

The program works great when using the internal phone gps so no problem there. The Garmin Glo connects without a problem to the Locus app but the satellite view shows no satellites. It seems the connection is ok but the nema data is not being read by locus when connected via bluetooth to the Garmin Glo.

I have tested the Garmin Glo with the Bluetooth GPS app and it works fine with satellites and data displaying nicely. The app I used can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en

Have I missed a setup step in Settings or is there any known issues with the Glo and Locus? Any help would be much appreciated as I would like to use the external Glo gps unit if possible. 

Ian
  •  

Menion

Hello Ian,
  as I remember, there were some problems with Garmin GLO, but I'm now not 100% sure, it was solved or not.

Anyway, there are two ways of using BT GPS in Locus

1. directly in Locus
2. you wrote you use Bluetooth GPS application - if you connect to your GLO device with this app, and then in Locus you connect to internal! GPS, then Locus should use location from this application, so from your Garmin GLO device

If you in Locus in  Bluetooth manager connect to you external BT GPS, what you see? Also what you see on GPS/Satellite screen? And are you able to make some screenshots, or even some error logs? I do not know how much skilled are you ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

IanP

Quote from: menion on December 31, 2013, 13:57:17
  If you in Locus in  Bluetooth manager connect to you external BT GPS, what you see? Also what you see on GPS/Satellite screen? And are you able to make some screenshots, or even some error logs? I do not know how much skilled are you ;)
Menion, thanks for your response, much appreciated!
If I use BT GPS and settings to "Allow Mock Locations" the BT GPS app works fine and gives location and satellites. If I then set Locus to connect to BT it shows "connected" on the display but will not give location or satellites just like its not connected.
I have taken screenshots and have direct links provided below. What else can I do to help you with the info you require from me? I am not sure how to take logs with Locus but if they are required please let me know what you want.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1426/n2kb.png (Locus)
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8074/yiha.png (Locus)
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7641/y8kp.png (Bluetooth GPS)
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9059/6ygd.png (Bluetooth GPS)

Ian
  •  

Menion

Hello Ian,
  understand, thanks for description. Unfortunately I have no idea why just on GLO it do not work. One way, is as I wrote before - connect in Bluetooth GPS application and then in Locus just connect to INTERNAL gps, not bluetooth. Then it should work (locus will use BT GPS over Bluetooth GPS app).

Anyway if you want to fix this in Locus, I created testing version for you. If you want to solve this, please:

1. install this version - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8015949/Locus%20%28dev%29/test_versions/2.17.4.10.apk (it's Locus Free)
2. start it and in menu > settings > misc > enable "Record debug logs"
3. try to connect to you GPS, after connecting, leave locus for a few seconds and then terminate it
4. in Locus/logs should be log file, so send me it please
  •  

IanP

Loaded the version of Locus Free from the link provided. It installed ok on my phone but am unable to record a log file as the folder is empty. I tried a few times but could not get a log file recorded.

I have both versions (Free and Pro) installed but I only have one set of locus folders on the SD card for the app and only one log folder. Is this what is expected after loading the free app?

Your suggestion "One way, is as I wrote before - connect in Bluetooth GPS application and then in Locus just connect to INTERNAL gps, not bluetooth. Then it should work (locus will use BT GPS over Bluetooth GPS app)."
worked ok! It updated data on the satellite screen but would not display satellites with "No Satellites" showing in the centre of the blue circle.

I would really like it to work by simply selecting bluetooth in locus menu and not running BT GPS to get it to work. Happy to help in any way I can so Locus Pro will work with GLO.

Ian
  •  

Menion

did you performed step 2 in installed Free version?
  •  

IanP

Quote from: menion on January 03, 2014, 09:14:48
did you performed step 2 in installed Free version?

Yes I ticked the box for it to record debug log!

Ian
  •  

Menion

hmm weird ...

- just for your info, Pro and Free versions share same directory, so it's ok
- fact that using Bluetooth GPS application do not display satellites is also OK, it's how it works. You should anyway see correct location on map

About logs - you're first who tries this new feature (previously it was more complicated). I have to test it more. Anyway complete description for taking a logs is here http://support.locusmap.eu/hc/en-us/articles/200014832 . Maybe it will be helpful for you.
  •  

IanP

Quote from: menion on January 04, 2014, 13:43:54
hmm weird ...

- just for your info, Pro and Free versions share same directory, so it's ok
- fact that using Bluetooth GPS application do not display satellites is also OK, it's how it works. You should anyway see correct location on map

About logs - you're first who tries this new feature (previously it was more complicated). I have to test it more. Anyway complete description for taking a logs is here http://support.locusmap.eu/hc/en-us/articles/200014832 . Maybe it will be helpful for you.

Ok, that was fun!

Downloaded Android Monitor and recorded a log.txt. Initially all I recorded was an empty log file till I discovered the log only recorded highlighted text. Also requires USB debugging allowed under Android developer options on the phone. Both points would probably be worth adding to the description for taking logs webpage.

The Android Monitor program does not have a stop button to allow stopping of the collection of logging data only a clear text button. I used the phone's allow USB debugging box to stop data so I could highlight the text to save to the log file. I am a beginner to this stuff so there are probably better ways to do what is required.

Please let me know an email address to use to send the log file to you and thanks again for your help in getting the Garmin Glo to work well with Locus!

Ian
  •  

Menion

Good you see it as fun :) I'm anyway still suprised that logging directly in Locus do not works for you.

Please send this log on locus@asamm.com, thanks
  •  

IanP

•  

Menion

Hello Ian,
  thank you for your logs, it helps a little.

I'm not little bit confused. Seems that Locus connects to your Garmin Glo device, also receive data, but function that should handle NMEA data, receive instead of text, some weird bytes. It's interesting because when I was searching for some more information about Garmin GLO, I found mainly two topics on Locus support site :) where both ends that "it works" (like this czech post https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topics/garmin_glo )

It's there any settings in this BT GPS to change, don't know, mode how it communicate with parent device? It's quite complicated to fix this without device in my hands, anyway
1. fortunately exists working solution over Bluetooth GPS app right?
2. if you really want to make it work in Locus, I should create another version that will write for me raw data from this Garmin device to some file, so I should analyze them on my PC
  •  

IanP

Quote from: menion on January 06, 2014, 08:02:59
  It's there any settings in this BT GPS to change, don't know, mode how it communicate with parent device? It's quite complicated to fix this without device in my hands, anyway
1. fortunately exists working solution over Bluetooth GPS app right?
2. if you really want to make it work in Locus, I should create another version that will write for me raw data from this Garmin device to some file, so I should analyze them on my PC

BT GPS connects to the Garmin Glo directly without any need for settings to be changed!

Yes I can use BT GPS and run as "allowing mock location" under phone's Android developer options/settings and Locus then can get a location fix from the GLO device. BT GPS seems to do the translation that Locus requires to process the nema data.

I would really like the Garmin GLO device to work directly with Locus to save battery and the need to run two apps to get a location fix is not a good work around. I would be happy to install another debug version to get you the data you require if you can do it!

Would it be possible to contact Garmin or the developer of BT GPS (googooandroid+app@gmail.com) and exchange info? The email address for the developer I found at the bottom of the page here  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en

I could not translate the language to english on the link you provided so I dont know what others used as a fix. The Garmin GLO is a very popular device so I am sure many would benefit from making it compatible with Locus.

Thanks again for all your help!

Ian
  •  

IanP

Hi Menion, any update on fixing the compatibility problem?

Ian
  •  

Menion

I was breaking head on this today and I'm unable to find any possible solution. I tried change only one thing - so if you will have time, check please this version http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3613.msg25904#msg25904

If it won't work, then I'm sorry, but without Garming Glo in my hands, I'm unable to solve it

Btw. in Czech topic I mentioned before, user wrote "It works fine for me". Weird ...

EDIT: !! ah I forget, if you connect to BT GPS, locus starts to write all raw read data to Locus/gps.raw file. So if there will be a problem, try to send me this file. Thanks
  •