GEMF: Does not load map quickly.

Started by mapCoder, September 11, 2013, 23:16:16

mapCoder

Hi,

I've spent a few days and made some offline gemf maps. The problem I'm facing is that in locus, I must scroll very very slowly inorder for the map to load.

I've tried single and multiple zoom levels. files from 2MB to 700MB. the problem is always there. Initially, the map will not show, if I zoom in and out, it starts loading the tiles and if I pan too quickly, it will skip tiles. I will have to move the white area off screen and then pan it back onscreen again very very slowly.

the gemf files are generated with 1 range per zoom level with a lot of empty tiles. however, locus is showing empty areas within regions where tiles exist. Its not the gemf file as it eventually does load the tiles, if i pan around slowly.

A white map icon with a red thunderbolt shows up on the left, when its not able to load tiles. haven't been able to figure out what it means. tapping on it goes to quick map switch.

sometimes, it loads only 1 title. I have to zoom into the tile till its covering the screen and then zoom out. after that, locus starts loading the rest of the tiles.

The images format is jpg.

has anyone else experienced this ?

Does locus support just loading images from z/x/y.jpg folders ?
  •  

Bucky Kid

I think you are describing the known bug of Locus 2.15.x: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3374.msg23559#msg23559. The fix is already working on.
Does the slowness problem have only with GEMF format? I don't encounter any slower loading of GEMF maps relative to SQLite.
  •  

stebu

I have no speed complaints, but the map is placed wrong! My current location is about 17 km to the North of my actual location.

Also, the icon for the map is SQL, it used to be GMF or GEMF.

My maps don't have (a lot) of empty tiles.

The lightning bolt icon is there because Locus thinks that the current map does not provide the tiles that it needs. Therefore it prompts the user to select another map file.

•  

Menion

@mapCoder: you write that map tiles are loaded too slow. Locus for all personal maps, use two methods for loading tiles (since latest version)

1. if you have DISABLED map shading, map tiles are loaded immediately, so you should no see any "loading" empty tiles
2. if you ENABLE map shading, locus switch loading to some "lazy loading". Shading takes some time, so you should see this "loading" tiles. That's maybe your case

About missing tiles ... problem that mentioned Bucky Kid, is related only to situation right after zoom. If you're still in one zoom level, there should be no problem. Weird ...

@stebu: why you don't tell me about it immediately? :) I'm testing some GEMF map and no problem. Do you have disabled "map shift"? Also if you select this map from list of maps, you still see incorrect icon in title?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

stebu

Quote from: menion on September 12, 2013, 13:43:44
@stebu: why you don't tell me about it immediately? :) I'm testing some GEMF map and no problem. Do you have disabled "map shift"? Also if you select this map from list of maps, you still see incorrect icon in title?
Well, I haven't used those maps for a long time. I just checked and they have been converted into sqlitedb format. there is also a "mapname.sqlitedb-journal" file for each of the former GEMF maps.So Locus must have converted them at some stage ???
I'll check if I can find the original GEMF maps.
  •  

Menion

wait converted?? nono, nothing like this is possible with Locus :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

mapCoder

Quote from: menion on September 12, 2013, 13:43:44
@mapCoder: you write that map tiles are loaded too slow. Locus for all personal maps, use two methods for loading tiles (since latest version)

1. if you have DISABLED map shading, map tiles are loaded immediately, so you should no see any "loading" empty tiles
2. if you ENABLE map shading, locus switch loading to some "lazy loading". Shading takes some time, so you should see this "loading" tiles. That's maybe your case

About missing tiles ... problem that mentioned Bucky Kid, is related only to situation right after zoom. If you're still in one zoom level, there should be no problem. Weird ...

shading/resolution are disabled. I do see the text "loading" which then dissappears.

Also, I noticed that it happens on intermediate zoom levels for which zoom levels do not exist.
  •