Offline POI database

Started by Menion, July 22, 2013, 22:02:41

john_percy

I don't think anyone has said yet, but where a vector map shows an icon for an area (like car parking) the overlay icon from this database does not align with it.

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

thanks John, it's possible. I'm still not exactly sure how to handle icons that are drawn in vector maps directly and the one, that are added to map from database, but I'll try to find some way ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Quary Qwe

I've tried to use POI db for austria, but it doesn't work for me.

I open POI window and select Austria from drop down list but then
tapping on any POI category gives me "No data in list!" message.
Is it currently broken or do I do something wrong?

PS:
poi db named: austria.poi.db
3.1.3.10 BETA
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion
BETA version 3.1.3.10 RC1

Probably latest version before release (planned on 18/19. 8.), so last chance for your feedback ;).

Please keep in mind two things:
1. some online maps will be available at Locus Store (are removed from list of maps), but they are not yet in Store
2. If anyone use Offline POI Db, existing databases won't work, because I had to change a structure of database a little bit. New data are generating.

Menion

New databases for 3.1.3.10+ versions are just uploading.

If there will be any problems, feel free to write me.

I'll be also glad, for some feedback about usability. I was though about it quite a lot, and to be true, I don't know, what more to do with this feature. Seems to be usable, fully working and really for publish, isn't it? I know, except speed for a huge databases (like whole Germany, etc.)
  •  

john_percy

Since you ask, I have a couple of suggestions for "what more to do with this feature":
1. Allow customisable icon sets to match vector maps or data points
2. Integrate with Data > Points

•  

Menion

1) icons for points are not needed I think. When you display vector map and you also have required offline Db POI file in same folder, you should see points on map (defined by current selected vector theme!!) as active! So points that were previously only "drawn" on map are now clickable and has same icon as is defined in theme!

Only in case, you search in list of points and you then want to display these points on map, then are used internal icons. Mainly to distinguish these "found" points from points that are directly in vector map. And you want these "found" points to have some defined icons, right?

2. Integrations - I was thinking about it, but
a) I have no idea, how it should looks like. Only solution should be as another tab I think ...
b) loading of database structure take some time. And everytime you go to "Data manager" even just to enable one point, whole base structure will be loading. Because of this, I think it should be better (faster, more efficient) to keep these screens separate.

But this is question and I'm open for discussion.

Hope also that some of you find useful direct link on object on openstreetmap server (added on suggestion of one user). I found it useful, because now it's easy to improve incorrect data directly in device (thanks to nice UI on osm.org)

•  

john_percy

Quote from: menion on August 19, 2014, 12:33:49
1) icons for points are not needed I think. When you display vector map and you also have required offline Db POI file in same folder, you should see points on map (defined by current selected vector theme!!) as active! So points that were previously only "drawn" on map are now clickable and has same icon as is defined in theme!
This is good.

Only in case, you search in list of points and you then want to display these points on map, then are used internal icons. Mainly to distinguish these "found" points from points that are directly in vector map. And you want these "found" points to have some defined icons, right?
Searching is a big plus, but personally I think it would improve the UI to be able to match the style of these icons to the ones already being used.

2. Integrations - I was thinking about it, but
a) I have no idea, how it should looks like. Only solution should be as another tab I think ...
b) loading of database structure take some time. And everytime you go to "Data manager" even just to enable one point, whole base structure will be loading. Because of this, I think it should be better (faster, more efficient) to keep these screens separate.
Would it all have to load even if you implement it as a separate tab? Again, speaking personally, I found the different routes into the screens confusing and counterintuititive.
  •  

jusc

I wonder how I can download new poi databases with my phone. Nor Google nor standard browser downloads the databases. :'(
Regards J.
  •  

druki

Worked with Chrome after three attempts (not the best mobile network here in holiday).
Aditionally you need an app that can handle zip files (I use ES fileexplorer). Maybe browser doesn't like downloading unknown fileformats (extenstion zip)?!
  •  

Christian

Do i need still a testing version of Locus or does it work with latest public version?
  •  

Menion

@jusc: sorry, don't know. If simple shared file with Google Drive. I can't do it simplier now.

@Christian: feature is available as a button only in a Free Beta version, but I think, that if you place into right panel this feature in Beta version, it will be then working also in a Pro version ;)
  •  

Christian

Yes I know this trick.  But I would like to use a final released version. :)
  •  

Menion

•  

druki

Suggestion about search feature:
1. Works great even with leading wildcard %. Performance of searching "Schleswig-holstein" (DE) is good (even when selecting ALL and searching two letters)! -> Include leading wildcard by default.
2. Sometimes I want to see/search tourism attractions which could be sorted in religious places or natural attractions (just example). So it would be helpful to select more categories for display or search (but not use all categories like firestations, financial services, shopping). Any idea i.e. selecting categories/subcategories with checkboxes?
  •