Converting a map to sqlite db format

Started by 93ToyTruck, June 25, 2013, 22:37:14

93ToyTruck

I have a map that I created for Garmin GPS receivers that I want to put into a smartphone app on both iOS/iPhone and Android. My best option is to write a converter to change the map to a format that can be used by an app on both platforms. I didn't find a good app with a version for both platforms. Locus is at the top of my list for Android and has lots of data format options that aren't proprietary. I'm thinking that it would be best to convert to sqlitedb format. Galileo Offline Maps for iPhone also uses it so I would only need to convert once.  Any recommendations on a data format or other app?

Is there an app to edit or manage the map once converted to sqlite?

Where can I find a specification for an sqlite map database?

Thanks for you help.
  •  

gynta

93ToyTruck

IMG format is a raster/bmp map. I have vector data. My plan would be to read the file and insert into a sqlite db using the .net driver. It seems like it would be a rather simple database. My other option is to convert to OSM then to sqlite using an existing converter.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "93ToyTruck"IMG format is a raster/bmp map.
cute :roll: but not in this case. ;)

Quote from: "93ToyTruck"I have a map that I created for Garmin
garmin use also *.img (gmapsupp.img)
What is YOUR garmin format?

93ToyTruck

Ah. I see.

My goal is keep the map in vector format. The coverage area is 13,000 sq miles and it has a lot of detail that I don't want to lose or display on the map at all times. I would like it to progressively display the data and labels according to the EndLevel value and TYP style that I've defined. I also want to retain the search functionality and other features that you get from a vector map that you don't get with a raster map. Isn't sqlite vector?
  •