GPS Setting - Turn on during start

Started by mike_b, February 07, 2013, 22:20:38

mike_b

Hi, I would like for the GPS to remain on when I exit Locus. I have tried all of the settings in "Turn on during start" but I can't seem to keep the GPS enabled when I exit Locus. What is the proper setting to always keep the GPS running?

Also, I don't understand what is being disabled when exiting Locus and the "Disabled" box is displayed. I thought Locus is disabling my device's GPS, but when I swipe down to see the Android notifications screen, the GPS button is still green.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "mike_b"Hi, I would like for the GPS to remain on when I exit Locus. I have tried all of the settings in "Turn on during start" but I can't seem to keep the GPS enabled when I exit Locus. What is the proper setting to always keep the GPS running?

Also, I don't understand what is being disabled when exiting Locus and the "Disabled" box is displayed. I thought Locus is disabling my device's GPS, but when I swipe down to see the Android notifications screen, the GPS button is still green.
Hi Mike,
Locus supports some background processes like navigation, parking and the like and if one or more of these processes are active Locus shall still use GPS and therefore does not display "Disabled". In other cases this will be displayed if GPS in Locus is enabled but not anymore needed by Locus.
The Android GPS button only means that use of GPS is possible for applications.Locus never changes Android GPS settings, therefore the GPS button is still green after leaving Locus.

You could run Locus as a service and keep GPS in Locus enabled. I think this should keep GPS running.
  •  

Menion

nice description, only one addition - "locus as a service" do not help to keep GPS enabled when app is minimized. For this helps http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... e_location - uncheck Disable when hidden
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

mike_b

Thank you for the information. I have checked "Locus as a service" and unchecked "Disable when hidden". However, I still see the "Disabled" box when exiting Locus. When I start Locus, the "Enabled" box is displayed and "Locus as a service" is displayed in the notification area at the top of the screen.

If Locus is running as a service, should I see the Locus process running in "Task Manager" > "Active applications"?
  •  

Menion

You're still talking about "exit". I still though you just mean you hide application by home button. But you're really exiting it with back button (and "Yes" on question "Do you want to Exit Locus?") right? If so, then why your would like to keep GPS enabled what application is not running? If you try to explain what you try to achive, it should be easier to help

Feature that tommi suggested, "Locus as a service" is mainly useful on low-end devices. It's only purpose is to keep Locus alive if you often do some operations outside of Locus, like phone, write sms, check web browser etc. In these cases, you Android system may force close Locus without ability to save previous state. And this should prevent this.
  •  

mike_b

What prompted my question is this... I would use Locus at home and it would show my home location. I would exit Locus and then drive to work. I would arrive at work and launch Locus, but it still showed my home location. I cannot receive GPS signals inside the building where i work. I was attempting to keep Locus active while driving to work. So the answer to my question is to not exit Locus, but use the Home button when leaving Locus and let it continue to run in the background. I have only been using Locus a few days, so I'm still in the learning phase.

I would also like to say that Locus is working well for me. I successfully imported KMZ maps of snowshoe trails and cross country ski trails in my area. I was unable to do this with other Android mapping applications. I purchased Locus specifically for importing KMZ files. Now I'm learning about the other capabilities.

Thank you!
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"Feature that tommi suggested, "Locus as a service" is mainly useful on low-end devices. It's only purpose is to keep Locus alive if you often do some operations outside of Locus, like phone, write sms, check web browser etc. In these cases, you Android system may force close Locus without ability to save previous state. And this should prevent this.
Tzh, tzh, you're treating my SGS3 as low-end device :o
I know that you implemented the service to avoid force close due to low memory.
Seriously, I'm using this feature only to have an instant Locus experience, without loading dialog.
  •  

Menion

SGS3 is lowest from all ;)

mike:
1. start Locus, check settings if you have
 - Global > Locus as a service - checked!
 - GPS > Disable when hidden - unchecked!

2. start GPS in Locus and you should see "Enabled"

3. press home button to minimize Locus. GPS should keep running and no "disabled" will be displayed.

unchecked "Disable when hidden" - keep GPS enabled
checked "Locus as a service" - keep Locus alive while run in background

hope this helps
  •