New vector maps for Locus - feedback

Started by voldapet, December 08, 2012, 16:32:32

voldapet

Locus comes in version 2.8.0 with new vector maps with prepared themes for Hiking, Cycling, Driving and for city. Maps are available via Locus store. Switching styles is also simplified in new version – long press on name of the map in Map manager causes changing of map style (see attached image).
Maps are in some kind of beta version and for this reason we'll appreciate any comments, issues, suggestions or ideas how to improve styles and maps.

already known issues:
- blue ocean is missing (for some regions)  
- somewhere are coastlines thick red lines
- ghost contourlines

Thank you
VOLDY
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Not yet a comment but a question. Will these maps also be available for downloading (and paying) on the PC? I find that more convenient. Like before on http://vectormaps4locus.eu/
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

voldapet

Hi,
We are planning to change whole system of distribution of vector maps and probably add possibility to download maps to the PC but at this moment this is only idea... So I can't promise it but we also think about it.
  •  

kem

Quote from: "Henk van der Spek"Not yet a comment but a question. Will these maps also be available for downloading (and paying) on the PC? I find that more convenient. Like before on http://vectormaps4locus.eu/

I support this request as well.
  •  

zsero

Sorry guys, I have to be honest on this one. I love Locus, but the monetizing of OpenStreetMaps vector maps is the most stupid idea that has ever come up.

http://www.openandromaps.org/ is an amazing website with a serious open philosophy behind it. There is no need to make an alternative for it, and even less need to monetize it. Maps are something which should be regularly updated. Not something where you should pay by megabytes or titles. People who know it the best are map enthusiasts, what happens to be also the most fanatic audience for Locus. The newest maps on openandromaps have an amazing theme, regularly updated, have perfect contour lines by now and has fixed the ocean areas (I guess this has also been fixed in the Locus ones)

I tried the new Locus themes and they aren't even comparable to andromaps ones. Paying for the maps even less so. Asking for money because of bandwidth is laughable when openandromaps can just do it for free with Google Drive.

Honestly, I'm going to recommend/ask buying Locus Pro for all my friends/family members, and it's an amazing application, but this monetizing of vector maps is a greedy and stupid idea and should be abandoned in my opinion. More close cooperation with openandromaps and possibly a downloader plugin/module would be a much nicer direction for the future.
  •  

Menion

Honest is always appreciated!

When I started distribute vector maps, it was more then years ago, first attempt was thanks to Dropbox. Second day after first release, I received notification, that my Dropbox account was stopped because of abnormal usage. During next few months, I tried few web services and everywhere was some problems with ads, limited speed etc.

Now seems that Google Drive allow unlimited bandwidth. This may be solution on one side. On second side, even if you have to buy some credit, per month is downloaded around 1TB of data, so it's more then 30GB per day. And thanks to Amazon hosting service, all is perfectly fast and without any worries, that there will be problems.

OpenAndroMaps is nice work from kech and I appreciate it, because it helps to increase popularity for OSM project and it's very very good. Anyway you have to count that Locus system for distributing vector maps isn't alternative!! As I wrote, I started with it more then year before. Since June, Peter (voldapet) works on improved system for generating as his main work ... so point is, we're not creating alternative, we're creating main source for vector map in Locus

I can write here few pages about this topic, but I don't want, because this topic is about "how maps looks and works" and not about "why they exists". Anyway, it's good that exists alternative for people, that don't want to use Locus system like you and it's absolutely OK for me ;). Price for maps in Locus is so low, that I think it should not be problem for anyone who want comfort and easy way to obtain maps. Dot
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

zsero

Thanks for explanation!
  •  

washeck

Menion, thanks for the good work on Locus. I would like to support you by buying the Pro version but without giving my credit card details to Google. Any tips how to pay anonymously on Google Play from the Czech Republic are welcome.

On the other hand, I don't feel comfortable paying for the vector maps. I am an active OSM contributor and I update the map data in my phone very often. The OSM license (http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/) requires you to provide provide your modified maps under the same license so I think, there should be way to download it for free.
  •  

Menion

Hello Washeck,
  anonymous paying on Google Play is not possible I think. Alternative way is to purchase Locus on AndroidPIT server, but here you'll have to also install additional program AppCenter to install and update Locus

about license. Maps we generate are of course licensed under same license. So if anyone want to distribute them, modify etc etc, it's all of course possible by the terms of use of this license. On other hand, there is nothing bad to receive payment for work you did between raw xml data > map file and also for cost we pay for Amazon server (that store and distribute these files).

I'm absolutely open to alternative ways, so for example if you use OpenAndroMaps from kech, it's gladly supported. It's just on you, if you want to use this or that. That's also reason why I'm not forcing anyone to use Vector maps available over Locus. If you want use simple way of downloading maps directly, then you just pay a small payment for this. If you have friends, you may share these files with them etc. You know license well so I don't have to say you this.

And finally, you may create maps for Locus by your own, by methods described on MapsForge site
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

sherman

Hello,

possibly an obvious fact for someone, but not for me - quite a recent Locus user: What are the differences in maps from OpenAndroMaps.org and those downloadable directly form Locus? Does they include different data or render in a different way?

Thanks for an answer!
  •  

voldapet

Hi,
Is little bit complicated to generally describe the differences. It depends on area you want to download, purpose of map (cycling, hiking),  updates...
From my point of view:
    Automatic downloading from Locus store and also update notification
    Probably the most significant difference is in internal themes that are available in Locus. Locus maps contains some specific elements, (eq color of hiking path) that are prepared especially for internal themes
    Also data in maps are little bit different
Anyway Locus maps and also OpenandroMaps are still in developing process, so it's difficult to say which is better or which one contains more data. Every new release (of  maps) comes with new elements or with new theme which made maps better. ( I mean boths Locus and also Openandromaps)
You can also contact the author (kech61) of Openandromaps for more info.

Actually, you reminded me that we wanted to create some test maps as a preview or for comparing...thanks :)
  •  

gynta

Hi Petr
This icon design is strange  :)

voldapet

Hi,
..oups. Fixed :)
  •  

gynta

Hi Petr ;)
Locus cycling theme

Highways are really so important? :roll:
More important than cycling?

I don't care about Motorways/Highways
With an cycling(!) theme i expect to see bike paths!

voldapet

At this situation I'm little bit limited by OSM data. Tags for highway A27 say that this highway is in higher layer then bridge with cycleway. There is an issue that in our themes is highway thick and cover cycle way. In normal situation should be placed cycleway over highway.

So there is maybe question into discussion: how create hiking/cyclo styles. When I created them I wanted to offer general tourist map with hiking or cycling way and of course with highways (from my point of view highway is important element in countryside). On the other hand there is openandromaps solution which put great emphasis on cycleways and other map elements are not so significant.

Anyway  I can make highway more narrower ... :-)
  •