Clear User Interface [Wishlist]

Started by Puffolino, July 05, 2012, 08:09:18

Puffolino

Hi, I'm new here - I was not able to post this in the wishlist section, sorry...

I am using Locus for only two days now, so my observations have to be called "limited" ;) My greatest problem for now is to find the right way to the existing function of the program -- even all needed functionality is available, it is sometimes difficult to get it, here are some examples:

• different menu styles - I like the full screen options, so the map screen is nearly perfect (the main options is also full screen, but do not show an arrow to indicate the active menu), but there are also (at least four) other types of dialogs: the 6 icon options in a window (when clicking on the locus icon), the function list and the nearly empty database screen with just 4 icons and the GPS/compass window). Maybe some of the menus could will get the same look and feel like all others (I would merge the main menu and the database menu together into one single full screen menu for instance).

Just one example for the different behaviour: the map selection screen looks really good for me, all informations can seen (or nearly all, e.g. an additional symbol or color shading could indicate, if cached tiles exist), the maps are seen in a structured way, great. When using the show/hide map filter from the main settings, a long unstructured list of maps are seen on the screen, which makes it complicate to select all maps easily (I would enhance the map selection screen to do this in a more comfortable way)

• icons - identical icons do different things (map), colorful and black&white icons in different styles can be seen. All visible map icons take a lot of space (function bars on top / bottom / right side) especially on tablets a lot of icons would have space on the top (I would like an permanent "settings" icon there).
Fine: all function bars can be configured to be hidden after some seconds, which is fine - maybe they should be displayed also automatically, after a menu has been opened, for me it would also be nice if a single tap on a screen corner would bring up all icons again.

• tapping - I was wondering, why a double tap doesn't zoom into the map, which is used in google maps.

I know, it is not that difficult to find a hair in a (brilliant) soup, anyhow I want to give some hints, which hurdles are seen for a new user (the first impressions may decide, if a product will be bought :roll: ). Anyway, I have licensed the app already because of it's brilliant possibilities (and I am quite sure, I haven't found all of them for now) and I think, it was a good decision to do so 8-)
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "Puffolino"I am using Locus for only two days now...
Hi Puffolino
If you use Locus two weeks, some things are more clearly
i'm not say RTFM but here in the forum are many hints to read.
More are here: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php
If u have some ideas, questions or troubles, you can write also here:
https://getsatisfaction.com/locus

druki

About the tapping and function bars: Have you seen the setting for choosing between Locus/Google behaviour?
Menu->Map Control->Control of Map display
(I use german language, so naming of menurs may be different)
  •  

Puffolino

Thanks for your replies and your hints, which are helpful (Google type zooming is not so fine, Locus jumps around when taping with two or three fingers) ;)

The reason for writing my "first impressions" is simple - some people won't be patient and do not spend enough time to recognize the inner values of the app. I (hopefully) did, so I bought it  8-)
  •  

Menion

cannot say much about icons and gestures ...

but here is another story https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... s_and_data . I'll be glad for some comments before I start to do something with it ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

veerji

I have a set of ESRI SHP files which contain shapes or polygons (some areas, like forest for example). They have names on top of them. The final objective is to put these shapes on top of a Topographical map, in any sort of Android program wich GPS support (and map support).

Menion

feel free to create new topic. next time. Anyway locus is not able to load directly shape files. Anyway I suggest to convert them to KML files, which Locus handle quite well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bob Denny

I am going to post about my experiences and my Locus-based project in a separate thread, but before I do I want to compliment you on the user interface. No it is not easy, but yes it is powerful, flexible, and everywhere I turn it just seems to have exactly what I am looking for. This is almost impossible to achieve but you have done so! Bravo! I know you listen to users and you also know how to filter features from needs (and how you might provide the need!).

For those of you who find Locus complex and non-intuitive, just remember, when word processors came out people were still hitting "enter" at the end of every line, then wondering why the text would not flow when margins were adjusted! Please try to refrain from "suggesting" how to make the user interface "better" until you devote some time to learning how to play this wonderful instrument. Consider how many new piano players had suggestions on how to make it better  :lol:
  •