Is there any topo map for France available to use is in Locu

Started by xxAxelxx, May 17, 2012, 15:20:52

jusc

Quote from: "ukuest"1. How are you all handling the 2 GB limit?
2. Is it possible to cut the map of France in different areas and Locus puts them together?
3. Can the maps created by TopoMap be renamed? Or use different folders?

1. Update your phone to Android 4.0 or later.  :mrgreen:  But Attention at the moment for Galaxy Note. I read something about problems by Samsung with ICS
2. Yes, no, normally Locus finds the "neighbour" map. But I have to test it.
3. Yes, move your created "Mainland" map p. e. to "France_Nord" directory and rename Mainland.otrk2.xml to France_Nord.otrk2.xml.
Do the same inside your (new) France_Nord.otrk2.xml.
Regards J.
  •  

mimichris

I think we should also rename "Mainland" in the *. Xml with Wordpad or Notepad. For if we do not rename, I think he will not find the map.
  •  

jusc

ok, what´s I meant in the last sentence of my last post.
Regards J.
  •  

skids

Quote from: "mimichris"I think we should also rename "Mainland" in the *. Xml with Wordpad or Notepad. For if we do not rename, I think he will not find the map.

That's right - I just used the 'replace' function in wordpad to change all instances of 'Mainland' to whatever, which did the job.

Is there an obvious speed advantage to having small sqlite maps?  My phone is pretty slow, so I don't want to overtax it.  

I'm working through downloading the different 'regions' of France (e.g. Nord-pas-de-Calais, Picardie etc) which gives me seperate files of around 0.5GB (missing out the last zoom level - zoom lock does a good enough for me of filling in that extra zoom level), but this is not very space efficient as the shape of some regions means there is a lot of wasted overlap between maps.  Might have a think about how I can split it into larger more rectangular areas (but still less than 2GB as I''m still on android 2.2).

Want to get this sorted quickly, just incase geoportail spot a sudden increase in traffic and do something to stop it  ;)
  •  

Menion

guys just small question - when you steal maps from their server, why you at least don't share these files? Everyone from you download same data from same place and I know very well that it's not nothing pleasant for server owner!

This site is not best place for some direct sharing of link etc, because I'll simply delete them, anyway you'll find some way if you'll want.

I just don't agree with such overloading of server specially in case, that I'm sure then more them 90% of downloaded tiles will never be displayed!

And finally, when server owner discover from where wind blow, it will not be only your problem, but probably also problem of Locus itself ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

@menion
I understand what you mean and I support it (you).
But look, at the beginning, the Idea was surely not to steal something and convert tiles with a third party tool to another map app database, which database can be used since a few days with Locus.  ;)  I would  like to use IGN as online maps in Locus as other online maps too. So everybody could get (perhaps cache) his preferred region in a few seconds and it would not be neccessary to make massive downloads.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

I know I know :) I also not angry or something like this, don't worry. I just think that would be nice to share already downloaded maps ...

and have them in Locus will be nice, that's for sure. I have to contact them, but there is very tinny chance I think. I don't really know why these companies have problems with this. Nice example is OutdoorActive. I'm communicating with them more then YEAR! and we're not able to make some progress. Last communication was before an month. I wrote them "hey, there is chance to sell your map tiles over Locus Shop" ... but response was only in style "minimum payment is 6k €, your system is not good or us (in very short)". So they rather keep apps to steal their maps, then do something so simple, that I offer. And very similar it will be with IGN. Only way I see is some massive email campain from users with request to put their maps to Locus :D
  •  

jusc

Sharing sounds well, but how can we do it?
Here is another example of an app using IGN maps: http://www.androidblip.com/android-apps ... 60233.html
(with a price model for map downloads).
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

hmm app that allow this officially ... perfect. I'll write them today that this app sell their map and we want too :)

and how to share ... there is a huge number of possibilities, isn't it? Just try to keep forum +/- legal ... as we say "what eyes don't see, heart don't hurt"
  •  

skids

Quote from: "jusc"@menion
I understand what you mean and I support it (you).
But look, at the beginning, the Idea was surely not to steal something and convert tiles with a third party tool to another map app database, which database can be used since a few days with Locus.  ;)  I would  like to use IGN as online maps in Locus as other online maps too. So everybody could get (perhaps cache) his preferred region in a few seconds and it would not be neccessary to make massive downloads.

On the other hand - if they were to agree on download of tiles, that should in the term run decrease the load on their server.  Once I have downloaded the regions I need, that is it, and I will most likely never need to do it again.

It's a shame the French government do not make IGN map data open license like the UK government has with Ordnance Survey data (I think?)

I agree with sharing of maps.  Would the best way be cloud storage?  At the moment I've only got basic 2GB on dropbox.
  •  

skids

Quote from: "menion"hmm app that allow this officially ... perfect. I'll write them today that this app sell their map and we want too :)

and how to share ... there is a huge number of possibilities, isn't it? Just try to keep forum +/- legal ... as we say "what eyes don't see, heart don't hurt"

and here's another (iphone app, though)

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/outdoors ... 64585?mt=8
  •  

ukuest

Thanks, jusc!
Your procedure works fine, I tested and I can have different area maps to stay under a certain file size limit.
But Locus does not find the neighbour maps automatically. This is what I did:

1. rename the "Mainland" folder generated through TopoMap to the name of its area
2. rename the Mainland.otrk2.xml in the folder to that same area name
3. replace all occurrences of "Mainland" in the XML file to that same area name
4. copy all area folders to:  Locus/maps/, resulting in such a structure (just as an example):
Locus/
--maps/
----Vaucluse/
--------Vaucluse.otrk2.xml
--------OruxMapsImages.db
----BouchesduRhone/
--------BouchesduRhone.otrk2.xml
----Var/
--------Var.otrk2.xml

The maps are there, I can open them, they work, but I need to open each one manually, Locus does not automatically move to the neighbour at the borders.
Not a big deal for me, it is still wonderful to have the maps.
But maybe it is just a small mistake I made? Or a misunderstanding about how the neighbour map detection works?

(P.S. Thanks for the tip about Android 4.0, did not know it raises the file size limit. But I am not quite ready yet to update, everything works so well at the moment!)

Quote from: "jusc"
Quote from: "ukuest"1. How are you all handling the 2 GB limit?
2. Is it possible to cut the map of France in different areas and Locus puts them together?
3. Can the maps created by TopoMap be renamed? Or use different folders?

1. Update your phone to Android 4.0 or later.  :mrgreen:  But Attention at the moment for Galaxy Note. I read something about problems by Samsung with ICS
2. Yes, no, normally Locus finds the "neighbour" map. But I have to test it.
3. Yes, move your created "Mainland" map p. e. to "France_Nord" directory and rename Mainland.otrk2.xml to France_Nord.otrk2.xml.
Do the same inside your (new) France_Nord.otrk2.xml.
  •  

skids

I think this is more of a general problem with the current version of Locus, which will hopefully be solved with next version.

https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... _correctly

Mind you, because my maps have all been generated from different places, I've never had much success with map auto load, except for putting more than one Rmaps Sqlite map in the same folder, which works perfectly.

Do you have Locus set up so that 'Quick Map Change' pops up when you move outside the map area?  That makes switching maps nice and quick, though not automatic.
  •  

mimichris

Simpler without rename all files, replace "Mainland" by the name of your map in "storage location",(a file the same name is created automatically)  giving the same name in "map area name", and the file will map the right name.
  •  

mimichris

•