[MAPS] - Vector maps (with terrain contour lines)

Started by jurajs, April 22, 2012, 16:04:18

tommi

Quote from: "PeterPablo"edit: Unfortunately the file https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwlgvH_ ... l5TzQ/edit is currently not downloadable. May be an issue with google? I will check it again later..
Just tried it, Thailand can be downloaded.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "PeterPablo"You are my hero!
I will test it right away. This comes in very handy, since in a couple of days I will travel there.

Hi,

There is an issue with the map, the captions and pathtexts in Laos and Kambodia render as rectangles, no Idea why.
The rest should render fine as far as I tested.

Have a nice trip  :!:
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

wvb

Hi Christian,

do you plan on creating a map of Luxemburg, it's a part of BeNeLux?
I don't see it anywhere, also not in the older maps.

thanks in advance!
  •  

druki

See first post at
Europe (Custom Regions)
->BeNeLux
;-)
  •  

PeterPablo

Quote from: "kech61"
Quote from: "PeterPablo"You are my hero!
I will test it right away. This comes in very handy, since in a couple of days I will travel there.

Hi,

There is an issue with the map, the captions and pathtexts in Laos and Kambodia render as rectangles, no Idea why.
The rest should render fine as far as I tested.

Have a nice trip  :!:

Hi, from what I saw it really looks great! Thank you very much!!
If I find some time I will play around with the theme "Volatile_Cycle_Hike" which gives me the best look and feel to start off.

Peter
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "wvb"do you plan on creating a map of Luxemburg, it's a part of BeNeLux?
I don't see it anywhere, also not in the older maps.

Hi,
yes its part of Luxemburg, I added this information to the download-page.
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

wvb

Quote from: "kech61"yes its part of Luxemburg

oops.. didn't see that  :oops:
thanks for explaining.

druki:
thanks for the info but I was looking for the Lux part with cycle..
accidentally posted in this thread instead of Christians :)
  •  

benoitb

Yeay ! I managed to build my 1st map (Turkmenistan so I could compare it to Christian's map).
It works fine, and seems to be the same as Christian's :)

Christian, do you accept maps from contributors to help you populate your site and maintain it up to date ? I will probably try to build China, Korea, and other missing maps.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "benoitb"Yeay ! I managed to build my 1st map (Turkmenistan so I could compare it to Christian's map).
It works fine, and seems to be the same as Christian's :)

Christian, do you accept maps from contributors to help you populate your site and maintain it up to date ? I will probably try to build China, Korea, and other missing maps.

Hi,

Congratulation for building your first map  :!:

China would be a challenge, its a real big country - I suppose it will have to be split into several maps.
The countourlines will take a lot of space (Tibet etc..).

I attached my tag-mapping for wide countrys where the small roads and towns apperar at even low zoom-level,
in my experience it should be OK for China.
Of couse you dont need use it (the tags for cycle/hiking will be useless for you) - just take a look at the zoom-appear's if you want.
There are several tags added too like caravan_site, tertiary_link, water=dock (some harbours are tagged like this) aso...

Once you finish the maps I will make a section for these maps on the download page of openandromaps.org with a brief CP-Notice.

[attachment=0:3l04n50n]tag-mapping-iceland.zip[/attachment:3l04n50n]

Edit:
This tag-mapping should _not_ be uses for crowded areas like Netherlands, Germany, France - it will crash the phone cause of the data overhead.
For crowded areas in China like Peking etc.. it should be testet on phone bevore release.

Database: I would sugest to use the planet file from 4.July.2012, it was the last planet file bevore the redaction-bot startet deleting data from users who don't signed the new OSM-licence.
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "kech61"This tag-mapping should _not_ be uses for crowded areas like Netherlands, Germany, France - it will crash the phone cause of the data overhead.
For crowded areas in China like Peking etc.. it should be testet on phone bevore release.

Hmm, it seems that it depends of the used phone. Or do you think it´s a rendering problem because of more considered rules in the themes?
At least with the older Galaxy Tab (PT1000) and the Galaxy S2 I didn´t see this problem. Even the 865 MB Alps map (without cycle routes) from jurajs works fine.
(@jurajs, thank you for your effort)
Regards J.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "jusc"do you think it´s a rendering problem because of more considered rules in the themes?
At least with the older Galaxy Tab (PT1000) and the Galaxy S2 I didn´t see this problem. Even the 865 MB Alps map (without cycle routes) from jurajs works fine.
(@jurajs, thank you for your effort)

Hi Jusc,

This is very complex issue it depends on many details and im far from beeing able calculate a behaviour of a map in advance.

The Alps are no Problem, it seems that it depends on the amount of vectors per area (eg Vectors/mile²),
this is a serious Problem at low zoom-levels, the worst is level 7, here a major area of a country is visible
_and_ all ncn+icn + major roads appear so the {vectors/area*visible_area} needs lots of calculation time and sometimes crash a phone/app.

This leads to several different "zoom-interval-conf"s for map creation (=amount and ajustment of internal base zoom levels)
+ tagmappings adjusted to these levels (3 base levels per default, 4 for GB+NL otherwise these maps crash).

Another problem are Monster relations (Multipolygons) like the lake district west of Stockholm, while the Sweden is no problem at all,
this single area sometimes causes misbehaviour.

And, of couse you are right, it depends on the phone.
I theory maps that are critical even on the small screen of my Xperia Active should crash every high-resolution screen - however, in the contrary they run fine on SGII, S_Note aso.  8-)

So well... I check the behaviour of every map after major upgrades in the prozessing-sheme.
This lead to 5 mapping runs for GB after adding wateriles till the map rendered reliable on the phone  :roll:
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

jurajs

announce:
I will rebuild all maps in 1st post very soon.

attached is the current tag-mapping.xml.
can you guys have a look? any hints for improvements are welcome.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "jurajs"any hints for improvements are welcome.

Hi jurajs,

There are only minor additions you may want to take a look at:

Some harbours are tagged this way (eg Aberdeen):
   <osm-tag key="waterway" value="dock" zoom-appear="8" />

Maybe some usefull touristic information:
   <pois>
      <osm-tag key="tourism" value="caravan_site" zoom-appear="14" /> <!--Wohnmobil Stellplatz -->
      <osm-tag key="tourism" value="camp_site" zoom-appear="14" />
   </pois>   

Some tertiary roads are tagged like this (no idea why):
   <osm-tag key="highway" value="tertiary_link" zoom-appear="12" />
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

jurajs

Thanks for your reply Christian,

btw: i assume that the problem with rendering of water/sea areas is not solved yet by mapsforge directly... right ? I read the workaroud thread on mapsforge forum.... but my brain lacks mental capacity to implement the changes at this moment ;-)
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "kech61"Hi beboitb,

The Maps for

iran_north
kyrgyzstan
tajikistan
turkmenistan
uzbekistan

are ready for download at
//http://www.openandromaps.org

Please report if they are usefull
Thank you for including US regions, but I have a question.  I see a terrain contour line or two..  Maybe every 100 meters?  Not sure.  Is this a parameter that can be set to how many meters between contours there are?  There's a place I ride my bike that's up and down the side of a hill for example, tough climbs and fun descents, yet there's not a contour at all to show it because it's not a long distance up or down.  If you want, links below to examples, the track shown doesn't show quite as much deviation up and down as it is in reality I suppose either.

Thank you!

KY/Ohio Vector Map from your site:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/334233/Screens ... -57-39.png

My Topo raster map
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/334233/Screens ... -57-57.png
  •