How to use Offline Maps

Started by JohnMacCallum, April 18, 2012, 01:05:06

JohnMacCallum

Hi, I have downloaded the maps of New Zealand using the option under Map Management in Locus but have no idea how to access it. As soon as I disconnect from my Wireless connection I can no longer see the maps, only the portion where I had viewed while connected to the wireless. I used the download manager, By Country, and tried both Online Shared Map (Sql Type) and Separate Map (Sql type). Do I have to do something to 'activate' the offline map?
  •  

Starman

Hi John-

Where are you located? If you are anywhere other than NZ, you have to "get on the map".
In the Map Manager "Online" tab. You should see the map you downloaded.
Click on that map to activate it, then do an address search for perhaps Christchurch to get on the map.

Or,

In the Map Manager "Personal" tab, you should also see your map.
If so, click the Screwdriver and wrench symbol, then click "Center map" to get on the map.

Hope this helps.
"I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free." -  Michelangelo
  •  

JohnMacCallum

Thanks for your quick reply. I think the problem was that I first had the free version of Locus and downloaded the map which I could not access. I then upgraded to Locus Pro but still could not see the offline map. I then downloaded the map again and I can now see it? Thanks for youir help.
  •  

Starman

That's odd, Locus Free and Pro share the same folder structure, so any map you download in one version should also be available to the other.
Locus Free and Locus Pro are seperate apps, so you could uninstall Free now if you desired. Just back up your data first.

Also, if you want more map choices, and if you haven't already done so, you can go to Google Play Store and search for the "tweak", a free Locus addon. Glad you got it working.
"I saw the angel in the marble, and carved until I set him free." -  Michelangelo
  •