Editing Saved Tracks?

Started by umbilicalbungee, December 16, 2011, 21:30:04

umbilicalbungee

Ok I tried to search for this in the forum before posting, but I kept getting the message that all the words used were common words. (I really hate when forums do this!) So I'm just going to go ahead and post this.

I'd like to be able to edit the points in a saved track (move them to a differnt road for instance). Perhaps there is away to do this already, but I can't seen to find it? I know that you can go back and edit previous points in a new track as you are creating it, but it doesn't seem to allow this when you load a saved track.

I love this app by the way. Its the first thing that I've found that lets you make custom routes and navigate them with turn by turn directions. Its great for road biking! You plan your route to take your favorite backroads and then you don't have to stop and check maps as you ride.

Thanks.
  •  

Rob

Hi,
there is a way, not so easy but ....
Highlight the point you will move = click on it,
A popup is displayed - select "I"  of the point = 2nd from top ( not of the track!)
The details of the point are displayed
Click on the tool symbol - edit point and you get a selection how you would change (GPS, from map,...)

Enjoy
Regards
Rob
  •  

umbilicalbungee

Thanks for the instructions Rob. I see what you mean. Is there any way to make these edits follow roads like the navigate function does? I couldn't find a way to make it do that. I think this would be a great feature update. Also as I was following these instructions it would pop up a window to choose a web browser to complete the action and I would have to press back to bypass it. I assume this is a bug?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  follow road .. hmm, already created or recorded tracks cannot be modified in this way. I really suggest to upload track to some web site (like GPSies or Breadcrumbs) rather then editing directly in phone. About web browser ... what exactly did you do that you saw opening of web browser?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

umbilicalbungee

Thanks for the response Menion. I'll try editing tracks with another program as you suggest. I'd love to see track editing as a new feature in Locus. I'm not sure how complicated it would be, but when editing a saved track, if the user selected turn points could be recalled so that the editing process would be the same as when creating a navigation track it would be super. I don't know if it would be possible to store that data with the track points. Could they be special track points with a code in the description that Locus could recognize? I'm sure you have much better idea, I'm just guessing.

I can't seem reproduce the bug where it was asking to choose a web browser (I think that was it). It was that window that pops up when you click a web link, but have not associated links with a particular app. I think after I made a choice it created some association and then never popped up again. I'll post again if I see it happen.

Thanks for the great piece of software. I'm really excited to see that you are actively developing it.
  •  

kaare

I often miss the ability to trim off unnecessary noise at the beginning and end of recorded tracks.

I use this tool a lot during cycling, skiing and hiking, and I'm never able to start or stop the recording at the exact start or finish. Sometimes I forget to stop the recording. That leaves a lot of undesired points which skews the chart and the overall statistics. It would be totally awesome the have the ability to select a point in the recording and say "Delete everything after this" or "... before this".

Locus is not and will never be the right tool for full-blown editing of track recordings, but a simple trim tool to define where your start and finish was is highly desired.
  •  

shushuk

I support this, especially to delete single waypoints in the middle of a recorded track and say "Connect the point before and after this (deleted) waypoint".
Sometimes you forget to pause recording when moving too far away from your BT GPS Mouse or go into a shop....

Cheers
shushuk
  •  

gynta

Menion

this topic was declined ... hmm, I'll rather put it into completed category ;)

(next discussion on GetSatisfaction)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •