How to get the "Unlock code" out of a completed cartridge?

Started by Nemax, January 09, 2011, 20:34:12

Nemax

Hello,

I successfully completed the following Wherigo Geocache:

http://www.wherigo.com/cartridge/detail ... a4c4879f06

After correctly answering all of the questions up to the last question, the cartridge leads you to a container with a log book and a "Cartridge Code". The last question is to enter this "Cartridge Code" which I successfully did. Then, the player displayed nothing any more, no new questions, no new "You see" items, no success message, no final code.

Now I have no way to unlock the cartridge on http://www.wherigo.com. The OWS file (option 1) is not accepted, and entering the "Cartridge Code" as "unlock code" (option 2) does not work either, obviously they are not identical.

I asked the creator, but he did not know anything about any "unlock code", he only knows about his "Cartridge Code" mentioned above.

Can someone help me? Is there a way to get the actual "unlock code" out of the save files of the completed cartridge?

Regards,
Nemax
  •  

matejcik

yah, when the creator doesn't know about unlock codes, it is to be expected that the cartridge won't show it...

Unlock Code is a unique 15-character code generated from the combination of the cartridge and your user name - so it is always the same for you, but different for everyone else. well-behaved cartridges show you this Unlock Code at the end. less well-behaved don't

now you have two options:

a) don't unlock on wherigo.com
yes, i know, it's supposedly "required" for the find on gc.com, but in practice, there is no way to check it. that's right, you can unlock the cartridge, but it won't be displayed anywhere and the owner can't check that you unlocked.

b) find the code in the GWC file.
simply open it in notepad and look for a sequence of uppercase characters and numbers, something looking like this: XH8DHDAI2A86
then copy that as the Unlock Code.
if the sequence has 16 characters, input only the first 15

both ways can be used for cheating, but since you did complete the cartridge, i don't see a problem with that.
  •