Search vector maps for names and places

Started by kaare, September 12, 2011, 14:35:33

kaare

Summary: Add offline search for streets, places and names in offline vector maps.

First of all, let me express my gratitude towards menion and this great, great application, Locus. It's absolutely fantastic.

The introduction of offline rendered maps, vector maps, through the use of mapsforge is a step in the right direction for applications on mobile devices, IMHO. Looking at the TODO-list to mapsforge, there is a turn-by-turn navigation ahead. Hopefully Locus will benefit from this as well. I believe offline maps are very important for end users, due to expensive data plans from mobile operators. You obviously need maps when you're traveling, and prices for data network usage abroad is often ridiculous compared to prices back home. So you really want your maps readily available on your phone when your're heading towards the airport.

Nuff chitchat.

Given that maps are vector data, is it not possible to search this for places, names and POI-s (cafes, restaurants)? I haven't studied the API for mapsforge, nor have I dived into the format of the map files used by it, but it would be so totally cool to be able to search your offline vector map for places, cities, suburbs, streets, cafes, etc.

So my question, or single wishlist bullet point right now, is: if the mapsforge framework allows it, add support for search in offline vector maps.
  •  

Menion

I would like to add this, but currectly it's not possible. To be correct, it is possible but in different files. There is possibility to generate some database files that allow address search, but this is very weird (to have vector map in one file and file for address search as second). So I'll wait till MapsForge create it for now ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

kaare

Looking at mapsforge's issue #159 – Offline address search with addressdb files, they mention that the next version of AdvancedMapViewer will have address search support. That comment is dated july 20th, and mapsforge-0.8.4 was released july 28th. Though I tried the standalone AdvancedMapViewer-0.8.4 app, I could not find this feature, so I'm guessing it's coming in 0.8.5. Anyway, is this something you can benefit from at all?
  •  

wvb

Very much interested in this too :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Menion

yes I can. Anyway I hope they allow to search in same file that is used for map drawing. Otherwise, it'll be little bit ... weird (but still usable)

EDIT: ah, I just readed what you post above and this is what I already readed :)). Ok, I'll add address search in these files, it's on plan ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •