Main Menu

Bearing

Started by Gammalerik, September 04, 2011, 15:24:40

Gammalerik

First time poster

Great app. Use it a lot. Having recently bought a kayak, I see the need for having the bearing displayed as a line when in map view. When paddling out on the sea this saves a lot of effort and strength.

I see that the guide has bearing in numbers, and that one's course is also defined by the "gps-arrow" but this is too inaccurate when trying to paddle in a straight line. An extended line from one position to the edge of the screen (a la Navionics) would be most helpful

example of bearing (red line) displayed on the map:

[attachment=0:3o84uvjf]IMG_0011.PNG.768x1024.png[/attachment:3o84uvjf]
  •  

Gammalerik

Sorry for my impatience, but I am bumping this already because I really see the need for a projected line showing one's bearing/course at sea. Not only is this a major help to avoid things like submerged rocks etc, but also helps a lot to navigate in the most straight course possible.

Please :)
  •  

Menion

I'll think about it :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gammalerik

Thanks
Come to think about it... couldn't this be easily solved by introducing something as simple as optional graphics for the arrow?
Instead of the standard arrow that looks something like this >-  it could be optional to have one that looks like this >---------

This way the cpu will not use extra resources I guess.
  •  

Menion

done (check map settings in next market version)
  •  

Gammalerik

Downloaded the new update, 1.12 and this new azimuth line was awesome. Thank you so much :D
  •  

Menion

you're welcome ... home it looks nice enough ;)
  •  

Gammalerik

Yes it looks very nice.

And it gave me an added bonus that I did not consider: When I use the azimuth line together with guide-line, I now can also compensate for deviation from wind and/or currents at sea by turning my kayak in such a way that theese two lines overlap/run parallel.  Brilliant!

Also, when "show view" is enabled too, I can still display my bearings while pointing phone at known points the same time.

First test. A little stroll. This is me turning my phone towards at my neighbor's house while still having my bearing displayed: All is accurate, even shows that I have walked on the right hand side of the road. Happy today :lol:

[attachment=0:1ng7dxox]SC20110906-215650.jpeg[/attachment:1ng7dxox]
  •  

Menion

hmm this is nice :) (don't expect this behavior of course) .. I think, this is right isn't it? It show valid azimuth from GPS ...
  •  

Gammalerik

Quote from: "menion"hmm this is nice :) (don't expect this behavior of course) .. I think, this is right isn't it? It show valid azimuth from GPS ...
Yes all is good :)
If I turn off "show view" the  blue standard arrow will be a shorter version of the azimuth line. (points the exact same direction)
  •