Power consumption - overview

Started by MarcinLas, May 17, 2023, 15:25:39

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Andrew Heard on May 19, 2023, 08:22:48we can't directly compare the absolute value of each device battery consumption per hour because each device has a different size battery, I*think* mine is roughly 4mAh (4Ah). A small battery, with all else the same, will have a bigger drain per hour.

Agreed in general, Andrew.

Yet: your 4% for pure tracking, like my tablet (completely different beast than your's), Tapio's initial 6%, they are all reasonable values.

Doubling at the end on Tapio's device needs to be understood (this is a FACTOR), and the extreme factor on my S10.

@Tapio: did those 12% appear for half of the trip, or only like in the last hour before end of battery capacity?
  •  

Andrew Heard

You could backup settings on good device, copy & restore on bad device, to test apples with apples? Something is very badly wrong. Sorry to hear.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on May 19, 2023, 13:42:31@Tapio: did those 12% appear for half of the trip, or only like in the last hour before end of battery capacity?
See attachment (bat log is every 5%), seems like with increasing time system eats more battery, but - I think it's rather system/hardware who create optimistic battery levels, the more charged it is, the decay of batt level speeds up, not the first device I observe it. And I'm fine with my consumption. Have always >40 when my outdoor activities are done, no need for a powerbank, good.

EDIT: No, I cannot generalize. Checked another hiking trip, except the first half hour I had pretty stable usage of around 13%/h the rest of the trip.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Andrew Heard

Mine has always been around 4%/h and goes down independent of total %. Lately it's going down a bit faster as battery is getting to end of life.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Andrew Heard on May 19, 2023, 18:08:31Mine has always been around 4%/h and goes down independent of total %. Lately it's going down a bit faster as battery is getting to end of life.

Yes, after 4 years the S10 battery showed the same effect, but stronger, which led to the swap (including explosion and rebuild).
And yes, Andrew, config transfer from Tab was my plan, too. Done last night and WIN! 4.5%/h.

I will now compare the disaster config with the good one and report here.
From look and feel and handling I sense zero difference, so the difference must be something very interesting and hidden.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: michaelbechtold on May 20, 2023, 06:50:57And yes, Andrew, config transfer from Tab was my plan, too. Done last night and WIN! 4.5%/h.

I will now compare the disaster config with the good one and report here.
From look and feel and handling I sense zero difference, so the difference must be something very interesting and hidden.
well done!! will be very interesting to read the difference!
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Menion: I rushed to see the results from taking the Tab S6l config, so I did not care about wrong paths (EXT SD IDs of course differ). After the that test I started to correct the 4 of them:
1) backup - no problem while processing, neither after restart
2) maps - on the Tab (small INT SD), this is on EXT SD; on S10 it used to be in the main Locus folder (INT SD/Locus). Processing: a list of maps, well known to me, runs across the screen; after restart, maps is EMPTY !! (Real losses, as I did not expect such and did not backup those upfront)
There is definitely a logic error. Locus must NEVER delete anything from the target folder; IN PARTICULAR if the source is non-existent!
3) mapsVector - same amok. That one did not hurt, because it were LM3 maps, supposed to be updated anyway
4) srtm - OK, like #1
So I have been busy for a while ...

Config difference analysis to come later.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

michaelbechtold

@Menion: once I had the 4 directories adapted to the S10, I ran another test.
And it went back to disaster: 20%/h

Then I renamed the huge srtm folder on EXT SD without adapting in Locus and started yet another test.
It seems we are back to 4%/h

The config differences between original S10 and original Tab are tedious to walk through.
The differences between original Tab (4%/h on S10) and adapated config (20%/h) are in the areas you can expect: screen positions and some paths.

I'm now testing the S10 without access to the srtms and the Tab with access to ist srtms - stay tuned ...
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Menion: now the brain twister for you:
- S10 with erroneous SRTM path is back to 4%/h
- Tab S6l with a working 30,000 hgt SRTM folder takes 1%/h
- difference is: the S10 SRTM is directly at EXT SD top level, which the Tab SRTM is in a LocusEXT sub-folder.

Any idea why that is?
  •  

michaelbechtold

More food for thoughts, Menion:
Moving the SRTM folder one level down does not help on S10 (Android 12, while Tab is Android 13)
  •  

michaelbechtold

I ran a number of tests today and this is the pattern:
- the pure existence of an empty SRTM folder on EXT SD does not harm
- putting the hgt of the track area into the SRTM folder increased the burn from 4% to 6%/h
- moving this stuff to INT SD does not help
- putting 100 1sec hgts into the INT SRTM folder blew up the burn to 12%/h

S10, Android 12.

Question to @Menion: why would Locus deal with ANY hgt file while recording??
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Menion: after a dozen tests or so, narrowing down the effect, this is the outcome:
- tracking with screen off, record only when moving, device always in the same place, hence only the normal GPS "noise" movements
- if the hgt file of the area is a 3sec file, the battery burn is 4%/h
- if the hgt file of the area is a single 1sec file, the battery burn is 12%/h
- if the srtm folder is full of 1sec files, the burn jumps to 20%/h
- this is regardless of INT or EXT SD

That strongly points to Locus doing (useless?) hgt file operations which tracking. At least I cannot explain why Locus should look at hgt files while it records a track.

Can you pls. check and advise?
TXs and cheers
Michael

Menion

What a nice observation!!!
I have no idea why this happens but will check it. I'm going to download a few (maybe more) 1" files ...

And why the app use them? Maybe some setup in the altitude manager?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Thank you Menion.
Just checked: Use offset: NO, SRTM data: don't use, Medium filter (for GPS I suppose)
  •  

michaelbechtold

PS: it can easily be that Locus touches the "local" hgt in any case, 1 or 3 alike, but the battery cost would be multiple in case of 1sec, depending on what it is doing.
Also shading and dynamic elevation are OFF, of course
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion