Locus looses GPS signal when turning off display

Started by welberger, August 15, 2011, 10:07:27

welberger

Hi,

I experienced a strange problem when trying to record a track this weekend. I'm using a LG Optimus Speed smartphone which I updated to CM7. Before when I used Froyo I never had this problem - so I don't know if it's CM7 related or just Locus having trouble working with Gingerbread - and here's the problem:
I start Locus and get a GPS fix in a few seconds time (so no  problem here) then I start recording a track and turn off the screen (I always do this to extend battery runtime). Next time when I turn on the screen again to check on the recording I see that Locus doesn't have any signal anymore - on the GPS screen no satellites are shown but the "GPS on" button is still turned to "on" (in settings the option "Turn off GPS" is turned off!).
When I now deactivate GPS via the button and reactivate it after short while, I will have a GPS fix in a few seconds time. So it can't be for a weak GPS signal that the signal is not detected (btw I made the experience that I get a GPS fix in 8 to 15 sec time even indoors!!). And the sad thing is: I get no recording at all  :cry:
And as I said before: As long as I was using Froyo I didn't have problems with Locus loosing its signal. I always had very acurate recordings.
  •  

Menion

hi, I'm actually on vacation but i'm testing this function and all works fine for me on 2.3.4, so I think it's problem of CM. exist any newer version?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

stebu

I had a slightly different problem today. I was using Locus just for a backup map, with GPS on and screen turned off. Suddenly I became popular and received two phone calls. After both calls the GPS was turned off in Locus!? The system GPS switch was on, but Locus had decided, that GPS should be turned off. I used the setting "Turn off GPS when display is off".
Not a big problem, unless you are recording.
  •  

DDB

I have the same problem as welberger. Seems it's a problem of Gingebread. If I start to record track everything is fine until I turn off screen. After that if I turn on screen in some minutes, position is at place where I was when the screen was turned off and part of track is missing. In a few seconds GPS receiver finds satellites. So gps reciever loses lock (fix) when screen is off (locked).
I found some ways for solving this problem:
1) Keep screen - program don't allow screen to be turned off
2) Downgrade to Froyo
Are there any other methods for solving this problem (maybe more simple)?
  •  

DDB

Today I've recorded tracks with Endomondo and Google My Track with turned off screen. Everything was OK. But Locus still periodically loses GPS with turned off screen. When I turn off screen icon of GPS is green (GPS fixed), when I turn on screen icon is orange (GPS lost). Something happens in background - I don't know what. I also decided that this is problem not of the Gingebread but Locus.
I'm on version 2.0.1 Locus Pro. My phone is HTC Desire - Gingebread 2.3.3 Stock. Please help me.
  •  

tommi

Did you check your GPS settings (Locus->Settings->GPS and location)?
Maybe you have GPS auto-off ticked? In your case I would recommend to remove the tick from this setting.
If this doesn't help you should report the complete settings in the GPS and location menu.
  •  

DDB

GPS and location settings: enable at start - on, enable notification - on, Disable when hidden - off, gps auto-off - off
  •  

Menion

weird ... may I send you testing version on email together with some instructions?
  •  

DDB

Of course - please send at mailto:vbn@bk.ru">vbn@bk.ru
  •  

AndroidBubi

Samsung Gio Gingerbread 2.3.6. -
Screen turn off/locked -
Locus pro 2.01 has/makes no problem with losing GPS.
  •  

Menion

AndroidBubi - there's so much different phones and everyone react little bit different ... unfortunately

DDB: new mail is heading to you, hope it will works now
  •  

Tusor

I do have a similar problem. I tried to record two tracks. One while running and the other during biking. Both stopped at a certain kind of random point.
While the biking track was recorded I also used the guiding function. This was turned off as well. What's going on here? I am using Locus Pro 2.2.2 on a DesireHD with Android 2.3.5.
I doublechecked the settings and did not find a clue for this behaviour.
  •  

Tusor

Today I tried again to log my way while biking. This time it is really weird as it stopped tracking at several points and started again at other points. So I now have a track with several gaps of up to 1km. Can there be something wrong with the option that stops tracking when I am not moving? I just disabled it and are going to test it on the next ride.
  •  

Menion

aren't you using GPS auto-off feature?

anyway you're not only one with some autopausing unwanted feature. I'm currently releasing new version. There will probably be no change with this problem anyway I'm giving it high priority to next release ...
  •  

Tusor

I tried once the auto-off feature to safe battery, yes. But I was not satisfied with the resulting track, as there were many points way of the actual way. So I now tried again with auto-off off. Thats why all the stuff written in this thread is without the auto-off feature.
When you are going to fix this with one of the next versions: Is there any workaround, as I would like to track meanwhile?
  •