Guiding sounds

Started by delachaa, August 08, 2011, 10:24:28

delachaa

Hello,
I struggled to understand the guidance system and in particular the parameters to give.
I have configured to get a beep when I stray from the path. Now I find that I receive a beep as each jump from one point to another and most of the route, even stopping on the road I have a beep every 30 sec.
In fact, I had placed a greater distance to "Set next point" (100m), while the "distance for sounds" was smaller (80m) ... Briefly, at each change point was too far from the track while I am on it!

However, I have a problem with the choice of a warning beep. Finding the beep too quiet, I wanted to choose "type of sound notification" and "Custom sound on distance" and choose the "Chime" (and OK), but the beep is the same and that "Custom is selected sound" my choice (Chime) is not displayed when I return it!

For usability, I think we should distinguish the type of notification (remote or the passage of the point) and the choice of beep (standard or custom).

Ideally, there should be an custom alarm sound for X (1, 2 3 ?) times when you lose the route and beep until it is found (see the Special lorqu'on find it).

I am using Free 1.9.5

Thank for your work !
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  first problem with wrong sound when you have greater distance for "next point" then for distance from track, should be solved in last version (1.9.6!). I'm doing a lot of changes not to guiding system, anyway this sounds notification remain same for now. Your problem with 'chime' sound is probably because you're setting sound for guiding on waypoints and not along path. Along path is not actually ability for custom sound

I'll anyway think about your solution and try to improve current solution to be more usable
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

delachaa

Thank you, .. I will wait the next release ...

I have a number of other minor complaints about the ergonomics .. I gather in a specific post.
  •  

Skater

Sound POI: works
Sound 'Follow a route/track' - Guiding next POI: works
But Sound by getting for away of the track: don't works
Skater
"A life without LOCUS is possible but pointless" (based on Loriot)
  •  

Menion

are you sure? it works fine for me ...
  •  

Skater

Requires a special format?
GPX
<wpt> => POI
<rte> => Route to follow
<trk> => recorded Track

The LOCUS recorded track contains
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="43.7992298235383" lon="13.011459477650138">
<ele>18.996092796325698</ele>
<time>2011-08-19T10:12:43Z</time>
</trkpt>

Skater
By the way:
correction factor over ground dependence on location (lat, lon)?
(orthometric height, sea level, sea height)
  •  

Menion

no it should not depend on type of data in some source file. You can test this sounds simply if you enable guiding with disabled GPS. Then your map centre serve as your location and you can simulate guiding. Beeping when too far from track depend on straight distance between you and the nearest point on track

anc correction factor? you mean settings in preferences to correct altitude? Yes, it depend on you location on sphere (lat, lon). It should be distance between reference ellipsoid used by GPS system and geoid
  •  

Skater

Works! Thanks a lot, especially the hint to test the sound offline!

But, visualize a trekking-tour: windstorm, snowstrom, rainfall, hail and all the rest of it.
Inshort: You cannot supervising the track on screen.
Only LOCUS knows where you are. A single beep every 30 seconds?
Maybe frequently (settings: 5s, 15s or 30s) or depends on distance:
(Type of sound notification)
-> Increase frequency when go too far
Skater
PS
Which is the factor to correct altitude? Depending on lat/lon?
North Europe? Middle Europe? South Europe? East Europe?
May be it is possible to reprogram the correction factor, therefore it is always the right one, depending on lat/lon?
//http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/wgs84/gravitymod/wgs84_180/intptW.html
  •