Samsung Galaxy SII

Started by jusc, August 07, 2011, 20:01:07

jusc

Hi,
what do you think about the Samsung Galaxy SII? Should I by it? :D Is it working perfectly together with Locus?
J.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

sure it is, because I and Berkley, both test Locus on it ;). Anyway Defy is really pretty nice piece of hardware so it slightly depend on what you need. Locus will not be much faster on SGS2. Defy is much better into the wild ... it depend :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Vector maps are a bit slow on Defy.
J.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
Regards J.
  •  

wvb

Locus runs great on SGSII but the GPS accuracy can be an issue on the SGSII...
For me it fluctuates between 10m and 35m mostly above 10m though
Also getting a fix without internet can be an issue sometimes
It all seems to depend on your hardware (is different per phone it seems)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

delachaa

The Galaxy SII is actually very well with Locus but I find that its autonomy is limited and that the GPS fix time is too long (about 5 min)
 Of course, there are additional applications to manage the level of backlight (Widget Brightness) and to get a faster fix (GPS Test)

I intended to ask a question about that.
Anyway, I want to thank Menion for this very remarkable software  which I have allowed myself to write several web pages in French to facilitate the discovery of the software ...
https://sites.google.com/site/androtools/locus
  •  

Menion

hmm delachaa, really appreciate this, thank you :) ... and about speed of vector maps, on this will have influence speed of phone processor. Question is how much. I moved maps (whole Locus) from SD card to internal storage and it seems to be much faster now, so it should depend also on SD card speed, not just CPU speed I think ...
  •  

berkley

Can confirm every single word written in the posts above!

(1) Galaxy SII is a very very nice piece of hardware!
Just a tip for Jusc: You can get "rid of" your old phone right here: http://www.wirkaufens.de/
First point is, that they pay very vell for used devices. Second and more important point is the ecological point of view.

(2) The Galaxy SII isn't the only very very nice piece of hardware out there!

(3) Speed of vector maps depends extremly on speed of sd cards. Both, Internal or external sd cards. I now own a class 10 sd-card, and it is almost as fast as the internal sd.

(4) Yes, the speed of the phone processor has also big influence on speed of vector maps.

(5) With my old school French, I was able to read and understand a little bit what delachaa has written on his site! Very nice!

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

jusc

The SII (2.3.3) arrived yesterday. :D
Now it´s time to root it. Does anybody use a custom rom that doesn´t drain battery, better saves a bit battery and very important, can be used with locus with an external bluetooth gps receiver?
And wlan, camera etc. should work too. Perhaps revolution 2.6? (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1171523)
Thank you for advises.

J.
Regards J.
  •  

wvb

I have been using Cognition for a while and was very happy with it, I'm currently on CM because I wanted to test my new PS3 sixaxis on my SGSII :)
If I go back to a non CM rom it will be Cognition..
  •  

Gammalerik

Owner of SGS2 ver 2.3.3 and have no issues whatsoever with Locus. Fast GPS fix (10 secs) and does not fluctuate
  •  

vojtec

Hello,
first thans for great application. Just one issue with SGSII - I have a problem importing sqlitedb files.
When I upload this file to the phone (maps directory) and then add this map in Locus Free, it renames the map file with the .back extension, creates .mark file and .sqlitedb file has zero size... Any idea, what to do?
Thanks
Vojtec
  •  

Menion

hmm and is map working then for you? We was discuss about it here but not sure what was result. Corrupted map maybe? Are all maps do this?
  •  

vojtec

Map is not visible in the list of maps. But now I have tried another sqllitedb map from differenct source and it works with no problems.
So this bug is related only to this particular set of maps and SGSII (users of other phones use them with no problem). Thanks for feedback, I will use different maps, no need to spend time on this particular issuem maps (which are probably somehow corrupted).
  •  

jusc

I bought the SGS2 without an additional SDCard. After installing Locus maps have been stored in ..."/external_SD" or something like this.
Some weeks later I bought second SDCard and put it into the free slot inside of the SGS2. From this moment the new SDCard became the "/external_SD" and I couldn´t see the old mount point on the original SDCard.
I had to remove the new SDCard and copy my tracks and maps from "system" SDCard to PC and after this I put the new additional card into the SGS2 again and copied the tracks and maps onto the new card.
Now it works.

Seems that Locus is the only app that stores the data onto "/external_SD" even if there is no external or second card at least on SGS2?
Regards J.
  •  

tommi

Hi Menion,
in order to be able to use free space on both internal and external card could make it possible to specify paths for maps?
  •