Geocaching: GPX Import: Format of Listing

Started by Ted Quinlan, August 07, 2011, 09:15:33

Ted Quinlan

Well, I'm really appreciating the features and increasing convenience of Locus more and more. In fact, I'm using my smartphone as my only GC device for weks now - works great.

I just noticed one thing:

Is it possible to keep the format (spaces, rows etc.) of the original Listing also in the imported POI's in Locus? Or is this problem due to limitations of the gpx format itself?

Example (in german, but the language doesn't matter, only the format):

Part of Cache description:

A = B – C
B = Einerstelle der Jahreszahl der Errichtung der Löschemer Kapelle
C = Ein Drittel der Länge einer Wanderschleife
D = C x 2
E = D x 2

Station 2:
49.41.ABC
006.33.0ED

How it looks in the Listing in Locus:

A = B – CB = Einerstelle der Jahreszahl der Errichtung der Löschemer
KapelleC = Ein Drittel der Länge einer
WanderschleifeD = C x 2E = D x 2Station
2:49.41.ABC006.33.0ED

Of course, the line breaks depend on the used device and resolution of course, but when in comes to formulas etc. it's pretty inconvenient to read.

But as I said, I don't know if this is a Locus or a GPX Problem ... or maybe it's on my side ...
  •  

Menion

Hi Ted,
  how is exactly formatted text in listing in PQ files? It's surely covered by CDATA object, right? But inside it's valid HTML text so there need to be some <br> or <p> tags that break lines ... is it there? (if you understand)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Ted Quinlan

Hi menion,

ok, this is something which I could have thought of myself :)
I examined the .gpx file created by the PQ and found that there's a tag

<groundspeak:long_description html="False">

at the beginning of the actual listing.
In the text itself there are no html tags at all, but it's still formatted correctly:

A = B – C
B = Einerstelle der Jahreszahl der Errichtung der Löschemer Kapelle
C = Ein Drittel der Länge einer Wanderschleife
D = C x 2
E = D x 2

Station 2:
49.41.ABC      
006.33.0ED

Then there's the closing tag : </groundspeak:long_description>

Maybe this has sth. to do with the html=false parameter ....
  •  

Menion

hmm yes, I ignore this in locus because I always saw only html=true tag. Damn ... I'll look at it :)
  •  

Ted Quinlan

Hmm, maybe there's a way to control the html setting, like the setting one can use when receiving newsletters? I checked it but found nothing. The only thing to influence gpx behaviour is the version 1.0 or 1.01. I chose 1.01 because of the attributes ...
  •  

Menion

hmm I'll probably do one think. When listing will be html=false, I'll replace all line breaks (n) with html tag <br> and similar with spaces. May you please send me one gecache that have this 'html=false' please? Thanks

EDIT: also this is valid PQ file from gc.com page or from any application (geoget, gsak)?
  •  

Ted Quinlan

It's an official file from gc.com created by a pocket query. I just picked one cache an created a gpx file only for this one using the "GPX" button on the cache page .. still html=false. Of course i can send you the file ... which email adress or other method should i use?
  •  

wvb

Don't know if it's related but I noticed when I create a Field Note with "enters" in it they are not saved and everything is put on one line...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Ted Quinlan

That's why I use only one short prefill line (date, time and cachecount actually) and edit the logs on my home pc after uploading and before posting them ...
  •  

Menion

hmm I donwloaded cache by GPX button and still 'html=True'. Interesting :). Send me your file on  mailto:locus@asamm.cz">locus@asamm.cz. Do you have idea why you have dowloaded caches with 'html=false' and me with 'true'?

wvb: what? you put word "enters" in field note and it place all field notes into one line? :)
  •  

Ted Quinlan

email sent. I don't know the difference, but I'll check my settings again ...
  •  

wvb

Quote from: "menion"?wvb: what? you put word "enters" in field note and it place all field notes into one line? :)
lol, guess I wasn't clear (it's still "early" :)  )
I normally prefill Field Note like this:
#number
TFTC
So after every line I press the "enter" button
This way every Field Note has the same structure
But in Locus the "enter" press (or is it called new line) isn't saved in the Field Note..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Menion

Ah understand :) .. that's correct because I manually remove all 'new line' entries :), in field notes there have to be one one line, one note. But I don't know exact format that groundspeak accept. Anyway I really suggest use only short notes and complete whole log on web ...

EDIT: Ted - I have really really weird problems (uknown error) with importing of your file. Anyway I copied part with listing to one of my file for testing and now seems to be working fine. So please test later on some testing version or on public (after cca week)
  •  

Ted Quinlan

Ups, just tried and found out that it doesn't import for me either. I always use the zipped Pocket Queries which import just fine. I just took this one file so that you wouldn't have to search through 500 caches or so. Anyway, I think the principle is clear now. Thanks for looking into this, i will of course test as soon as the new version is available and then report back to you ...
  •  

stebu

About the html=true/false. This is chosen by the geocache owner when (s)he writes the short and long descriptions. So both are possible.
  •