Voice NAVIGATION

Started by Menion, August 03, 2011, 15:53:48

Menion

ah damn, thanks, that's it. I'm simulating it at home with some constant speed ... thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

Quote from: "stebu"Navigated with "autozoom", don't really like it :(. But it might be a little more useful, if it would be switched on only during navigation (setting: Off, while navigating, always on).

The voice guidance sometimes tells you lies in situation like "After 50m turn left then after 200m turn right". The second distance is often wrong (I think it might be the first distance repeated).

But these are minor things, the navigation (with Mapquest) gets me where I want to. And that's the major thing!

stebu thanks for email. But when I start navigation (car short) from point
N60.26443, E024.96231 to N60.26282, E024.85737, I heard correct values ...

heh, I've got it. You mean this way when you compute as "cycle" right? Nice :). When you disable navigation, you'll see on this path, red dots. These places contain navigation information, so you may see that there is "missing" point and that value you heard is for next cross and not the nearest ...
  •  

r2d2

not sure to be right here, I have a little point that i miss.

When I use Locus Pro with Navigation (MapQuest...) and I minimize Locus, there is no entry in the status-bar like using record a track. So may be it is not clear that locus is still running.

Please move this replay if needed.

Thank you.
  •  

krzysiekz

Is it possible to use android tts for navigation instead of prerecorded voice?
  •  

stebu

Quote from: "menion"
Quote from: "stebu"The voice guidance sometimes tells you lies in situation like "After 50m turn left then after 200m turn right". The second distance is often wrong (I think it might be the first distance repeated).

stebu thanks for email. But when I start navigation (car short) from point
N60.26443, E024.96231 to N60.26282, E024.85737, I heard correct values ...

heh, I've got it. You mean this way when you compute as "cycle" right? Nice :). When you disable navigation, you'll see on this path, red dots. These places contain navigation information, so you may see that there is "missing" point and that value you heard is for next cross and not the nearest ...
I had my example incorrect. Today I heard on several occasions that the voice told me "after 100m join the motorway then after 50m take the exit right"; the exit was about 2km away!
All the times when the instructions were incorrect, the distance given for the "...then after x meters" was the distance for the first action. I don't have the original track, autorerouting "destroyed" it.
  •  

Menion

OK, I'll check code for next point .. and thanks krzysiekz, good idea with TTS ... implemented ;)
  •  

svartbjorn

I was last week on a business trip in USA and tried out Locus navigation on the freeways. In the US there are a *lot* of "No left turn"s. The MapQuest doesn't seem to supply any such information. That makes Locus navigation kind of useless. Here is a summary of this week's experience (with latest version):

- "No left turn" ignored by MapQuest. I didn't have the chance to check if "One way street" is ignored.
- exit from freeway is missing exit number
- top status line selected to show name of street turning into very often displays "Unknown". That is bad when exiting or entering freeways, since it is important to verify the street I am exiting to or freeway direction when entering. E.g. when I am entering freeway I95, the signs always display e.g. I95N and I95S. Then it is important that Locus displays that on the top status line. It doesn't do that.
- if I create a route in steps with via points in order to force a certain route, the voice says "You have reached your destination" for every via point. Since the route is shown continuing after the via point, Locus obviously knows it is not the final destination. Is it a way to rather say "You have reached your via point" ? Locus also always says "You have reached your destination" when I start the navigation by enabling guiding from the first point on the route. I assume this is the same issue.
- The 2nd status line with the two fields still displays "Unknown" if the field is selected to show "Time of arrival" or "Time to target".
  •  

Menion

hmm thank you for report. I'm sure you understand that there is one big problem. And this is that big part of problems are on MapQuest side and on OpenStreetMaps side and not in Locus itself. I'll look on exit numbers if there aren't somewhere hide these info and also "You have reach destination" is surely problem on my side. Anyway some missing infos are really problem. Time of arrival cannot be simply computed because in Mapsforge data are missing speeds and times for parts of tracks. These values are in CloudMade data but they miss on other side other values ... damn :)

Also may you try to find some place on MapQuest map http://www.mapquest.com/ where you'll get exit numbers or street names and these values are missing in Locus? Don't waste much time with this, I'll be searching too ...
  •  

Khaytsus

Menion,

I just got a chance finally to try TTS today..  Works pretty good, but a few suggestions...  Since it's TTS, can you make it say "feet" to match the units shown?  :)  We're not limited to "yards" when using TTS like when using TomTom voices.

Also, small bug..  if I choose a TomTom voice for example, it gives a small notification of the change worked and the voice menu closes.  For TTS, it just gives the notification and the menu remains open, which made me think it didn't work, although it did.

EDIT:  One more thing I've noticed..  Stuttering, so to speak.  Turn left in.. turn left.. turn left..  turn left in 30 yards.  I dunno why it's doing it, as I'm just approaching a normal left turn at a normal speed, no funny left-left-left type of turn or anything..  I've seen it on several occasions, and I've noticed it happen on the stock PICO TTS as well as SVOX so I think Locus must be sending that data to it repeatedly or something?

BTW, I am trialing SVOX as well.  I had the British voice on (I'm a sucker for the female british accent ;) ) but trying out the American voice today as well.  Haven't tried any other languages, so so far SVOX 3 is working okay.
  •  

krzysiekz

I updated svox main app and voice data to latest version but can't get in work :( Does it work with any other language than english?
  •  

Menion

try new testing version
  •  

krzysiekz

Tried test version and tts works this time. Voice says distance to turn, but it's different than distance displayed.
  •  

Menion

it says nearest lower value shorted by one second ... it should be cca valid distance to point. And if it do not exactly match displayed value this is probably not a problem. You have count that displayed value is also usually one second behind real value etc ...
  •  

VWitte

Hi,

how can the navigation voice volume be controlled?

Thanks!

V.Witte
  •  

dibrial

This would be great. I'm also struggling with volume control to adjust navigation volume.
  •