Voice NAVIGATION

Started by Menion, August 03, 2011, 15:53:48

Menion

exactly. But first step before adding points, press third button on new panel to active track compute ;) .. this is probably what you miss ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

svartbjorn

Auto-zoom, speed controlled:
=============================
You have the auto-zoom feature with auto zooming based on speed. I remember there were a lot of discussions about that feature some time ago. Were this requested by bikers? If so, I guess the speed classes need to depend upon what you are doing - running, biking, driving. User selectable? I do not see how I personally would use speed controlled zooming, so I am just asking what you think?
Question: which zoom level is displayed if it is not available?

Auto-zoom, distance controlled:
=============================
For navigation all car navigators that I know of on the market, use "distance to turn" to control the auto zoom. When you are driving on a motor way at 100km/h and are approaching an exit, you want to see the exit details way before you start slowing down to make the turn. So SPEED controlled auto zoom is not very useful here. Rather DISTANCE controlled zooming is very useful!
  •  

packham

Quote from: "menion"exactly. But first step before adding points, press third button on new panel to active track compute ;) .. this is probably what you miss ...

Oh yes. Indeed that's what I missed!   Thank you menion and svartbjorn  :D
  •  

berkley

Just noticed, that the navigation directions on top left corner covers the little compass icon while map rotation is enabled...
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

thanks, I know, have to do something with this ... ad viewtopic.php?f=10&t=912#p5269
  •  

berkley

What about a quick route calculation feature for the cases that you don't have GPS but Internet connection?

I think about planning some routes going from adress A to B while sitting at home...
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

I hope you know that this is already there :)
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "berkley"What about a quick route calculation feature for the cases that you don't have GPS but Internet connection?

I think about planning some routes going from adress A to B while sitting at home...

Use "Funktionen/Neue Route hinzufuegen" than the icon in the middle and choose car, cycle or walking. Add at least two points and look what happens. :-)
Works very well
J.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
Regards J.
  •  

berkley

Guys, I know about this ;)

I meant something like a direct way to start navigation. At the moment, you have to have the POI's you'd like to travel between stored in the POI database.

I was talking about some direct input. Just like the method (should I say UI) on google maps on desktop.
- click the function "add new route"
- a popup appears where you can select between
   + starting point (enter adress or google places point or whatever)
   + ending navigation here (enter again adress or google places or whatever)
   + add new point between those above
- finally the button "calculate route"

Hope you understand now ;)

Cheers :D
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

I was thinking about something like that. Before few days I have no idea about creating some "navigation" so don't hurry on me :). Firstly functionality, then some new GUI :)
  •  

svartbjorn

I just installed the new release 1.9.7 and tried the nice improvements of CloudMade navigation. Here is something I found trying an "GPS Off" navigation:

-  when I turn on guiding, both using parameter "Yours" or "CloudMade", the created track SOMETIMES changes color to green with a wide outline, no matter which color it has originally. Green is not a good color when the map background is green. I understand the good intention of changing color when  a track is selected for guiding, but that should either be user selectable or not change. In Settings > Guiding > "Style on map" the user can select a color, but that changes only the color of the guide line, not the track. Either this setting should also apply to the track when guiding is on, or there should be a separate color selection for guided track. "Track width" should be an entry here like similar settings in Miscellaneous and in Track Recording. I created 5 tracks, and the color change only happened on 3 of them. The other tracks changed only color to the inverse (blue --> yellow) as it always does when the the map center is over a track. Weird.

- the new look of the turn popup window is nice. However, SOMETIMES, BUT NOT ALWAYS,  it incorrectly shows a straight up-arrow until it is about 2-4 meters left to the turn. Then the correct turn indicator is shown. On the map (overlaid on the streets) , the turn indicator is correct. The turn indicator in the popup window should show the upcoming turn all the time. This only happened on a couple of tracks I created, and only for the first  turns, After some turns, the indicator behaved correctly.
  •  

svartbjorn

I used the CloudMade navigation on a long car trip this weekend. I have mentioned some of these points in previous posts in this thread, but I include everything in a summary here:
1) green highlighting of a CloudMade track with Guiding On doesn't work, since on green background, which is extensively used in maps like Eniro, you don't see it at all. Need user selectable color.
2) speed controlled auto zoom is not usable for car navigation. Need distance controlled auto zoom as used in all car navigators on the market.
3) when zoom a bit out, the car symbol orientation is not stable, but rotates 90 degrees to both sides within seconds. Also often is detected off the track, such that the guiding line comes on.
4) the next turn has a nice white arrow overlaying the intersection on the map, but that causes the turn text to disappear. AFTER the turn is made, then the turn text pops up.
5) when zooming out to see a larger part of the track, the many turn text frames covers most of the map such that you see neither the map nor the text
6) item 4 and 5 above clearly show that the the turn text need to be moved away from all over the map and into a dedicated popup that displays the turn text only for the upcoming turn (refer my earlier posts)

Hope you find this feedback useful.
  •  

svartbjorn

I tried the CloudMade navigation of the new version 1.10.0, which was released today.

One great improvement I liked very much, is the new color used to high light a CloudMade track when selected for guiding. The new purple color is perfect and should be clearly visible on all kind of map backgrounds.

When guiding is turned on for a track, all the turn text disappear, but I think this is better than it was before (stayed on all the time) since now the map and streets are not covered with text labels. I found a useful feature in Locus: Setting > Map > "Show labels". I changed it from Always to "On hover". This removes all turn text from the map until you hit one guiding point with the map center cross (paning the map manually), causing the turn text for just that point to pop up.I certainly understand that things take time to improve and implement, but in a longer run I still hope that the turn text will be moved into a separate popup window (refer earlier posts).

I found one issue with the turn arrow in the large popup window when it comes to roundabouts: it is just confusing and definitely needs improvements: When you approach a roundabout, the turn indicator is a straight arrow telling you to go straight ahead. And the picture shows an intersection of two roads crossing. When you are in the roundabout, the turn indicator in some cases remains a straight arrow, in some cases changes to show a right turn, even when you shall not take the first exit. The turn indicator in this window should show a roundabout with correct exit arrow. I have no problems in understanding that this may be difficult to improve if the navigation info you get back from CloudMade doesn't tell if this is a roundabout and which exit to take. Anyway, this is just my feedback so you are aware of this issue.

And as said before - distance controlled auto zoom would be very useful.

Keep up the great work! Always very exciting each time a new release of Locus is available!
  •  

phoneguy100

Well done Menion, the cloudmade navigation seems superb so far - I am really pleased :-)

Just one question though...

Is it possible to load up a .gpx route that I have made and get the turn by turn images for that?

I know cloudmade will compute a route for me from A to B.  But if I have already planned a route in Google Earth and imported my .gpx file into Locus, am I able to get the turn by signs please?

Cheers and GREAT work as always.
  •  

phoneguy100

Anyone know how to change the icon of the car please?
Cheers.
  •