Question: Which parameters are used to recalculate the track navigation?

Started by Graf Geo, October 14, 2024, 16:08:05

Graf Geo

During my recent vacation, I again noticed some inconsistencies in the track navigation. Specifically, it concerns the recalculation in the event of a deviation from the planned route. It is not entirely clear to me which parameters are used for this.

As soon as I deviate from the planned route (beyond the set value, in my case 100 m), the route is recalculated. The entire route is then given a new name consisting of the date and time of the recalculation (see screenshot 1). In one case, a new track name was even generated, which was completely cryptic and contained the name "brouter" (see screenshot 2), although I created all routes offline with the LoRouter.

Unfortunately, after the recalculation I sometimes got the wrong ETA or time to target again, even if we only made a small detour.

After doing a few tests yesterday, I have the impression that the recalculation is not done with the parameters I used to create the route. Instead, it uses the last set parameters. For example, if I later created a different route with a different average speed.

I first created a test route with an average speed of 2 km/h (slider). Then I created a second route with an average speed of 10 km/h. I then navigated along the first route and deliberately deviated further and further from it. The route was then recalculated every approx. 100 m, which is correct. However, the time to target was calculated shorter and shorter and at some point corresponded to 5, then 7, then 10 km/h. Obviously, the recalculated additional distance is calculated using the last set average speed and not the one that was set when the route was planned. is that right?

In my opinion, it would be better if the recalculation was always based on the speed of the planned route.
As I said, this is my assumption based on my experience and tests. Hence my question, what parameters are used for recalculation during track navigation? I just want to understand how it works.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
SG S10, Android 12, LM 4 Gold (last Release version or Beta)

Graf Geo

Ok, I think I can now see how it is recalculated.

Test example: I create a route A that starts 10 km from my location and is 10 km long. I have set an average speed of 2 km/h. LoRouter calculates a time of 4:55 hours. That fits.

Now I set the slider in the route planner to 10 km/h and navigate from my location to the starting point of route A. LoRouter calculates 59 minutes. Also fits.

Now I cancel the navigation.

Now I click on Route A and start the navigation from my location. The calculated total route is 20 km (correct) and LoRouter calculates a total of 5:55 hours.

Both times are therefore added together. For the newly calculated route to the starting point of route A 59 minutes + the previously saved route A 4:55 hours = approx. 5:55 hours.

This means that when recalculating, the newly calculated section is calculated at the last set speed and the actual planned route is calculated at the speed selected during planning. In other words, a mixture of speeds.

I don't know if I think this is ideal. I would find it more logical if the newly calculated section is also calculated at the speed of the planned route. Now I just have to make sure that I don't set a different speed than I did before when planning the route.

As I plan routes at different speeds (with and without a companion, jogging, walking...) it can happen that a different speed is set.

What do you think?
SG S10, Android 12, LM 4 Gold (last Release version or Beta)
  •