LM 4.22.1 - 'Navigate' starts route planer instead of navigation

Started by TomHH, March 22, 2024, 08:32:10

Graf Geo

Thank you Menion. I agree, "navigate to" and "plan route to" should remain separate as it is.

"Quick navigation button" would be nice.

Timer/countdown: I'm not convinced. I want to navigate immediately (quick button is enough and ideal) or modificate the computed route without "time pressure" - don't want to start unintentionally because I was distracred or too slow when checking the route. 

Quick save button at the top: that already exists (?).

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

SG S10, Android 12
  •  

Tapio

Also dislike a countdown. IMO everything (point menu, sidebar command) need a quick and a careful planning NAVTO.

My ideal Locus would offer this:

Point menu:
a) Navigate to (plan in background. start nav directly!)
b) Plan navigation to...(Start route planner with pre-set endpoint, maybe gps starting point)

IMO here in Menions layout the difference between navto and plan nav to is too small.

Sidebar, a new command:
a) Navigate to screen center. Again, no intermediate planner. Start at GPS, turn it on.
b) Just the normal Route planner. Because "plan navigation" is just that + a button in route planner to start nav.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

TomHH

We tend to overengineer things. IMHO the previous workflow was perfectly fine as it was also covering the use case which I guess was used the most:

- Navigate: from GPS position to point X
- Plan route: do it in detail the way you like/need

but that just my opinion and the way I use LM.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: ThomasD.

Menion

The previous system had a few problems:

- you never knew what you get. The result was always a surprise and you had no simple option to post-modify it
- selection of routing profiles and their parameters was the old way (row with profiles) and does not fit to current new system, which is a lot more flexible
- adding via-points was way too complicated

I still think, that 10 sec timer should solve what you need here. I'll try to describe the steps ...

Start - identical
- click on the point on the map
- choose "Navigate to" from the menu

Old system
- old "Navigate to" screen opens
- click on the "Navigate" button
- app returned to the main screen and once GPS had a valid position, track was computed and nav. started

New system
- the "Route planner" screen opens
- once GPS has a valid position, track is computed
- the 10-second (may be user-defined) timer starts now. If you touch anything (even a map), it will be canceled!!
- you press the "Navigate" button or the timer ends, the app returns to the main screen and nav. starts

So the new system with the timer is even one click less, or in the worst case, the same. The huge advantage is, that is solve all problems I've mentioned at the start.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

TomHH

No timer please! If I want to get it fast, then I click fast!  ;D

Of course my way of using LM isn't the holy grail! It's just the way I use it. That may not be appropriate for others and sometimes it's also changing habits and getting used to it. So in the end all good!

PS: if I could disable the timer then it's fine! :)
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: TomHH on March 27, 2024, 10:27:43No timer please! If I want to get it fast, then I click fast!  ;D

Of course my way of using LM isn't the holy grail! It's just the way I use it. That may not be appropriate for others and sometimes it's also changing habits and getting used to it. So in the end all good!

PS: if I could disable the timer then it's fine! :)
Menion meant timer user-defined. If you don't want it, you don't have to use it. I think the solution is good.
And if we're honest....it never comes down to 10 seconds.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

lor74cas

I agree about the "no countdown", not even as an option there are too many options to get lost in this app  (:o getting lost in an orientation app is paradoxical)
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •