sharing data/geocaching folder with other application

Started by bongo, January 30, 2024, 20:16:19

bongo

i will soon need to switch to a new android device with a recent android version.
so far, i had the data/geocaching folder on the external sd card. this allowed me to stick the sd card to the pc and replace all the html files in the geocaching folder.

unfortunately, new smartphones do no longer have an sd card slot. so this all needs to go to internal memory.

from my experience with several galaxy phones, i learnt that copying a structure of a few ten-thousands of files to the device using usb connection often crashes, either when adding or when deleting the file structure, i.e. it may take several retries and copying takes hours because of the slow usb access when copying many files.
therefore i would like to use an OTA tool like syncthing to synchronize the folder in between pc and android phone. like that, i do not need to connect the phone to the pc for hours.

unfortunately, syncthing is not able to access folders under android/data.
is there an option for locus to have the data/geocaching folder in a different location which can also be accessed from a different tool like syncthing?

btw: i use locus classic
  •  

michaelbechtold

What you could try is this: use a tool like x-plore or TC which still can access /Android/data structures.
x-plore offers a ftp server (I cannot comment if TC can, too). Or you zip the whole stuff and have a single file to transfer.
  •  

Tapio

I'd try TC + SMB (lan plugin) on Android, and do both, pack, transfer to PC, re-transfer on new device from PC, unpack. If you have a Windows PC.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

I've been using for many years ADB plugin to Total commander ... can't live without it  ;)

https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=252125
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

bongo

transferring zipped folders indeed is much faster.
but i think locus is not able to work with zipped folders, right?
i.e. when copying the whole content of data/geocache as a zip file to the device, i need to unpack it before locus can access the html files. right?
  •  

Menion

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

bongo

are there any plans to add zip folder support in the future?
  •  

Menion

Hmm, I'm thinking about it ... there is a lot that happens inside this data/geocaching directory. Automatic offlinizer when looking at caches, GC offlinizer, user-based modifications ...

There are pushes to allow placing the Locus Map root directory to the "android/media" directory that is more easily accessible by the file browsers. This option should help here as well.
  •  

bongo

looks like my plans completely failed  :'(

on the old android 11 device, i was able to sync a zip file with the whole 'new' content to be added to the Locus/data/geocaching folder to the device, and then use TC to extract it to Locus/data/geocaching. this worked fine.

now with the new android 14 device, i haven't found a way to access Locus/data/geocaching under android/data. neither TC nor x-plore allows me to access anything below android/data.
i can only access the locus folder under android/media.

unfortunately, locus does not allow me to configure the geocaching folder to android/media  :'(

is there any workaround to copy files to the geocaching folder within the android/data structure or to allow locus to access html and jpg data in a different location?

actually i feel quite lost  :'(

•  

Menion

Hi, in the next Locus Map 4 version, "Android/media" as a root folder will be supported.
  •  

bongo

sounds good. when is this version expected to be available?
and when can i expect it for classic version?
  •  

Menion

Locus Map will be published next week. The beta version (link in my signature) is already available for testing.

Locus Classic won't receive this change, because since the end of 2023, it is only in maintenance mode and won't receive any bigger updates anymore, only critical bug-fixes.
  •