Tracks file location- replaced phone

Started by Ahiker, January 25, 2024, 04:18:05

Ahiker

I recently got a replacement Google Pixel and used Google's copy/transfer functionality to move my old phone's data to my new pixel. I thought everything had copied over and sent the old phone back after a reset. Unfortunately my recorded tracks may not have been copied over. Does anyone know what the file type or name or default location that the tracks file would've been saved to?
  •  

michaelbechtold

If there is a recovery possible or not totally depends on the backup strategy you employed over the years:
- if you had set up the Locus backup to Google Drive, you are fine
- if you had the backup to another folder on the old Pixel and copied manually (does not sound like that, though), you'd be fine as well
- if you have LM 4 Gold with tracks and points replicated into the Locus remote storage, you'd be fine, too (but would have noticed on the new device, I suppose, as Locus should download the stuff)
- if you have another third party cloud feed for tracks (and maybe points), there is a way at least.
The POI and the track databases reside in /Android/data/menion.android.locus/files/Locus/data/database folder.
If you should have zip backup files from Locus, you can re-import them from Locus.
If you have only gpx or kml files from somewhere, you can import them into Locus and re-populate its database.
Other than above, I fear your tracks would be history.

Any more thoughts from a Locus export colleague?

michaelbechtold

PS: in general, Google transfer is limited to the app install itself, and private app data for some apps only, as far as I experienced.
  •  

Menion

Hmm, indeed ... question to AI reveals that it really is not as simple as I thought. Uff ...

---

As of my last update in April 2023, whether the private directory (like `Android/data/menion.android.locus`) of an Android app is automatically transferred to a new device when using the built-in copy/transfer functionality in Android depends on several factors:

1. **App's Backup Configuration**: Android apps can specify what data gets backed up and what doesn't through the Android backup service. If the app's developer has configured the app to exclude certain data or directories from backup, that data won't be included in the transfer.

2. **Type of Transfer Method**: Different transfer methods (such as Google's backup service, manufacturer-specific transfer tools, or using an external backup and restore application) have varying capabilities regarding what data they can transfer. Some methods may only transfer app APKs and some basic data, while others might transfer more extensive app data.

3. **Android Version and Device Manufacturer**: The specific features and limitations of the transfer process can vary depending on the Android version and the device manufacturer. Some manufacturers might offer more comprehensive data transfer tools than others.

4. **User Permissions and Settings**: The user's backup and transfer settings also play a role. For example, if a user has opted out of certain types of data backup, those data won't be transferred.

5. **Data Stored in `Android/data` Directory**: Typically, the data stored in the `Android/data` directory of an app is considered app-private data. This data is not usually included in automatic backups to Google Drive (unless the app developer has explicitly implemented backup logic for it). Therefore, it's less likely that this data will be transferred automatically to a new device.

### Recommendations:

- **Manual Backup**: If you have important data in an app's private directory, it's a good practice to check if the app provides a way to manually back up data (like an export feature) and use that to transfer your data.
- **App-Specific Instructions**: Refer to the app's documentation or contact the developer for specific instructions on backing up and transferring data.
- **Test Transfer**: If possible, before switching to a new device, you might want to test the transfer process with a secondary device to see if all necessary app data is carried over.

In summary, while some app data is transferred automatically when switching Android devices, the `Android/data` directory's contents may not be included, depending on the factors mentioned above.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

michaelbechtold

@Menion: WOW, THAT's a comprehensive lesson - TXs a lot!!
And those details explain why I have seen different behaviour of various apps over time.

For Locus I suppose and saw that not the complete /Android/data structure is transferred, because it can include huge volume (my tracks.db e.g. has 1.1GB), right?

So, let's see what Ahiker's situation really is, as the initial post did not include much of it.

•  

Menion

I was also living in a world, where the system is more "united". I have been thinking for a long time about looking into this "transfer to new device" problematic. Will have to do it, damn. Just such complicated to test properly ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •