[APP] - version 4.21.+ ( 1/2024 )

Started by Menion, January 23, 2024, 13:53:25

freischneider

Quote from: Tapio on March 11, 2024, 13:27:31
Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2024, 09:25:15@Tapio
Choose location > under this menu is quite a lot of options, so I would rather stick with the united system across the app. Anyway, what is unexpected on the "Navigate to" call?

The search is unexpected. I already know where I want to navigate to and don't need the search. Most of the time when I use "Navigate to" I want to nav from gps pos to screen center.

Wouldn't it be more logical if it came up with the screen as attached?
The route planner should appear first. Then I choose whether I want to set the start or the destination. If I then go to Select destination, Tapio's screen should appear. From there I have all the options, including search.
If I go to navigate from a POI. Then the procedure should be the same. Only that the destination is already selected and I only have to set the start.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)

michaelbechtold

Quote from: freischneider on March 11, 2024, 18:59:05
Quote from: Tapio on March 11, 2024, 13:27:31
Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2024, 09:25:15@Tapio
Choose location > under this menu is quite a lot of options, so I would rather stick with the united system across the app. Anyway, what is unexpected on the "Navigate to" call?

The search is unexpected. I already know where I want to navigate to and don't need the search. Most of the time when I use "Navigate to" I want to nav from gps pos to screen center.

Wouldn't it be more logical if it came up with the screen as attached?
The route planner should appear first. Then I choose whether I want to set the start or the destination. If I then go to Select destination, Tapio's screen should appear. From there I have all the options, including search.
If I go to navigate from a POI. Then the procedure should be the same. Only that the destination is already selected and I only have to set the start.

I started swearing yesterday when trying to route with the latest beta ... Your point is spot on, Tapio!
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2024, 09:25:15@Graf Geo
"Collapse" in all menus > you are good you've found it at all
@Menion - as I commented previously I don't see this "Collapse" in any menu (not that I want it), but why is that? point #2 is the last point.
You cannot view this attachment.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

I'll discuss most of the feedback with Marek tomorrow, but just a few cents ...

Purpose of

"Navigate to" - is to start navigation from the current location to the selected target quickly. So the start is always GPS and the target is the selected point. When using the "Navigate to" function, search is the most logical step from my point of view. If you want to use the screen center - long click on the screen center > bottom panel Navigate to!

"Route planner" - is to start a blank planner where you may start and save your trip from scratch. There is also a shortcut from the detail of point (or again long-click anywhere on the map) > Plan route to. This does not automatically turn on GPS and only sets a point as a target, nothing more.

Is the difference clear? In our team were votes for merging both start-methods into one, but I consider both as specific use-cases that should remain separated.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion, I get the point re. the distinction between those two functions.
However, when using Route Planner, I would expect that selecting a point on the map (in particular a visible POI, regardless if private or from LoMaps DB) would offer me this choice: Navigate or Planner.
In case of Planner, the selected point can be set as target by default. If it should be the starting point instead, it's a split second to reverse the order. In general the new Planner is really cool :-)
Did I miss a point or feature when trying yesterday (and today) ?
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2024, 22:23:29I'll discuss most of the feedback with Marek tomorrow, but just a few cents ...

Purpose of

"Navigate to" - is to start navigation from the current location to the selected target quickly. So the start is always GPS and the target is the selected point. When using the "Navigate to" function, search is the most logical step from my point of view. If you want to use the screen center - long click on the screen center > bottom panel Navigate to!

"Route planner" - is to start a blank planner where you may start and save your trip from scratch. There is also a shortcut from the detail of point (or again long-click anywhere on the map) > Plan route to. This does not automatically turn on GPS and only sets a point as a target, nothing more.

Is the difference clear? In our team were votes for merging both start-methods into one, but I consider both as specific use-cases that should remain separated.

The difference is clear to me. And the route planner is also ok. It should definitely stay.
I don't normally use it to navigate. So I don't care. It was just a suggestion as to how I would proceed.
  •  

Graf Geo

Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2024, 22:23:29.. When using the "Navigate to" function, search is the most logical step from my point of view. If you want to use the screen center - long click on the screen center > bottom panel Navigate to!

I do not agree. In the search I can only search for addresses and LoPoints online. Can't search in my points, contacts, coordinates etc.

Long click on the screen center works only if "tap and hold to display address" ist activated. And it ist not so precise like the cursor position. And I don't like this function activated because it often triggers accidentally and is then annoying.
SG S10, Android 12

Graf Geo

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 11, 2024, 22:14:15@Menion - as I commented previously I don't see this "Collapse" in any menu (not that I want it), but why is that? point #2 is the last point.

"Collapse" appears in the menue of the last item if you have three or more items. This is logical, because two entries cannot be collapsed.
SG S10, Android 12
  •  

Graf Geo

Sorry for the many posts, I found another issue - don't know if it ist a bug or a feature. :)

If I set a shaping point in the route planner far away from a path/road, e.g. in the centre of a lake or field, a straight line is always created (as in "draw manually" mode).

Previously, a message always appeared that the service cannot find this point.

But if this is what you want (feature), it would be ok.
SG S10, Android 12
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Menion on March 11, 2024, 22:23:29When using the "Navigate to" function, search is the most logical step from my point of view. If you want to use the screen center - long click on the screen center > bottom panel Navigate to!
Difference clear.

I think we have different opinions because you're coming from a "navigate to an existing point" perspective.

I'm coming from the perspective where you click "navigate to" in the side bar. There is no point in this context. But there's the screen center as the most likely target. So coming from there, you could either a) instantly set screen center as target (I prefer) or b) ask via above screenshot.

So imo 3 use cases. Plain route planner, navigate in point screen, navigate in side panel.

BTW. "long click on the screen center"? Nothing happens and afaik there's the optional address display.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Graf Geo

I think, Locus is an outdoor app and not a car navigation system. With the latter, searching for addresses would be the usual use case. With an outdoor app like Locus, navigating to a position on the map or a POI or a individual point is a common use case. I don't want to use Locus to navigate to an address in some city, but to a shelter, a crossroads or a small lake, for example...

BTW: can anyone confirm that the route recalculation is much slower in the beta? Routes with many shaping points (20 or more) feel like they take forever to recalculate, regardless of the router.
I have the latest release version 4.21.1 on my old Galaxy S7 and the same tracks are recalculated much faster.
SG S10, Android 12

T-mo

Quote from: Tapio on March 12, 2024, 16:35:59I'm coming from the perspective where you click "navigate to" in the side bar. There is no point in this context. But there's the screen center as the most likely target. So coming from there, you could either a) instantly set screen center as target (I prefer) or b) ask via above screenshot.
I understood your both different perspectives and was thinking exactly the same, just plain search as entry is currently just an empty input without any context. I guess most people will assume a) as underlying logic if the choice would be search. Other services are mostly with b).
Question is: what might be users intention to use a search and with which UI-elements this intention can be narrowed and supported at most. Screen center might be a start. Though there is way more.
  •  

freischneider

If I go to the 3-point menu at the first shaping point. Then "Add Start Location" appears, which is ok. And "Add stop" appears
At first I thought a point would be added at the end. But a point was added after that. So the name should be changed. "Add after"
At the last shaping point there is "Add destination" here there could be an additional option: "Add before"
For the other shaping points in between then "add before" and "add after"

Graf Geo

@freischneider:
For me "add stop" is understandable enough, but for my sake "add after" would be even clearer.
Two options "add after" and "add before" would unnecessarily bloat the 3-point menus.

@Menion and all:
I would still find it helpful if the item in the list could somehow be linked to the point on the map. Or highlight it visually. This helps with a route with many shaping/via points. At the moment I can only see the number in the symbols and have to search for it in the list or on the map. This is a bit annoying on a longer route with many shaping/via points.

In the list, "show in map" could be added in the 3-point menu. On the map when I click on the shaping/via point in the menu add "show in list". See screenshots 1 and 2.

Another thing: In rare cases, an orange error message appears when I move a shaping point in the route on the map (to a normal route/road). The router then calculates for a long time (approx. 10 seconds) and then the message appears. (LoRouter offline)

SG S10, Android 12

freischneider

I have found a bug in Shaping Change point to intermediate destination / turn-off hint.
If I plan a route where there are partially no paths. Then I use a segment manually in between. But at this point no turn-off hint is generated. Therefore I have changed this shaping point to an intermediate destination and renamed the name turn right. Then it is announced during navigation.
This time I didn't use intermediate destination but change to turn-off hint (last symbol with arrow).
Then the shaping point was deleted completely and the route was recalculated without the next segment.
I would have expected the shaping point to be converted into a turn-off hint but still be used as a shaping point in the background during routing.

It would be even better if Locus Map automatically generated a turn-off hint at the beginning and end of a manual segment. This would be based on the angle change of the track. Only for a manual segment, of course. All other segments are done by the router.
  •