Using dual power meter with Locus Map?

Started by BERNHARD.FRIESS, December 12, 2023, 08:52:27

BERNHARD.FRIESS

Hi there,

Lately I acquired two sets of Assioma Duo Shi power meter sensors, a pair for the MTB and one for the Gravelbike.

The sensors are mounted and the first ride was recorded:

You cannot view this attachment.

As the sensor is a dual model which measures power of both legs individually, it should be possible to also record both legs independantly. This allows to monitor disbalances between the two legs.
But it seems Locus Map doesn't record both value series?

Has anyone any experience with this topic?

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Best regards

Bernhard
  •  

BERNHARD.FRIESS

So it seems that I'm the only one person here who uses dual power meter with Locus Map as the recorder and with the expectation, that the "L/R balance" which is transmitted by the sensors everytime is meassured and recorded as well.

@Menion, do you potentially see a chance to check the code of the meassurement and recording of connected powermeters, please?

•  

Menion

Hello Bernhard,

the sensor I use most probably does not support dual-mode (only a single sensor on the bike), so I can't test it directly. Also, I'm not sure, what to do with the "balance" value.

Anyway first test: in the next app (also in the next Beta version), the value should be visible in the "Sensors manager screen" when the sensor is connected.

So if you find a moment, give it a try and let me know, thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

BERNHARD.FRIESS

Quote from: Menion on January 02, 2024, 14:29:57Hello Bernhard,

the sensor I use most probably does not support dual-mode (only a single sensor on the bike), so I can't test it directly. Also, I'm not sure, what to do with the "balance" value.

Anyway first test: in the next app (also in the next Beta version), the value should be visible in the "Sensors manager screen" when the sensor is connected.

Hi Menion,

Man thanks for your feedback! Where and how can I get the next Beta?
I will certainly check and provide feedback!

To your question: on dualsided power meters the balance value should update together with the power readings and I expect the value to be recorded constantly with the power readings (and other values like cadence, speed, altitude).

As a result, after a recorded ride, one can see if and where e.g. at steep hill climbs one has disbalances in power generation.

Best regards and Happy new year!

Bernhard
  •  

freischneider

You can find the link to the beta,s in the footer of Menion. There is currently no new beta available. Just check back in a few days.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)

Andrew Heard

LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

BERNHARD.FRIESS

Quote from: Menion on January 02, 2024, 14:29:57Hello Bernhard,

Hi Menion,

Today I had the chance to ride again. The percentage values visible on the sensor Page at the powermeter Seemeilen not to make too much sense.
It seemed that one value changed to arbitrary values between 0% and 100% and the other just showed the difference to 100%. Especially when I'm not pedalling and so I do not generate power, a 100%/0% seems awkward.

I have connected my sensors via BLE to LM and via ANT+ to ipbike and at least the recording of ipbike seems meaningful, see last diagramm:

You cannot view this attachment.

Would it be helpful if you get the recorded file from ipbike, Menion?

If so, just let me know how I can get you the file.

Best regards

Bernhard

•  

Menion

Hello Bernhard,
thanks for the tests, ipBike screen, and also PM. I'll answer here, to keep the discussion in one place.

External sport sensors are quite an optional feature in the Locus Map so they are not used too much. And in the case of a power sensor, you are the only one I'm aware of, who finds the "balance" value useful. So it has really low priority for me, sorry.

Anyway, I've found one issue - read "balance" value needs to be divided by 2. Because you wrote it already report values 0 - 100, it should be fixed by this (we get 0 - 50%). If this will work in the next version (visible values in the Sensors manager for the "left/right" pedals will make sense), I may add support for balance (probably average from last 3 seconds?) to the dashboard.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •