Route planning along imported tracks

Started by lostinwild, November 30, 2023, 12:32:59

lostinwild

Hi!

Is it possible to use the route planner on imported tracks, as opposed to only tracks on the base map (e.g., OSM)?

Example: I have a bunch of tracks which represent various (short) sections of a network of off-trail routes that are not present on OSM. How can I plan a route between arbitrary points using these tracks?

Thanks!
  •  

Michal

Hi,
it is not possible as you probably imagine it. All routers provided by Locus Map render routes only using the OSM network. Or, you can draw the route manually. One possible workaround, though quite laborious:

- visualize all the "bunch of tracks" on the map
- start the route planner and select the "draw manually" mode
- draw the route along the lines of your imported tracks
PR/support & UXW & copy, Locus team, Asamm Software, Prague
  •  

freischneider

Hello Michael,
I also use manual drawing. If available, I use the OSM routes in the route planner. Sometimes a path is missing in between. I look in Satelite to see if there is one. Then I draw 1 or 2 segments as manual and then hike again. This works really well with the quick switch.
The only problem is the navigation.
Turning instructions are generated for the hiking segments. But not for the manual ones.
Idea: Whenever there is a manual segment, the turn-by-turn directions are generated based on the angle change of the route.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Radim V

Quote from: lostinwild on November 30, 2023, 12:32:59Hi!

Is it possible to use the route planner on imported tracks, as opposed to only tracks on the base map (e.g., OSM)?

Example: I have a bunch of tracks which represent various (short) sections of a network of off-trail routes that are not present on OSM. How can I plan a route between arbitrary points using these tracks?

Thanks!

Hi. From the computer science point of view this is certainly doable. The only real challenge is reliable detection of segments intersection. (Assuming all segments are accessible in both directions). But: such a work is a lot of work. The result would be a toy for few people imho. As a learning/hobby project this is a good idea/topic. For practical use I would follow what Michal suggested. 
  •  

Michal

Quote from: freischneider on November 30, 2023, 17:17:24Turning instructions are generated for the hiking segments. But not for the manual ones.
Idea: Whenever there is a manual segment, the turn-by-turn directions are generated based on the angle change of the route.
Locus Map only generates navigation commands according to the route shape if the route doesn't contain any commands at all. Combining this method with commands rendered by the router would probably cause a mess.
PR/support & UXW & copy, Locus team, Asamm Software, Prague
  •