Android file management and ignorance - help!

Started by 2012, November 06, 2023, 10:56:43

OK, I've seen the signs and messages about Android file management issues coming up. But I haven't paid enough attention and been proactive, the process to futureproof things never seemed straightforward to me (other things going on in life forcing me to deprioritize this for a long time) and I am now in a situation that I probably could have avoided. But is there anything I can do now to minimize damages?

The situation:
I have been using Locus for many many years and have a large number of custom tracks and points, custom offline and online (provider) maps. I use these a lot and make additions often.
Suddenly some time ago, everything custom was gone. (I am not totally surprised because I was dreading this because I hadn't put the time into learning about the change that I recognized I should have.)
I am on Android 14 since some recent time. I am pretty sure that I have had some backup set up to run at regular intervals, internal to Locus and backing up to Google Drive probably. But I don't think(?) it backed up the massive (multi-GB large) custom offline maps I have made.

What can I do (if possible) to recover as much as I can of what I had? (What should I not do, that could make things worse?)

How should I set upp things to run well from now on?

Sorry to be the one to come with a self-afflicted mess and ask for help. I am really thankful for your advice and afraid that if I start trying to fix things myself it will not work out well.
  •  

Forgot to mention that I also had a bunch of bought downloaded map content.

I can use adb and/or Android file managers if that is of help.
  •  

michaelbechtold

First let's understand if we talk about the same device. If not - do you have access to the previous one?
  •  

Quote from: michaelbechtold on November 06, 2023, 14:14:48First let's understand if we talk about the same device. If not - do you have access to the previous one?

It is the same device, sorry to be unclear!
  •  

michaelbechtold

No problem.
Where I'm scratching my head is: the painful restrictions by Google for the file system access do exist since Android 11. Hence, if you came from Android 11+ and it worked before until recently (upgrade to 14): what was special about your Android 14 upgrade? HHas the device been wiped on the way to Android 14?
If not wiped, then you can try x-plore or Total Commander to get access to the private data structures where your data should be residing still. But then, on the other hand, also Locus should work seamlessly as the structure would not have changed.
I.e. still some digging to find essential facts ...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: 2012

This was an upgrade from Android 13 to 14, the device has never been wiped, things worked fine on Android 13 as late as in August. I cannot say how I survived for so long, but I did.

But more importantly - whew! I found all my 18.66 GB of Locus data in /storage/emulated/0/Locus (equivalent to /sdcard/Locus).
I see that in Locus > Set up > Settings > Backup & filesystem > File system manager > Set the main directory it is now clear that the "Internal storage" (ie /sdcard/Locus as above) location is no longer a valid option and the suggested location is instead
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/menion.android.locus/files/Locus.

So data seems OK so far, on to migrating the data and setting things up to work smoothly from now on.
The problem with the suggested location is that the file managers cannot access /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/* locations.

I see here that there is a tool for transferring the data: https://docs.locusmap.app/doku.php?id=manual:faq:single_update
Though it seems it is now accessible through Locus > Set up > Settings > Backup & filesystem > App data transfer.
I am not sure why this transfer hasn't triggered before for me, and if it will indeed be able to handle my (unusually large?) amount of data without a snag. I don't have that much free space on the device, but maybe I could free it up.

It seems that I will still have a more complicated procedure adding/modifying custom generated map data in the future. I used to just do this with my Android file manager/editor apps. But I guess there is no simple way around it anymore.
  •  

michaelbechtold

The standard file manager is not able to look into the private data. Tools like TC or x-plore can do that when you grant permission once asked by Android.

In any case I recommend to back up your 18+ GB of data by connecting via USB cable to a PC, Laptop or OTG drive, before taking further action to move data on the device itself.

Also, you can move all the maps to the semi-private structure in /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/menion.android.locus. Folder maps and mapsVector for the respective files. The .../media/... structure is accessible by more file managers.

•  

john_percy

For me, both TC and X-plore have lost the ability to access new system files since a minor over the air Android upgrade.  :(
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

michaelbechtold

•  

john_percy

Android 13. TC was working perfectly then the phone did a silent update...
  •  

john_percy

If it is of help to anyone else there appears to be one way of accessing Android data files that is still working, using a hidden Android files app that is inaccessible by default but can be opened via this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files
It has its limitations and you can only copy files into data folders by drag and drop in a two window scenario (floating worked for me).
It's all explained here: https://droidwin.com/how-to-access-android-13-data-and-obb-folder-transfer-files-in-them/
Notes
1. I didn't have to disable the default files app as described. I think the Playstore app has been updated to avoid that
2. I had to use a floating window rather than a split one, which no longer works
  •