Can you only run ONE copy of Locus Maps 4 ad-free?

Started by Jochen K, October 13, 2023, 17:03:54

Jochen K

Hi,

I just finished moving stuff from my trusty old Galaxy A5(2017) to a brand new Galaxy A14 5G.

Yesterday I recorded the first track on the new device, and had a vague feeling that the track looked more jagged than expected - especially as the A14 can receive data from up to 47 satellites, compared to the A5's 23.

So, today I compared...

Two results from walking to the supermarket and back - both devices side by side in the same hand:

1. The track looks MUCH better on the OLD device - the A14 is, in this respect, simply crap (see attached Screenshots - the first two are from the A5 - Nr.2 transferred to the A14, as without "Pro" there's no altitude graph.)

2. Locus 4 on the old device told me "tired of ads? Go Pro!" Is this expected behaviour?

Regards,
Jochen

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
From Bonn on the river Rhine,
2000 years old
but young at heart.
  •  

michaelbechtold

If the A5 (2017) runs Locus 3 Classic (Pro in old terminology) and the A14 runs LM4, this is correct behaviour.

"Pro" in LM4 terms means a silver or gold subscription.
If you have LM 3 Classic as "Pro", you will have a discount for the first year (if I recall correctly, Silver is free in year 1 in this case)
  •  

freischneider

1. the device should actually be better. Possibly the receiver is not in order.
The jumps in height they can improve with filters. Furthermore I recommend the Lidar altitude data from Sonny.
2. you have several possibilities. On both devices Locus Map 3 Pro (LM3) . On both devices LM4 with advertising. On both devices LM4 Silver doer Gold (without advertising).
If you have LM3, you get LM4 Silver for one year for free or Gold for half price. You can then use it on both devices. You need to log in to the Locus Store with the same Locus account.
For LM3, they need to be signed into the Play Store with the same Google Account.
If you say after a year (or even earlier) I do not want the subscription. You can always go back to LM3 or LM4 with advertising.
But you should know that LM3 will not be developed further. It is only kept running and bugs fixed. New features come only in LM4. and Possibly in a few years it falls away completely.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Andrew Heard

I have an A5. it has an altimeter, which provides greater height accuracy than just the using the GPS.

According to https://www.gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/samsung/galaxya145g/ the A14 doesn't have an altimeter.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Jochen K

Hi,

thanks for your answers.

To make sure, I just switched on my A5 again - and as expected (after all, I transferred all the apps that could be transferred from A5 to A14), ,,About this app/AppInfo" quotes the version number 4.19.0. (...and I "am golden".)
So this means there should be no ads?

I didn't know about the altimeter; this would explain the jagged altitude graph - but surely not why, according to the track, I stumbled all over the place, crossing and re-crossing the street several times, including once when the A5 shows me in a bakery on the south side, whereas the A14 has me race across into a building on the north side!

Kind Regards,
Jochen
2000 years old
but young at heart.
  •  

Andrew Heard

it does sound like the A14 positions are not updated as often. are you sure the track recording profiles are the same? you could also disable the pressure sensor on the A5 for a fairer comparison.
  •  

freischneider

Did they backup the settings and then apply the backup to the new phone ? Best to backup everything.
If you want Gold you have to log in to the Locus Store with the same Locus Account you used to buy Gold.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Jochen K

I did do a manual backup on the A5, and restored that on the A14.
I also downloaded an up-to-date LoMap of the region where I was on holiday, and somewhere was told I had Gold status.
2000 years old
but young at heart.
  •  

Andrew Heard

can you export the recoded track from each phone, then open as a text file, and check the frequency of timestamps? And check the settings are identical on both phones: settings > track recording > profile > distance & time intervals?
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Jochen K

Jochen K

Quote from: Andrew Heard on October 15, 2023, 12:57:26can you ... check the frequency of timestamps? And check the settings ...?

The settings are indeed different - when the very first track was unsatisfactory, I changed the settings to "1m AND 1s" and never bothered to look at the A5 (2m AND 2s) - with corresponding time stamps of mostly  1 to 2s / 2 to 3s.
However, I fail to see how this can cause the A14 to have me cross the street ten times west of the bulge, whereas the A5 track is mostly on the kerb and just once has me walk in the middle of the street.
2000 years old
but young at heart.
  •  

Andrew Heard

no, you're correct, that doesn't explain it, sorry - frustrating

you didn't mention checking text file timestamps...

I use 25m/ 240s. it's more about minimising battery usage but the accuracy/ resolution is quite acceptable for me
  •  

Henk van der Spek

I found that on classic the Google assisted location makes it worse (on my motorola). Out in the open I see in the topbar a horizontal accuracy of about 4 meters. I think you should not expect more.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g82 5G met Tapatalk

Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Jochen K

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on October 15, 2023, 21:10:59... horizontal accuracy of about 4 meters. I think you should not expect more.

I don't - that's about what the A5 delivered on that walk; the A14, however, sometimes deviated from my actual path by more than 10m. Too much, as obviously "better" was possible.
2000 years old
but young at heart.
  •