How to pause/resume track recording when changing phone battery?

Started by roooo, September 24, 2023, 11:09:20

roooo

Hi all,

I've been using Locus Pro to track my runs for more than 12 years now. For Ultras longer than 12h, I'm using an old phone with interchangeable battery. With old versions of Locus, I usually stopped recording when my battery was low, changed battery and started a new recording after the phone was powered back on.

I was very (!) excited to see that with current Locus versions (mine is 3.68.2), after the phone shut down (once due to dropping it, another time because it ran out of battery) Locus resumed track recording after the phone was powered back on.

Now my question is: how would I best do this on purpose? Pause recording, shut down the phone and resume after powering back on?

Your suggestions will be much appreciated!
r.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Pausing, ... is the gentle (and better) way. Brute force swap of battery (even without Android shutdown) works as well (as you already experienced :-)
  •  

roooo

Thanks. So you mean pausing track recording, then shutting down the phone, or pausing, exiting Locus and then shutting down the phone?

r.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Exit Locus with or without pause does the job, as long as you keep the recording alive (do not touch the upper part of the Exit window!).
Just tested on LM3 and LM4.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: roooo

Andrew Heard

Simply turning off the device without further touching LM will do the job for me. Quite robust & reliable.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

The best should be as @Andrew Heard wrote.

App (if we will talk about track recording), is prepared to accidentally shutdown of the whole system. So when you restore the power of the device within 10 minutes, the recording should even start again automatically.

"Pause" before the shutdown will do its work as well. The small benefit of this is that you won't lose the last few seconds of your recordings, as may happen if you do not "pause" recording before.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: Menion on September 25, 2023, 09:38:40App (if we will talk about track recording), is prepared to accidentally shutdown of the whole system. So when you restore the power of the device within 10 minutes, the recording should even start again automatically.
Thanks Menion,
it's something that I, like Andrew Heard, have also tested and I confirm that it is truly a great feature of Locus.
I didn't know about the 10 minute limit, if it is exceeded Locus creates two tracks, closes the abruptly interrupted one and opens a new one?
Maybe 10 are few, especially if you don't notice that the battery has abandoned you, the low battery warning on Android has never been very relevant, perhaps you could put in place a proper acoustic warning below a certain charge threshold directly in Locus.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: balloni55

roooo

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions! The tracking robustness and resume feature are truly awesome. But as pointed out by @lor74cas, 10 minutes are quite a tight limit if you happen to miss battery warnings (if any).

Cheers,
r.
  •  

Menion

Nono, I did not describe it perfectly.

The app always allows to continue in the previous recording, even after a day or more.

What happens if you reboot the device within 10 minutes is that recording should continue automatically without the need to start it manually in the app. Otherwise, you have to open the app, the side recording panel should open automatically and you have to press the "Start" button. That`s all. No data should be lost in any case!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

roooo

Ah ok thanks - I got it. I was already wondering that in both previous cases Locus automatically re-launched and continued track recording after I had restarted the phone. Quite a neat feature tbh., and now I now about the 10min-rule :-)
  •