Track recording to be persistent for app restart

Started by G, August 19, 2023, 17:55:29

G

Track recording should store track and recording status to disk regularly during recording, so that in case the app restarts it can resume recording.

Currently the app loses recorded track upon restarting, which is a likely situation due to battery optimization of the phone, user error or phone power issue.

I've lost several tracks recently during hiking (solution should be offline) when the aboves occurred at the end of the day and several hours of data has been lost, although most of the track was recorded properly and could have been saved. Alps missing my tracks...

I imagine the app asking for file system permission and keeping a file with the waypoints being recorded. Updating that e.g. every 5 minutes. When app starts, it checks for this file and if recording was likely interrupted, it prompts the user to resume recording or save track.
  •  

Tapio

Not my experience. In case of Android crash/reboot I never lost a track and Locus continued recording the restored track. Happened to me ~3 times over the years.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Andrew Heard

I agree with @Tapio. The track IS (normally) regularly saved & generally not lost even if phone randomly crashes/ turned off etc. So unfortunately G this seems to be a problem more specific to you.
LM4.23.1.2 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

freischneider

You write about multiple tracks. Maybe your database was deleted. Some telephones do this with cleaning programs. The program simply deletes files. It thinks you don't need it anymore. I have disabled all these apps and removed their permissions.
Luckily I had a backup at the time. I also automatically export all tracks to the cloud when I save.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: Tapio on August 19, 2023, 19:45:35Not my experience. In case of Android crash/reboot I never lost a track and Locus continued recording the restored track. Happened to me ~3 times over the years.
I confirm, in the rare cases in which it happened I was always amazed how the track was then easily recovered when restarting locus.
To be sure that something hasn't changed, I did a test: I started the track and after a few minutes I switched off and restarted the device, when in locus the track is automatically resumed.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Menion

First post and five days without a response. Some weird topics appear here and maybe thanks to AI, they seem to be too precise to simply distinguish from spam as before...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on August 24, 2023, 11:00:36First post and five days without a response.
@menion five days? @freischneider & @lor74cas replied 2 days ago?
LM4.23.1.2 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •